What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newspaper not opening

Bubblygirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi.....I am a new owner of an iPad Air2. I also own an ipad2 and ipad2 mini. I always read my newspapers using the browser. Everything Is opening fine on the Air2 apart from the Daily Mail online. It is still opening fine on the other iPads. Can anyone advise why this is happening? The first article appears at the top but the other articles don't download. The screen just keeps jumping back to the top article. I am loving the new Air2 (apart from this hiccup) and so glad I found this forum.
Regards
Bubblygirl

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, and welcome to the forum. It's good to "see" you and I hope you enjoy your visits here.

Here's a couple of things I've thought of for you to try:

(1) Fully close out Safari. To do, close out Safari by clicking the Home button. Then, swipe up on the homescreen (or double-click the Home button) to reveal the app switcher; swipe up on the Safari "card."

(2) If that didn't help, do it again, but this time, after fully closing Safari, go to your Settings app and find the Safari line/tab, then tap on it. Then look for the line titled "Clear History and Website Data" and tap it. This will fully reset Safari.

Hopefully, one or both of those suggestions will help. If so, yay! If not, holler back and we'll take another shot at it.

Marilyn

OP
B

Bubblygirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, and welcome to the forum. It's good to "see" you and I hope you enjoy your visits here.

Here's a couple of things I've thought of for you to try:

(1) Fully close out Safari. To do, close out Safari by clicking the Home button. Then, swipe up on the homescreen (or double-click the Home button) to reveal the app switcher; swipe up on the Safari "card."

(2) If that didn't help, do it again, but this time, after fully closing Safari, go to your Settings app and find the Safari line/tab, then tap on it. Then look for the line titled "Clear History and Website Data" and tap it. This will fully reset Safari.

Hopefully, one or both of those suggestions will help. If so, yay! If not, holler back and we'll take another shot at it.

Marilyn

Hi again
Sorry no luck with these suggestions. Tried both options but still not opening. Other newspapers and everything else is working fine. Mystery.
Regards
Bubblygirl

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried resetting the WiFi router? Are you able to access your newspaper if you're connected to WiFi at a different location?

OP
B

Bubblygirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried resetting the WiFi router? Are you able to access your newspaper if you're connected to WiFi at a different location?

Hi Scifan57
My other ipad2 and ipad2 mini are able to access the newspaper no problem using the same WiFi router being used for the iPad Air2. I am reading the newspaper on my ipad2 mini at the moment instead of on my nice new Air2. :(

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Resetting the router has been known to help when one device won't connect properly, even though multiple other devices connect without a problem.

OP
B

Bubblygirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Resetting the router has been known to help when one device won't connect properly, even though multiple other devices connect without a problem.

Ok thanks Scifan57. Will have to try it later as my husband is watching the football at the moment and don't think he would appreciate me switching the router off! Will let you know if any success.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, how about trying to close all apps and then resetting or restarting your iPad? It won't mess with the apps - it's the same as rebooting your computer. To do (apologies if you know):

Fully close all apps: Double tap the Home button (or do a 4-finger swipe up) to reveal a row of icons and cards in the multi-tasking viewer. Swipe up on all the cards until they are all gone.

Then...
Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the device finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

If that doesn't help, try this last step...

Reset: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

Maybe that'll help? Cause it's really odd how the new iPad Kshatriyas misbehaving and not the others. I'm starting to take it personal! :)

Marilyn

OP
B

Bubblygirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, how about trying to close all apps and then resetting or restarting your iPad? It won't mess with the apps - it's the same as rebooting your computer. To do (apologies if you know):

Fully close all apps: Double tap the Home button (or do a 4-finger swipe up) to reveal a row of icons and cards in the multi-tasking viewer. Swipe up on all the cards until they are all gone.

Then...
Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the device finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

If that doesn't help, try this last step...

Reset: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

Maybe that'll help? Cause it's really odd how the new iPad Kshatriyas misbehaving and not the others. I'm starting to take it personal! :)

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn.......sorry.....I'm going to spoil your day......but neither of these suggestions worked. Back to the drawing board I'm afraid. Driving me crazy but hey....it's only a newspaper. I can live without it if need be.
Regards Bubblygirl

OP
B

Bubblygirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hi Scifan57. Switched Router off but unfortunately the problem still exists. I live in the country so not near another wifi spot but when I'm out tomorrow will try it in the mall and let you know. Thanks for trying to help.
Regards Bubblygirl

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One last thought, then I'm completely out of ideas - have you tried a line-by-line comparison of one of your newspaper-reading iPads with the iPad Air 2?

First - I assume they're on the same iOS, yes? Then, in the Safari section of your settings app, is there any difference in any of the two iPad settings? Oh, and while I think of it, you don't have either iPad in Private mode?

Then, for the heck of it, check under Location Settings and see if there are any differences. Are either of the iPads cellular capable? If so, check those settings.

Basically, go through any part of Settings that deal with Safari and any internet access, comparing all the ways the two iPads can be different.

Marilyn

Last edited:
OP
B

Bubblygirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One last thought, then I'm completely out of ideas - have you tried a line-by-line comparison of one of your newspaper-reading iPads with the iPad Air 2?

First - I assume they're on the same iOS, yes? Then, in the Safari section of your settings app, is there any difference in any of the two iPad settings? Oh, and while I think of it, you don't have either iPad in Private mode?

Then, for the heck of it, check under Location Settings and see if there are any differences. Are either of the iPads cellular capable? If so, check those settings.

Basically, go through any part of Settings that deal with Safari and any internet access, comparing all the ways the two iPads can be different.

Marilyn

OP
B

Bubblygirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Marilyn
Thanks for trying to solve this mystery. The iPads are on different IOS actually. The older ones are only 16GB and I didn't have space to do software updates. That's why I opted for a new iPad with more storage. I don't live near an Apple Store but will be able to visit one in June and I will enquire then to see if they can help. If I solve the problem I will let you know. Many thanks for your help. No doubt I will have more questions regarding other problems in the future.
Regards Bubblygirl

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In the mean time I see that the Daily Mail has an iPad app, Mail Plus for iPad. The reviews aren't great, but they just had an update (not enough reviews to rate). Might be worth looking at.

OP
B

Bubblygirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the mean time I see that the Daily Mail has an iPad app, Mail Plus for iPad. The reviews aren't great, but they just had an update (not enough reviews to rate). Might be worth looking at.
Hi twerppoet
Thank you.
I know I can get it via an App......but being Scottish by birth....I don't see why I should pay for an App when it has been available to me for the last three yrs via browser....and still is on my other iPads. The fact that the reviews are not great is not an incentive to try it. I will just persevere I think......there must be a solution and being a very determined person I will find it :)
Regards
Bubblygirl

Most reactions

Latest posts