What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No audio anymore during charges

Burnie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Audio works fine if I unplug, but no audio when plugged in.... Why? It used to work so that I could watch movies at night whilst recharging the ipad1

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The easiest first way to try to solve ‘unexplained’ or ‘unusual’ problems with the iPad are:-

Force the offending app to close. If you have iOS 4.2 or 4.3 double-press the ‘Home’ button to bring up the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen. Press *and hold* any icon until they start to ‘jiggle’. Then tap the top left-hand corner of the app that you want to close. It will ‘disappear’ from the list. Don’t panic - you’ve not deleted it, just closed it. Now tap the Home screen and the multi-task bar will disappear. Re-open the iPad’s app and see if the problem has resolved itself. If not, it’s on to possible solution number two!!
Restart the iPad. Press *and hold* the Power button. After a couple of seconds a slider control will appear asking you to confirm that you really want to switch the iPad off (this is all you’ll be doing). Slide the control to accept. A rotating white ‘bezel’ will appear in the iPad screen as the iPad powers down (it takes a few seconds, just like it would if you were shutting down your PC). When the screen of the iPad has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the Power button for a couple of seconds until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad starts to power up. This takes several seconds, so be patient. During the power up the automatic screen orientation function is disabled, so don’t panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little ‘jingle’ and then you’re back to the Home screen. Restart the iPad’s app and see if the problem persists. Apple (and Forum members) recommend that you power down your iPad at least once a week, just as you might regularly completely switch off your PC. The normal procedure of just briefly pressing the Power button of the iPad merely puts it to ‘sleep’. Most Forum members have found that one of the two methods I’ve mentioned here cure a whole bunch of unexplained problems and are an easy first step to resolving most anything that happens on the iPad.

Tim
Scotland

OP
B

Burnie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim, but rebooting doesn't solve audio problem!:confused::confused:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim, but rebooting doesn't solve audio problem!:confused::confused:

Are you listening using the iPad's internal speaker, a wired headset or a Bluetooth headset? Does the audio cut out immediately you plug the charger in - i.e if you leave the charger connected but not plugged in to the power outlet does the audio go off the? I'm trying to establish whether it's the insertion of the plug into the iPad that's causing the problem or whether it's the actual process of charging?

Tim

OP
B

Burnie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,
I am using the regular speakers on the iPad or through earplugs.
Once the charger is plugged in (even if not to power), the sound cuts off. The other notable change on the podcast screen is a "dock connector" indicated in place of the upper left volume icon that indicates volume intensity. There is also a change from play  to pause.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - it sounds as though your USB connector (i.e. the one that connects the charger to the iPad) has developed a fault and that it's convincing the iPad that it's connected to the dock when you connect to the charger. I'm assuming you don't have a spare cable? I'd suggest - if you have an Apple Store near you - that you take your iPad there and try on one of the Store's USB connectors. If it's faulty, they should replace it for you.

It seems unlikely that the fault lies with the socket in the iPad itself, otherwise we'd expect to see that problem all the time though I accept it's not impossible it's the iPad socket - engineers never say never :(

OK - let us know how it turns out...

Tim

Reaction score
Are you connecting the headphones afterwards? I.e. you first connect the charging cable, so that it says Dock connector and only then connect the headphones? For me that always redirects the sound to the headphones.

This doesn't solve the problem, but you should still be able to listen to music that way.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you connecting the headphones afterwards? I.e. you first connect the charging cable, so that it says Dock connector and only then connect the headphones? For me that always redirects the sound to the headphones.

This doesn't solve the problem, but you should still be able to listen to music that way.

Great suggestion - many thanks. When I peer into the dock connector socket on the iPad and see how delicate it looks, I'm surprised we don't have more problems - but I've not heard of any issues......

Now comes that torrent of posts with members reporting dock connector problems.....:(

Tim

OP
B

Burnie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - it sounds as though your USB connector (i.e. the one that connects the charger to the iPad) has developed a fault and that it's convincing the iPad that it's connected to the dock when you connect to the charger. I'm assuming you don't have a spare cable? I'd suggest - if you have an Apple Store near you - that you take your iPad there and try on one of the Store's USB connectors. If it's faulty, they should replace it for you.

It seems unlikely that the fault lies with the socket in the iPad itself, otherwise we'd expect to see that problem all the time though I accept it's not impossible it's the iPad socket - engineers never say never :(

OK - let us know how it turns out...

Tim
That's it! You r brilliant! I used a different USB connecting charger and WALLA!!! Thanxs so much... Sending over a virtual premium beer, enjoy!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hasty wipes virtual froth from Tim and rolls him to the other side of the ditch to avoid the snores..........

Kingshootr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same issue, no sound when I put the iPad into a generic dock I bought off eBay. If I use just the cord, plugged into the USB wall charger, sound stays on. If I use the same cord with the dock, the sound cuts out when the iPad is placed on it.

A case of a cheap accessory or is there a setting/workaround I am missing. Thanks again for all the help I've received from this forum.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does this dock have audio output connectors? Some docks assume that you'll be connecting audio equipment and automatically cut off the iPad sound. See if you can 'receive' sound via the dock audio connectors.

Tim

OP
B

Burnie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my connector online as well... I was looking for a longer connection and found one with the USB end, a computer connector and also a male plug.... Kinda a Y image configuration. Now that you say this, the plug must be for some non-existing speakers!
Yep, this is my first forum help and it's been gr8 ...

Kingshootr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does this dock have audio output connectors? Some docks assume that you'll be connecting audio equipment and automatically cut off the iPad sound. See if you can 'receive' sound via the dock audio connectors.

Tim

It has a line out port, so I'd say you are correct. I'm too tired to check for sure, and I ain't putting a set of speakers on my nightstand, so to my son it goes for his Touch.:mad:

Most reactions

Latest posts