1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Next Gen iPad Should Include Phone, Text

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by travroy, May 1, 2010.

1. travroy

travroy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Am I right or am I right? It feels redundant setting my iPad down to check my iphone for texts or calls. I want it all on my iPad.

Bring back the home phone!
  2. Sincere11105

Sincere11105 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Or at least a app to have your texts and phone calls forwarded to the iPad when in a wifi spot. That would be awesome. Lets go developers get on it.
  3. 0002S

0002S iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    good luck with this one.....;)
  4. Edlex

Edlex iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Google voice can do the text and voice mails. For voice calls your going to have to wait for skype in 4.0
  5. Takenover83

Takenover83 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I rather not have to pay for minutes/text, when all I want is the data connection. Plus the lack of contract is always nice :)
  6. Superbike81

Superbike81 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I think it would be pointless to be a phone. Because then I have to wear one of those "Douche Earrings" as we call them, also known as bluetooth ear pieces. I refuse to wear one of those things, and I'm not going to hold the iPad up to my ear.

Phones are supposed to be small, not huge like the iPad. I don't take my iPad everywhere with me either, so I would need an extra phone anyways.
  7. Itzxdjx

Itzxdjx iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah I def don't see that happening. That's why the iPhone is there so you have that ultra portability and same feel. And you can have free text now! With the text plus application. And why would apple want you to pick the iPad over the iPhone they want you to have both!
  8. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    You can send and receive email. What would you want with text and phone on a device not suitable for it?
  9. Orcapal

Orcapal iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    SMS would be useful, since that is a band distinct from IM. Phone? Not so much in a device that size, unless it seamlessly works with my existing voiceplan.
  10. Tonyruggles

Tonyruggles iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is the point of the iPad. It is the mixture between a smart phone and a net book. Not intended to do everything of either.
  11. Isaac Newton

Isaac Newton iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I totally agree!!
  12. figmo10

figmo10 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I'd like to see an app that would allow telephone users to send a voice message to my iPad with immediate notification to me. Oh wait a minute, my mobile phone does that. Never mind.
  13. travroy

travroy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Your mobile phone sends voicemail and notifications to your iPad? Do tell.

Not suitable?? Please. What do you think the infamous forward-facing camera was going to do? Video conferencing is basically a phone call on your iPad. All I'm asking for is a little vision here, people. Sending and receiving email was pretty awesome, in 1995.

Exactly. At&t customers would have their existing cellular account associated to both iPhone and iPad 3G (I may have wrongly assumed we all have iPhones). It's all the same to AT&T, right? It might actually create an incentive for non-ATT customers to switch.

When I've got my headphones on and I'm browsing the internet/mail/apps on my iPad, it's just crying out for me to make a call or send a text. I'm not saying replace your phone, but it would be nice to have everything you need at home, on your iPad.

Jailbroken iPad 3G Sends Text Messages - ipad - Gizmodo;)
    Last edited: May 2, 2010
  14. rowan

rowan iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In general, and specifically during emergencies, texting is vastly more reliable than cell calls. A text will get through faster and more reliably than a cellular call.
  15. 0002S

0002S iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It appears that The Development team has jailbroken the 3G and hacked it to send text with a T-Mobile SIM. It also appears AT&T included SIMs are locked out from text/voice, even if jailbroken.
  16. CaptKirk

CaptKirk iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I think Sprint was the one that did that:p
  17. centaurcoach

centaurcoach iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Please don't tell a user he shouldnt want what he wants. I want an ipad that can handle a simple voice communication, make a call, send a text. If it turns out I feel like a dork using it that way... I'll get psychotherapy.
  18. MattIM

MattIM Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    Hello centaurcoach, welcome to the Forum. When you get a chance head on over to the New Members forum and introduce yourself. There is also a couple of very helpful 'stickies' that help you navigate around this forum and some rules we all have to follow in order to have good times on this forum.

Regarding your specific reply to this very old thread....be aware that when this thread started, the iPad was only two months old! Most of the people participating in the thread are long gone or banned. In addition, the original iPad did not have cameras--not until iPad2--introduced in 2011. The most recent iPad version and the iPad2 all have cameras. Both vintages have the ability to make Skype, iMessage, Google Talk conversations. You still cannot make an outgoing call like you would on a telephone, but with Skype or other apps on your iPad you can take a video call.

In the two years that iPads have been around, the technology is getting closer to the idea of being an all purpose telecommunications machine.
  19. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Disagree, but have you checked out google voice?

I would not buy an iPad if it had a phone in it.