What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcomer - not happy with iPad

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well I am afraid that it is free lite version you are trying, hence the adverts. If you want to get rid of the banners, you will need to fork out a little. (£4.99 in the UK.) Almost all free apps now support their developers with adverts and some are less intrusive than others. At least with many it is a one off payment; there are other apps with annual payments, but then they may employ a number of s/w engineers+.

Look beyond the adverts and ask if it will do what you want? That has to be the most important thing.

Obviously no need now, but it have been interesting to see the video clips. As a school boy I learned the sign language alphabet. It meant that we could ‘talk’ when we were not supposed to!

OP
P

pdanes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would be happy to pay such a small sum for a good app, but I have no online finances, no credit card, no PayPal or anything of the sort. I'm still a bit in the stone age in that regard, is spite of practically living on the Internet in most other ways. But maybe the girl who loaned me the device could buy the full version and I could pay her - she does online banking and similar stuff.

Also, on the way home in the subway, I discovered that it doesn't nag with these 'offers' if it isn't connected, so probably airplane mode, as you suggested, will quiet that down as well.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the videos into the device. In the normal world, I would be able to play the ones I already have downloaded into Box, but that doesn't seem to be possible here, with that sandboxing configuration. I tried installing iTunes on my PC laptop, and have one of those USB-iPad Lightning cables, but iTunes doesn't see the device when I connect them. The tutorials I've found on the net all say to click an icon in iTunes to make it connect, but that icon doesn't appear in the version of iTunes in my laptop. More fun...

And I've attached a few of the videos to this post. They're mostly just a single word - only a few phrases, and it's Czech sign language, not English, but it will give you an idea of what I'm trying to play.

OP
P

pdanes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I thought I attached the videos. The site says it read them in, but I don't see them in my posted reply. Trying again...

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can access the box, and others e.g. shared folders from Macs or Windows, directly in nplayer, then dowload them into nplayer and, hopefully, there you are. Just go to the networks icon in the app. (I did do a quick test on the download facility.)

Thanks for the attached files. I look forward to looking at them.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Videos not showing, even on second try, so do not worry. More importantly get yourself up and running, doing what you want/ need to do. Good luck.

OP
P

pdanes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had to cut down the number of vids, but this time it looks like it may have worked. Sending...

Attachments

• Slova5.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 171

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Brilliant. Thank you very much. Without going to far into it, I have often wondered how sign language varies between different spoken languages/ cultures.

Btw, I checked:

The mp4’s files are playing well on nplayer, as the file format was something I meant to ask about. Nplayer does manage to play many fornats.

The file name shows constantly at the top of the frame.

I tried the shuffle and it seemed to play the files in random order.

OP
P

pdanes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad they went through this time. Surprising how many people think signing is a universal language. It's not - varies quite a bit from region to region, even in areas with a common spoken/written language.

I've been interested in sign language for a long time, and have thought for many years it should be taught in schools as a fundamental skill, along with normal language skills. Not everyone would become proficient in it, just like not everyone is good at any other subject, but at least to a level of basic communication. Besides the obvious advantage for the deaf community, of being able to communicate with 'the world' if most people knew it, there are many advantages in holding such a skill even for people who can hear normally - in noisy factories, crowded bars, through glass partitions, across busy streets, in mandatory quite places like libraries, concerts, study halls, and maintaining contact with people who lose their hearing. My father is getting hard of hearing, and is becoming more and more isolated, as more and more people simply refuse to shout at him, and instead talk with someone else. I tried getting him interested, but he says he's too old, can't remember anything new any more and doesn't care anyway - most people have nothing interesting to say. Well, he's 97, so I suppose he's entitled to some grumpiness, but I think it's a shame. In any case, I finally decided to pull my thumb out and start studying it myself. I've been at it for about a year and a half now, and can carry on a simple conversation, if the other person is patient, takes it slowly and the subject matter is not too complicated. It's fascinating - not just another 'normal' language, but a whole new way of communicating. But I digress...

The laptop and iPad now recognize each other, when I plug them together, but the laptop does not show the files on the iPad, but instead shows a bunch of videos I (unsuccessfully) tried copying to the iPad many weeks ago from a different computer, including some that did make it onto the iPad but I subsequently deleted, because the player they were loaded into was even worse than the Box player. No idea where they've been - I suppose some virtual iTunes storage. But I see nothing that is currently on the iPad, like the Box folders. Could it be the cable? It's an off-brand Lightning - the local Apple store wanted almost $30 for an official one, which seemed to me quite a lot for a piece of wire. But if it's the difference between working and not working, I probably don't have much choice. It works as a charging cable, and the two devices do seem to know about each other, but maybe that's not enough.

I'm really starting to wonder if this is worth all the hassle. Even a local friend who claims to know all about Mac stuff was unable to make any sense of it. He said he would call another friend who knows even more all about Mac stuff, but I never heard any more about it, and haven't seen him since. I understand every device has some sort of learning curve, but compared to the simplicity with which the Asus/Android setup worked, this seems excessive.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Fascinating. Thanks. I too would like to see sign language taught in schools; the alphabet was as far as I got and that was self taught. I used it a few weeks ago, to show a clever and inquisitive 7 year old

You are actually almost there. Hopefully this will help.
1st. You cannot simply copy from Mac to iPad; from my windows laptop and I assume a Mac, a share folder is a useful thing and I use that to copy files to and fro. Possibly via iTunes, but I rarely use it except to back up.

I have just downloaded the lite version, so hopefully I can solve the last step or two, I assume the files are still on the Box, preferably individually and not zipped.

Start up nplayer. At the bottom of the screen, click on the network icon. Click the plus at the top right hand corner. Look for Box. Click on Box and enter log in details, for the box.

Open the Box and select files and download. Note that they are now being downloaded inside the nplayer sandbox, but they will stay there until you delete them.

Copied the four onto a playlist, started playing one, then clicked the hree dots, top right hand corner, and selected shuffle and repeat all.

I hope this helps.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was thinking about your problem connecting up to a Mac and a point came to mind which may clarify understanding a difference.

I would say, and others may think or use their iPad differently, that it seems best to consider that you are working from the ipad out. By this I mean that to copy a file into, or export a file out of, the iPad you start from the iPad and access the source or destination from there.

Hence, with nplayer to copy the videos into the iPad, you start nplayer and use the network icon to gain network access and then ‘pull’ the videos into the app.

This is different to my two Windows laptops, where files go from one to the other simply depending on which one I am using at the time. (- and sometimes rogue s/w can try to do it all by itself!)

OP
P

pdanes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, when I wrote 'Mac stuff', I meant the iPad. For computers, I am running all various Windows machines.

I followed your instructions and got the videos to play, but along with the Box videos it has also installed a huge number of ads and films with similar titles to the instructional videos. I could live with that as a test, but when I disable the WiFi link, it refuses to play even the local Box videos, which again makes it useless away from a WiFi node. I need to play these videos when I have no network connection. I currently have two part-time jobs and a hobby, each of which is on the outskirts of town, and each in a different direction, while I live smack in the center. Consequently, I spend a good bit of time in trams, busses and subways, which is a great opportunity to study. But it HAS to work offline, and fairly easily. A bouncy public transport is not the best place to be scrolling through complex menu selections.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What is the original source of the videos you're having problems downloading?

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure why it does not play in airplane mode. The lite version works here as does the full version in airplane mode. I quite understand about the need for working off line - btw and also about the lite version nagware- uuuhhhh! Very off putting.

I have just noticed that my copies are under the nplayer ‘local’ tab rather than the ‘download’ tab. I can only assume that the app still thinks that it is playing the Box copies rather than local copies. To prove that, you could simply try putting the Box copies in a new or different folder (on the Box), hence breaking the link.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Below hopefully is a screenshot from my lite version, which may help.
EAE83AB4-316A-47B0-8AB8-1C315B9D7A74.jpeg

To display the file name continuously, in nplayer you need to go to settings/ playback and turn off ‘Auto Hide Menu.’

OP
P

pdanes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, I will try that. Im also trying to download VLC again, since that is the player with which I have so far had the most overall success.

Most reactions