Newcomer - not happy with iPad

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions - Site Assistance' started by pdanes, Mar 30, 2018.

1. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    An alternative the Box, is to try Dropbox, which gives 2gb free, if I remember correctly. Dropbox can also be accessed from nplayer.

2. pdanes

pdanes
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    No real fires, only some issues with backups not getting done properly, discovered AFTER accidental deletion of an entire database. Unfortunately, little I can do about it except whine. The systems I administer have automated backups, religiously checked and copied to multiple off-site locations, every night, and every week manually to physically disconnected and powered-off storage devices. However, this was a system under someone else's oversight, in which I am but a lowly user. And a mightily peeved one, at the moment.

I think this folder has all the necesary permissions - it is shared for read/write access on the account I use, and has complete control for that account on the permissions tab, for folder, subfolders and files. I don't know what other permissions I could apply that might affect anything.

I don't have email set up on the iPad, and in any case, I think that would be rather unwieldy, even if it worked. There are over 2,000 of these videos, taking up 900+ MB, and more are added regularly. Trying to shovel all that through email would be a nightmare. I'd be ahead simply carrying around a notebook, and just give up on using a tablet.

3. pdanes

pdanes
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Yes, Dropbox might be an option, except that I already use it, and have most of the 2GB occupied. I suppose I could try a few videos, and at least see how (if) the Dropbox video player works.

4. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    If you are going from the iPad to the building/ business wifi, rather than direct to the computer, it maybe that that is where the permissions are set.

You mentioned that you can see the shared folder via the local wifi network on the ipad, so you should be able to select the files, and copy into nplayer as described above.

5. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Hold on, in what way do you see the shared folder from the iPad?

6. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I have just copied my files across to dropbox and then brought them into nplayer to check that it all does work.

Hopefully it will work for you...

7. pdanes

pdanes
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    As you wrote, opening Nplayer, then the Network icon, and the shared folder shows up in the subsequent list of available locations.

8. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Any better luck with Dropbox?

9. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    I don’t have Nplayer, but shared folders are probably still stored in the cloud. Look for edit, select, download, or share features available while viewing the files that will let you move files to local storage.

#59 twerppoet, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  10. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Thanks twerppoet. The shared folders mentioned here are on a windows PC, to which the OP cannot connect to fully.
    Hopefully the OP will be able to pull the videos into nplayer via Dropbox.