What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No flash on Xoom, it keeps getting better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, if you look at the PC World article and then go to Verizon's website as is hyperlinked yes, it does say in fine print in the bottom, that Adobe Flash IN GENERAL will be available in Spring 2011. I would think that means NOT on launch day of 2/24. Otherwise, why would they bother to say Spring 2011? Why wouldn't they clarify that the user could install such and such version instead until then? So it sounds indicative of a delay.

I read further on the issue. This is the issue. The official 10.1 in the market does not support the Tegra 2 chip that is in the Xoom. The 10.2 update WILL support these SoC's, but that doesn't come until Spring 2011. There are versions of 10.1 that DO support the Tegra 2 SoC online, like here:

Potential Motorola XOOM Owners, Here is a Tegra 2 Flash 10.1 File to Try - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

So if you want flash, all you would have to do is install that file and you got it until the 10.2 update is released by Adobe.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Thphilli said:
Probably because I don't push inaccurate information every chance I get. And yes he can ban me. Its a forum, not life and death. If I get banned for pointing out the truth, which is EXACTLY what I did, then so be it. Its funny that when I call him out for trolling, which I have done in the past, no one EVER says that he isn't trolling, but rather that he could ban me for pointing it out. I don't think mods should be trolling EVER, and certainly not every chance they get. If the mods feel differently about a mod trolling every single Android related article and ban me, then I probably wouldn't want to be a part of the forum anyways.

Dude. Calm down. Seriously...

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
here is an article from PC World in it's entirety:

Hard Sell: Motorola's $800 Xoom Tablet, No Flash Support

Apple may not have to worry too much about Motorola's Xoom tablet considering its steep price and lack of the competitive feature Adobe Flash
By Daniel Ionescu, PCWorld* * Feb 21, 2011 8:13 am

23_xoom1.jpg

Motorola's Xoom tablet is seen by many as the iPad's first big competitor, but its steep $800 price and lack of Adobe Flash support suggest otherwise.

Has the upcoming Motorola Xoom fallen at the first hurdle in the fight against Apple's iPad dominance? After Motorola announced its iPad competitor will cost more than the iPad, a Verizon promo uncovered the fact that the Xoom won't come with support for Adobe's Flash technology until sometime this spring.

Support for Adobe's Flash technology has been an argument for the Android operating system since Apple CEO Steve Jobs notoriously said that Flash is a dying technology and that it won't make it onto iOS devices for several reasons. Flash support appeared in Android with version 2.2 and Google even flaunted it as a killer feature for tablets running Honeycomb (3.0), like the Motorola Xoom.

But it looks like Adobe and/or Google have yet to put the finishing touches on Flash's implementation in Android 3.0. An advertisement for the Xoom on Verizon's site says (in 6 point text at the bottom) that Adobe Flash support on the Xoom is expected in Spring 2011, meaning this functionality won't be available at the launch of the first Honeycomb tablet on February 24. Considering how slow carriers and manufacturers are when it comes to software updates, this Spring 2011 update could mean more like late Spring 2011 ETA.

Meanwhile, Adobe said last week at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona that it is still working on Flash 10.2 for smartphones and tablets running Android. The company promised users of dual-core tablets and phones will benefit of HD Flash video and up to 30 frames per second performance. Flash 10.2 for Windows and Mac has been released earlier this month, but Adobe gave no clear indication when the mobile version of the plug-in will actually be available for users.

So far, despite positive initial reactions from reviewers, the Motorola Xoom has failed two tests against the iPad. Despite the Xoom's better specifications, the tablet is still more expensive than the closest iPad match. The 32GB 3G iPad costs $729, while the Xoom equivalent is $800, besides any contracts you might have to sign with Verizon. Add that to the fact that Flash support will be missing initially, a defining feature in the war against the iPad, and Xoom's chances to be a major hit suddenly don't stack up that well.

