What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No audio!!

oldfool33

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am unable to get sound on music or speech. A small grey patch appears on the middle of the screen with waves emerging from it. This appears to be part of the problem.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forums.

Sounds as if you may have your volume muted. Have you, by chance, got your mute switch toggled? It's on the upper right hand side (with the Home button down). Try moving that to the opposite direction...

If that doesn't do anything, double click on the Home button and swipe to the right. A speaker-like control ought to appear. It may have a line through it - tap it to remove the line. Or, move the bar/circle next to that icon to increase the sound.

Any of that help? If not, let us know and we'll work more to get you sorted out.

Marilyn

OP
O

oldfool33

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still no success

When I slide the toggle switch a line appears very briefly and then disappears. (2)when I go to the bar/circle you refer to there is a padlock symbol . With the padlock not locked I slide the audio bar/circle and a brief sound is heard and the bar/circle slides automatically back. (please continue to advise me!!!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you try Marilyn's second suggestion? The mute switch function can be re-assigned from the physical switch next to the volume control to a 'soft switch' in the multi-task bar. Double-tap the Home button to open the multi-task bar, flick the multi-task bar to the right and that will reveal some additional controls - a duplicate volume control and another switch - which can be assigned to be either the orientation lock or the mute button. Since it seems as though you've got the physical switch set as the orientation lock, the soft switch should be the mute control.

You can change the assignments later on in the 'Settings' menu.

Tim

OP
O

oldfool33

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Audio problem

Please explain the steps I need to take as if I were a small child as I am very ancient. (1) I double tapped the home switch and flicked the screen as you told me. I am facing the longer side of the iPad with the home switch situated on my right. I see a slide switc on my left for brightness adjustment and a. Slide switch on my right for sound adjustment. I also see on the edges two symbols, one black with a padlock pictured and an orange symbol on my right.Please explain very clearly what I should now do. As separate question please explain the function of the. longer of the two physical switches on the top left of the iPad as it doesn't seem to move stall when I press it( I am looking at the longer side of the iPad with the home switch on my right). Thank you for you patience and advice.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please explain the steps I need to take as if I were a small child as I am very ancient. (1) I double tapped the home switch and flicked the screen as you told me. I am facing the longer side of the iPad with the home switch situated on my right. I see a slide switc on my left for brightness adjustment and a. Slide switch on my right for sound adjustment. I also see on the edges two symbols, one black with a padlock pictured and an orange symbol on my right.Please explain very clearly what I should now do. As separate question please explain the function of the. longer of the two physical switches on the top left of the iPad as it doesn't seem to move stall when I press it( I am looking at the longer side of the iPad with the home switch on my right). Thank you for you patience and advice.

OK - you are doing alright and your description was very clear and helpful.

So - in the multi-task bar - you have identified the brightness control and the 'soft' volume control. The symbol with the padlock in it is the orientation lock and, if it's displaying a padlock, it means that the screen of the iPad won't automatically re-orientate itself if you turn it from landscape to portrait. Using that control (just tap it) you can turn the orientation lock on and off. The orange symbol on the right hand side is the iPod control.

The fact that you have the padlock symbol in the multi-task bar means that the mute control is assigned to the physical switch. You mention the two physical switches next to each other on the upper right hand side of the iPad (if the Home button is at the bottom). The shorter switch is the Mute control and turns some - but not all - sounds on and off independent of the position of the volume control. Typically it turns off 'systems sounds' such as the arrival of new email.

The longer switch that you mention is a 'rocker' switch and controls the volume - it doesn't slide but you can press its upper edge to increase the volume and its lower edge to decrease the volume ('upper' and 'lower' being with the Home button at the bottom of the iPad again). If you press and hold the lower edge of the volume control the volume will - after a very short interval - suddenly fall to zero - it's a quick way of turning the sound down. If you want to gradually reduce the volume in small steps you have to repeatedly tap the lower edge of the volume control.

When you adjust the volume using this control you should see a graphic appear on the screen that shows the level of the volume on a short 'bar scale'.

OK - try some of these things out and get back to us - we're here to help so don't hesitate to come back with follow up questions. And don't worry about asking 'stupid' questions - there is no such thing. Only the answers might be stupid...:(

Have fun and enjoy exploring your iPad.

Tim

OP
O

oldfool33

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Understanding more

Went to settings,general,use side switch to lock rotation. There is now no tick against mute in settings, and presumably sound is controlled by the sliders in iPod and the slider I mentioned in my last message. But still no sound except when I push th slider and hold it in place for a moment after which it slips back. Any advice as to what next to do. Thanks Tim.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - but if you've changed the mute control to be in the multi-task bar you'll need to go there now to 'un mute' the iPad. So open the multi-task bar, flick right and change the mute switch so that it's off.

Tim

OP
O

oldfool33

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Further discussion audio

In the multi-task bar on the extreme left there is now a symbol of a speaker with waves emanating from it. Before my last message I tapped the speaker to eliminate the diagonal line across it. Was that what you meant by un-muting the I pad? or am I missing something important?.
Still no audio.
Ewen

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No - that's just right, you've not done anything wrong.

OK - we have to teach the iPad who's boss!!!!

To begin with we'll be a bit gentle then, if the iPad doesn't take the hint, we'll roll out the big guns!!

Let's shut the iPad down (unless you've already tried this) rather than just putting 'her' to sleep. Press and hold the Power button until the slider control comes up. Slide the slider control in order to accept the offer to power down. A rotating white bezel will appear in the screen as the iPad powers down.

When the screen had gone completely blank, press and hold the Power button again until the white Apple logo appears. The iPad will power up - it takes about 30 seconds. During this time the screen orientation is locked, so don't worry. Just before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little jingle (tune) and, a few seconds later, you're up and running.

In fact Apple, on their website, recommend you power the iPad down on a regular basis anyway - it's good procedure and 'cleans things up'.

See if the problem persists. If it does - we'll 'up the anti' a bit.....:D

Don't worry, we'll sort it out...

Tim

OP
O

oldfool33

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Problem solved

By tapping on some other app or task other than safari, mail or iPod I got the troublesome square which appeared in the centre of all screens to disappear after which it proved possible to slide the audio volume control without it immediately sliding back. All is now well and I am thankful to you for your help without which I'd have had no success. There are many mysteries about the marvelous device, which I'm glad to have.
'
Ewen

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great to hear - thanks for letting us know - it will add to our ever-increasing collection of 'fixes' for the iPad.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts