What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

blb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi this is the first time I've ever joined a forum. I live in the UAE and have ipads for my kids. I can't seem to get any support from apple or anyone else in this country when I have a problem so I'm joining this group in the hope that it will help me keep my ipads up and running. I'm having a serious problem at the moment with NO sound on my ipad 1 after upgrading to ios 5.1.1. I saw others with similar problems on this forum so I'm hoping I can resolve this and future issues that will undoubtedly arrise. Thanks in advance. BLB

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

You haven't inadvertently turned on the mute button have you, it's the little switch just above the sound control.
Also look at the control which is found when you bring up your multi task bar. Do the 4 finger swipe up or double press the home button and you will see your multi task bar along the bottom, swipe right as far as you can go and you will see a volume control slide here.
I hadn't heard of a problem with sound after the latest update. Did you do a reset after the update? It's advisable after any update just to make sure everything settles in nicely. Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.

Let us know how you go.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

OP
B

blb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Leelai
I do know about the mute button on the outside of the ipad (and the lock rotation function) and the mute button in the multitask bar. And I have reset and even restored the ipad to it's factory settings. The really weird thing is that after the upgrade I no longer have any graphics associated with volume anywhere on the ipad. The volume slider scale that normally appears when you touch any volume controls (physical or virtual) no longer appears. And yet I don't think it hardware related because I do still get the click sound you get when you swipe to start up the ipad so it can produce noise. It's just that that is the only noise it makes now. It's an ipad 1 and I missed a lot of updates between the last one I did and the recent one - not sure it that could account for the problem

Thanks for trying to help
BLB

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
blb said:
Thanks Leelai
I do know about the mute button on the outside of the ipad (and the lock rotation function) and the mute button in the multitask bar. And I have reset and even restored the ipad to it's factory settings. The really weird thing is that after the upgrade I no longer have any graphics associated with volume anywhere on the ipad. The volume slider scale that normally appears when you touch any volume controls (physical or virtual) no longer appears. And yet I don't think it hardware related because I do still get the click sound you get when you swipe to start up the ipad so it can produce noise. It's just that that is the only noise it makes now. It's an ipad 1 and I missed a lot of updates between the last one I did and the recent one - not sure it that could account for the problem

Thanks for trying to help
BLB

Have you had either a Bluetooth headset or keyboard connected to your iPad? With the headset if you do not turn off the app you're using first before pulling out the jack it will leave you without sound at times.
A keyboard has its own mute button and this could be activated also.

If you're getting the start up sound then it's not the side switch. Have you looked in Settings in General for Sounds, and the keyboard click tab is on? Do you get any sound if you play a YouTube video?

It's not a good idea to miss too many updates and yes this can cause problems but I'm not thinking this is the problem here.

Anyway let us know on these questions.

OP
B

blb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you had either a Bluetooth headset or keyboard connected to your iPad? With the headset if you do not turn off the app you're using first before pulling out the jack it will leave you without sound at times.
A keyboard has its own mute button and this could be activated also.

If you're getting the start up sound then it's not the side switch. Have you looked in Settings in General for Sounds, and the keyboard click tab is on? Do you get any sound if you play a YouTube video?

It's not a good idea to miss too many updates and yes this can cause problems but I'm not thinking this is the problem here.

Anyway let us know on these questions.

Thank you again. Interestingly very recently I did try a bluetooth keyboard with the ipad. I borrowed it from a friend, didn't like it and returned it to her so it's not in my house now. I'm not sure how it was disconnected but I just looked at my ipad and the bluetooth was turned on. I turned it off and tried the sound but it still didn't work. Should I try to get the keyboard again reestablish the connection and then disconnect it more carefully. I have looked at all the sound settings settings and the keyboard click tab is on. There is no sound on you tube or any other app.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
blb said:
Thank you again. Interestingly very recently I did try a bluetooth keyboard with the ipad. I borrowed it from a friend, didn't like it and returned it to her so it's not in my house now. I'm not sure how it was disconnected but I just looked at my ipad and the bluetooth was turned on. I turned it off and tried the sound but it still didn't work. Should I try to get the keyboard again reestablish the connection and then disconnect it more carefully. I have looked at all the sound settings settings and the keyboard click tab is on. There is no sound on you tube or any other app.

There is a key on a Bluetooth keyboard for mute so this may have been activated without you being aware of it. I don't have a Bluetooth keyboard so can't say definitively but I would say its worth a shot, I'm hoping someone who knows more on this will chime in here. But I have heard of this happening before and it needed to be deactivated for the sound to return.

Now that you have turned Bluetooth off I would try another reset, I'm not saying this will do anything for you here but worth a try before you get that keyboard back. Let us know what happens.

OP
B

blb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi again Leelai
Just to let you know resetting didn't make any difference. If the solution is to get the bluetooth keyboard back that will take a few days as it is the weekend here now and I'll have to wait till I go back to work.
Thank you for all the suggestions though
blb

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
blb said:
Hi again Leelai
Just to let you know resetting didn't make any difference. If the solution is to get the bluetooth keyboard back that will take a few days as it is the weekend here now and I'll have to wait till I go back to work.
Thank you for all the suggestions though
blb

No problem, let us know how you go! I'm really hoping this is it, but we'll see!

OP
B

blb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problem, let us know how you go! I'm really hoping this is it, but we'll see!

So .... I tried the bluetooth keyboard and unfortunately it didn't change anything. So then I took it to our local istore to see if they could figure out what's wrong. The guy working there kindly did some trouble shooting and managed to get sound on a set of headphones but not directly from the ipad. He concluded that it had to be a hardware issue and that the speaker must be damaged. He told me it would have to be opened up by an apple technician and that it would probably be so expensive I'd be better off buying a new ipad. Big bummer! Leelai do you think what he said makes sense? Have you heard of a damaged speaker on an ipad before?
I'd appreciate your opinion. Thanks again blb

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
blb said:
So .... I tried the bluetooth keyboard and unfortunately it didn't change anything. So then I took it to our local istore to see if they could figure out what's wrong. The guy working there kindly did some trouble shooting and managed to get sound on a set of headphones but not directly from the ipad. He concluded that it had to be a hardware issue and that the speaker must be damaged. He told me it would have to be opened up by an apple technician and that it would probably be so expensive I'd be better off buying a new ipad. Big bummer! Leelai do you think what he said makes sense? Have you heard of a damaged speaker on an ipad before?
I'd appreciate your opinion. Thanks again blb

I was really hoping it would be the keyboard here, but no happy ending there. When you paired the keyboard with the ipad did you look to see if there is a mute setting there? It's not just a case of pairing them and then that will fix it, the mute button would have to be deactivated while paired. It's interesting to me that he was able to get sound with a set of headphones, although I have heard there are different volume settings involved with a headset and depending on the headsets involved, sound can even be turned off. So you have never used headphones before this? Have a look in the headset hole to make sure nothing has gotten lodged in there, I wouldn't go poking anything in there though.

I haven't heard of a damaged speaker as such but I have heard of people losing sound altogether but haven't known the reason, so yes it could be possible. I've also heard of people losing sound and then it just comes back on its own so I wonder if the ipad being knocked can jar something lose. I really wish I could offer you something more here....

On another note entirely if you do purchase another iPad it may be a good idea not to purchase in UAE as iPads sold there do not have the FaceTime feature, not sure if there are other changes either but I do know that iPads sold there are different than those sold elsewhere because of Government restrictions. Good luck with whatever you do decide on.

kakiana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First Apple product, the new iPad 3, so far, so good....thank you all SO MUCH for doing what you do in here!

Most reactions