What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No delete button for gmail emails?

jessallie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After I'm finished reading an email I want it gone. I don't understand why there is no delete or trash button for gmail. I also have a comcast and aol account on my ipad and there is a delete button that works just fine, but none for the gmail account. I've been moving them to the trash folder but they are just sitting in there. How do I totally get rid of old unwanted gmail emails? Thanks.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You need to turn off "archive" then you will get a delete button.

To be honest, gmail gives you such a huge amount of storage, I never delete anything. I have had my gmail account from back in the distant past when you needed an invite to get an account, and I still have used less than 10% of my storage. Everything is archived.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To turn off archiving, go to Settings/Mail, Contacts, Calendars/Gmail and there is a slider to turn off archiving.

OP
J

jessallie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I would have never figured it out. I didn't even know I had it turned on.

ipad kiosk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
ipadikiosk.com
I love gmail, the only knock on it is they monitor all our personal information sent by email. But i cant live with out it. You Right KevinJS, you do have storage for a lifetime!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be too concerned about the monitoring. It might appear that there is monitoring going on, as the advertising seems to bear it out, but it's largely automatic based on keywords.

If you are concerned, I believe PGP still works and allows you to encrypt everything you send. Me? I couldn't be bothered. I'm so unconcerned about privacy, I even have a Facebook account.

Most reactions

Latest posts