What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News readers from the Apple Store very limited compared to the Google Play Store.

OP
I

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If there are specific apps that you miss, probably best to check with the developers about maybe producing an iOS version. A generic appeal for more news apps on an iPad forum probably won't result in much.

I've not seen complaints about a lack of Apple news apps, but who knows.

It's not a issue for me if Apple has Apps or not, as I can always use my Android tablet. I can see why Samsung had a 7.8 Billion dollar quarter because their phones and tablets. Androids are moving ahead like other software O.S. makers have done to Microsoft, there taking a BIG bite of the market. No matter how BIG some Mfg. of hardware and software over time there are many other who move forward with buyers.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not a issue for me if Apple has Apps or not, as I can always use my Android tablet. I can see why Samsung had a 7.8 Billion dollar quarter because their phones and tablets. Androids are moving ahead like other software O.S. makers have done to Microsoft, there taking a BIG bite of the market. No matter how BIG some Mfg. of hardware and software over time there are many other who move forward with buyers.

I'm all for competition, whether in hardware or software. I don't care which companies win; I figure I'll just use what's best at the time. Right now, I use several platforms and devices, and like them for diff reasons.

OP
I

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm all for competition, whether in hardware or software. I don't care which companies win; I figure I'll just use what's best at the time. Right now, I use several platforms and devices, and like them for diff reasons.

I just installed Windows8 on one of my computers, I find it boots up much quicker then my Win7 and shuts down quicker. There are things that have changed but everything is still there, you just have to do some looking for it. Many will quickly notice when trying to re-install their older software programs. Many just are not supported in Win8, but strangely I have a really old copy of Paintshop Pro 7 had it on an XD system it worked on Win7 and installed and works on Win8. I am waiting to see how the Microsoft RT O.S. works on their new surface tablet. I also wonder if the Galaxy tablets get the new "Key Lime Pie" or the "old Jelly Bean" to replace the ICS now being used? Also I wonder if the new iPad4 will have a new O.S.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just installed Windows8 on one of my computers, I find it boots up much quicker then my Win7 and shuts down quicker. There are things that have changed but everything is still there, you just have to do some looking for it. Many will quickly notice when trying to re-install their older software programs. Many just are not supported in Win8, but strangely I have a really old copy of Paintshop Pro 7 had it on an XD system it worked on Win7 and installed and works on Win8. I am waiting to see how the Microsoft RT O.S. works on their new surface tablet. I also wonder if the Galaxy tablets get the new "Key Lime Pie" or the "old Jelly Bean" to replace the ICS now being used? Also I wonder if the new iPad4 will have a new O.S.

I'm not tempted to upgrade from Win 7 right now. Maybe when MS Surface pro comes out.

If I get one, I can learn both at the same time and maybe save myself some time. Will see how Surface pro turns out first, though.

I'm never keen to upgrade just because -- I have to be tempted by some kind of added functionality that I actually want, whether in hardware or software. I need some kind of incentive other than enriching a company, lol.

OP
I

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not tempted to upgrade from Win 7 right now. Maybe when MS Surface pro comes out.

If I get one, I can learn both at the same time and maybe save myself some time. Will see how Surface pro turns out first, though.

I'm never keen to upgrade just because -- I have to be tempted by some kind of added functionality that I actually want, whether in hardware or software. I need some kind of incentive other than enriching a company, lol.