Hard Sell: Motorola's $800 Xoom Tablet, No Flash Support - PCWorld

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Guys, lets just try and show some mutual respect. Having differing opinions is fine, but please be respectful about the way you need to respond.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zorah said:
Actually, if you look at the PC World article and then go to Verizon's website as is hyperlinked yes, it does say in fine print in the bottom, that Adobe Flash IN GENERAL will be available in Spring 2011. I would think that means NOT on launch day of 2/24. Otherwise, why would they bother to say Spring 2011? Why wouldn't they clarify that the user could install such and such version instead until then? So it sounds indicative of a delay.

The only reason I suggested that you could install Flash 10.1 is because that's what the testers that were running the pre-release models said they were doing. I'm sure the reason the Xoom comes without flash installed is because Adobe doesn't want a version that isn't best for the device to come installed on the device. I would bet that an older version of Flash not made for this version of Android is going to have some issues which would make Adobe look bad.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DaveSt said:
The only reason I suggested that you could install Flash 10.1 is because that's what the testers that were running the pre-release models said they were doing. I'm sure the reason the Xoom comes without flash installed is because Adobe doesn't want a version that isn't best for the device to come installed on the device. I would bet that an older version of Flash not made for this version of Android is going to have some issues which would make Adobe look bad.

I would more than agree with the point that no way does Adobe want a version not best for the Xoom to be installed on it yet. Good guess. But since it's open source, users can install what they want, albeit at their own risk. Well, "Spring 2011" isn't exactly a pinned down date range, kind of like could be anywhere from roughly 3/21 to 6/21 or so, eh?? Hopefully sooner for those folks.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
But since it's open source, users can install what they want, albeit at their own risk. .

I hope Motorola, Google, Adobe, and Verizon have all figured out how they will support a Xoom tablet owner and how far they will go to help an enduser figure out a self-inflicted problem.

The suggestion that you can install anything you want on this device with the implication that it will work, is very good news to third party vendors who provide hardware/software support.

Last edited:

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm going to completely ignore the obvious bait that was laid for me in this read to try to get me banned. Considering that they have a big red bullseye painted on my user name just waiting to get rid of me, I'm not going to argue.

I will say these FACTS:

1) FACT: Adobe released a public statement only hours after this story first surfaced. They said Flash 10.2 will be available within a few weeks. Not a big deal.

2) FACT: You CAN install Flash on the Xoom the very first day. It just won't be the version specifically optimized for the processor and the operating system. That version will be out in a few short weeks. How many weeks until it's available for the iPad again?

3) FACT: I'm not "pissed" even a little bit by this news. I'm actually surprised more people weren't already aware of the distinct possibility. Adobe has always been this way.

I would much rather have Motorola release the Xoom before the optimized version of Flash is ready than have them delay a device that is otherwise ready to rock. Flash is a big deal, but the Xoom has about 20 other features I'm really excited about.

So, sorry, this attempt to bait me into get banned has failed, better luck next time!

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But since it's open source, users can install what they want, albeit at their own risk. .

I hope Motorola, Google, Adobe, and Verizon have all figured out how they will support a Xoom tablet owner and how far they will go to help an enduser figure out a self-inflicted problem.

The suggestion that you can install anything you want on this device with the implication that it will work, is very good news to third party vendors who provide hardware/software support.

Exactly. The whole idea is it is open source for people to be able to tinker with. Therefore, the big four you stated will all have to figure out what all they are willing to do. What about the other carriers besides Verizon or do they have the exclusive market on the Xoom for a while? I read too that it is being launched for $599 if people agree to a 2 year data plan. Either way-ought to be interesting. Wonder when the WIFI only will be launched, as I read that is supposed to cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $599.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was going to buy the 3G/4G version just because I figured they would do it the same way the iPad did, meaning that the Wi-Fi only would not have GPS built in. But luckily, the $600 Wi-Fi only version will have GPS, so I'll be getting that one.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts