What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newspaper publisher new to iPad- have questions!

JFrazier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, all. My name is Julie and I am a publisher and editor of a small community newspaper and website in southern Minnesota. I just got an iPad and would like to learn more about business-related apps. It is unfortunate that it doesn't support Flash because I would like to show advertisers their ads and videos on it. That is a huge drawback in my business. I am an avid reader and love reading the newspapers that have tablet formats.

Some questions:

Is there a better way to print other than sending to your computer via email?
Can you rent movies versus buying them? I didn't think iPad would support Netflix
How can you save the body of an email on your iPad? (not just the attachment)

Thanks for the help!

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the forum!

And you can get a printer that uses the AirPrint feature of the iPad. Personally I don't have one (yet!), but there is a whole section of the forum dedicated to this feature that you might find helpful --

AirPrint - Apple iPad Forum

OP
JFrazier

JFrazier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good question, Sweet Poison. I didn't have a say in the purchase, so I'm looking for a workaround. It was not ideal for what we want to use it for.

Thanks all for the responses. I'll check out Netflix and printing further.

Has anyone had trouble using Dropbox and QuickOffice together? You should be able to open Dropbox inside QuickOffice to swap files back and forth, but my Dropbox server keeps timing out.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The latest version of PrintCentral (check App Store) provides direct printing to almost any WiFi printer using the embedded print menu that are in many of the newer apps and doesn't require an AirPrint printer. Normally, selecting Print from within an app that supports AirPrint provides with a list of WiFi AirPrint printers that your iPad can 'see'. But, if you have iOS 4.2 installed (multi-tasking) and PrintCentral running 'in the background', when you select Print you'll be offered the option (as well as any AirPrint compatible printers) of 'Print via PrintCentral'. Choosing that option will allow you to print to almost any WiFi printer. Even if your printers are not WiFi, PrintCentral have a free app that you can install on your PC or Mac that makes your computer 'look' like an AirPrint compatible printer and you can then print 'via' your computer from the iPad.

It's a great program that has a lot of other functionality too - for example the direct PC-to-iPad transfer of files via WiFi without recourse to iTunes or MobileMe iDisk.

Tim
Scotland

OP
JFrazier

JFrazier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, Tim. Now to attempt set up. ahhgh!

OP
JFrazier

JFrazier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone use AlwaysOnPc? What's with the scrolling when on a website? Is there a better way to scroll? Thanks!

WannaBeMac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Better than what? Than running your finger up and down the screen? That's the whole point of a tablet. Sounds like you'd be better off with a laptop.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Aye, it does seem like you lot would be better with laptops than iPads. -shrug- Anyways, as far as I know there is no way to "scroll better" the whole point of the iPad is to use your fingers to scroll.

Print Central works for printing, and Netflix is the best app for video/movies. Renting/buying movies on the iPad is moot for me since imo they're wayyyyy too damn expensive.

Hope you get it all worked out

FB

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Better than what? Than running your finger up and down the screen? That's the whole point of a tablet. Sounds like you'd be better off with a laptop.

Sounds more like he is having problems with AllwaysOnPC, a server based virtual PC, not the iPad itself. Reading the comments suggests that the virtual web browser part is less than easy to use.

OP
JFrazier

JFrazier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Sounds more like he is having problems with AllwaysOnPC, a server based virtual PC, not the iPad itself. Reading the comments suggests that the virtual web browser part is less than easy to use.

You are correct- it is the app not I-pad. Don't recommend. Everything else I love! Is there a way to save the body of an email into Dropbox or QuickOffice? Thanks for the help!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If all you want is the body of the email it should be easy for QuickOffice, and require one extra app for DropBox.

For both, just tap and hold anywhere in the body of the email. When the select menu appears choose Select All, then copy.

For QuickOffice, open QuickOffice and start a new document, or open an old one. Tap hold somewhere in the document (not on text) and chose paste. Save the document by whatever means QuickOffice offers. I don't use it, so I can't help there.

For DropBox you will need a note taking or other text editing app that has the ability to save to DropBox. Paste into a document in that app and then save it to DropBox.

If you already have GoodReader it will let you create new text file under the Manage Files tab. You can paste your email body into the new file. It isn't much of a text editor, but it's good enough for quick notes and offers several ways to save and transfer files, including DropBox support.

Last edited:
OP
JFrazier

JFrazier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, Twerppoet! I didn't realize the select all came up by doing that. Okay, another question.... When I watch Netflix the movie volume is kind of low. I've got the I-pad volume setting at it's highest as well as the movie. Any tips to get the volume louder? Probably not, but thought you might know

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The internal speakers on the iPad seem to be an afterthought at best, but it sounds great with a set of decent ear buds/phones.

Most reactions