I have a bunch of computers so putting the new Win8 on one as a test bed was a natural move at being careful. In the past Microsoft has given the public some real bummers Vista comes to mind. One thing I noticed and was informed of before, you have to reinstall all your programs. and some of my programs were not supported by Win8. This was the same with Win7 so it was not a big shock. I noticed it boots up fast and shuts down fast, that's an improvement. If one does not like the tiles they are more aimed at the touch screen computers, you can just use the desk top as it is like what people have used in the past. There many changes but are not hard to learn to use. It will be a learning thing and everyone won't like everything about it. I also want to see how Microsoft's RT looks and works on their new tablet the Surface. I also want to see what Apple gives us with the new iPad4. I really feel we will be seeing a lot of new App's and items being offered for the new iPad4.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a bunch of computers so putting the new Win8 on one as a test bed was a natural move at being careful. In the past Microsoft has given the public some real bummers Vista comes to mind. One thing I noticed and was informed of before, you have to reinstall all your programs. and some of my programs were not supported by Win8. This was the same with Win7 so it was not a big shock. I noticed it boots up fast and shuts down fast, that's an improvement. If one does not like the tiles they are more aimed at the touch screen computers, you can just use the desk top as it is like what people have used in the past. There many changes but are not hard to learn to use. It will be a learning thing and everyone won't like everything about it. I also want to see how Microsoft's RT looks and works on their new tablet the Surface. I also want to see what Apple gives us with the new iPad4. I really feel we will be seeing a lot of new App's and items being offered for the new iPad4.

I expect learning to go fine. I'm just lazy and see no point in upgrading now -- I don't find Win 7 restrictive for my uses. I figure I would upgrade at the same time as Surface pro, just to keep things simple. And if I don't buy a Surface, then I might not upgrade till the next time I buy a laptop. I tend to do that every two or three years.

I live five minutes from a Microsoft store, but haven't bothered to go in and test drive Surface RT. I figure there's no point yet, because I might as well wait for the pro model, so I can compare.

I'm waiting on my iPad 4 4G and Kindle Fire HD 9" to arrive in a few weeks. That ought to hold me for a bit.

OP
I

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I expect learning to go fine. I'm just lazy and see no point in upgrading now -- I don't find Win 7 restrictive for my uses. I figure I would upgrade at the same time as Surface pro, just to keep things simple. And if I don't buy a Surface, then I might not upgrade till the next time I buy a laptop. I tend to do that every two or three years.

I live five minutes from a Microsoft store, but haven't bothered to go in and test drive Surface RT. I figure there's no point yet, because I might as well wait for the pro model, so I can compare.

I'm waiting on my iPad 4 4G and Kindle Fire HD 9" to arrive in a few weeks. That ought to hold me for a bit.

The new Surface has not made it to my local Best Buy so I have not seen the RT OS, I sure would like having a Microsoft store near me. I have the original Kindal Fire it's been a nice little place to keep some of my digital pictures. The new Kindal HD is at Best Buy but since like the my iPad2 and the new iPads not having a micro memory slot again is something I do not like. And YES I know about Cloud and Drive and Drop Box and all the rest f the servers out in interspace. I agree Windows7 is still a great OS I have it on four other computers, I just like to see how new thing work, and Win8 is some what new with some of the old still there.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The new Surface has not made it to my local Best Buy so I have not seen the RT OS, I sure would like having a Microsoft store near me. I have the original Kindal Fire it's been a nice little place to keep some of my digital pictures. The new Kindal HD is at Best Buy but since like the my iPad2 and the new iPads not having a micro memory slot again is something I do not like. And YES I know about Cloud and Drive and Drop Box and all the rest f the servers out in interspace. I agree Windows7 is still a great OS I have it on four other computers, I just like to see how new thing work, and Win8 is some what new with some of the old still there.

MS has said it will sell Surface only at its own stores or via its website. If there's no MS store near you and you want to test drive a Surface, you might also check for a list of pop-up stores that MS is setting up during holiday season. Those are supposed to have Surfaces on hand, too.

I use my Kindle Fire original mostly for books and the occasional movie -- for when one of my iPads is charging and I want to watch a movie and surf at the same time. In those cases, I put the movie on Fire and surf on iPad. But with the addition of iPad 4 and Fire 9", I should have more full-size tabs to choose from.

I used to use my husband's iPad 1 as a third full-size screen in a pinch, but we recently gave it to someone who will get better use out of it. My husband is an IT guy who finds little use for tablets. He has a bunch of computers and prefers those. He even has a old PC hooked up to his big-screen TV in his man cave, lol.

Most reactions

Latest posts