What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie with contacts problems.

dealingriver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm new here so I apologise if my posthas already been covered.

I've had my I pad 2 since Christmas but have just upgraded my 3GS to a 5 and am trying to get everything up to date & synced properly but for some reasons my cloud contacts are very sparse. My phone is spot on but it won't sync to my pad, cloud is switched on both devices.

Any ideas guys cos I'm stumped?

Many thanks,

Reaction score
The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
3 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/61009-easy-pictorial-shortcuts-helpful-places-people-new-ipad.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try this.

Check your contacts at icloud.com on a computer and make sure they are up to date. If they are:

On the iPad go to Settings > iCloud and turn off Contacts. Tell it to delete the local contacts when prompted. Go to Contacts and make sure it's empby. Now go back and turn them back on.

Do this while you have a solid wi-fi connection.

More drastically you can do the same thing, but sign completely out of iCloud by tapping on your Apple ID.

If you are using document storage for the iWorks apps, I recommend saving them off on the computer using icloud.com. Once (only once and and it was a while ago) I lost a few documents when pulling this trick. Fortunately they were unimportant (as most of my documents are).

OP
D

dealingriver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I basically want to get all the contacts from my phone onto my I pad.

OP
D

dealingriver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dealingriver said:
I basically want to get all the contacts from my phone onto my I pad.

But for some reason the details in the cloud are wrong, how can I get all my phone contacts into the cloud?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is slightly risky, and may cause duplicates, but:

Turn off Contacts in Settings > iCloud on your iPhone. When it asks if you want to keep or delete, keep them.

Like before, open Contacts, just to make sure it updates the database.

Now go back and turn the contacts on. Hopefully it will give you a merge option. Use it.

That's all I can think of.

OP
D

dealingriver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back, it's appreciated but I can't see how that would work as my contacts are stored on the device and not in the cloud.

I'm gonna try doing it the old fashioned way and plug it into my laptop when I get home from work and see if that works. It kinda defeats the object of the cloud tho.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
dealingriver said:
Thanks for the feed back, it's appreciated but I can't see how that would work as my contacts are stored on the device and not in the cloud.

I'm gonna try doing it the old fashioned way and plug it into my laptop when I get home from work and see if that works. It kinda defeats the object of the cloud tho.

The first part disassociates your contacts from iCloud making them a local. The second part then tries to merge that local database back into the iCloud. Hopefully bypassing whatever is stopping that from happening now.

But if you're not comfortable with that I understand.

Please let me know how it works out.

OP
D

dealingriver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh ok I see the logic now. I think I'm still gonna plug it in tho as I have no back up of the contacts, I've only had the phone a few days and not backed it up.

What confuses me even more tho is that when I upgraded my phone it just took everything from the 3GS and put it on my 5, including my contacts, so they must be in the cloud somewhere! Just to add a little more confusion, my Mrs also has a pad and I phone and until 6 months ago we used the same I tunes account so we didn't have to buy apps twice. I think this could have something to do with it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
dealingriver said:
Oh ok I see the logic now. I think I'm still gonna plug it in tho as I have no back up of the contacts, I've only had the phone a few days and not backed it up.

What confuses me even more tho is that when I upgraded my phone it just took everything from the 3GS and put it on my 5, including my contacts, so they must be in the cloud somewhere! Just to add a little more confusion, my Mrs also has a pad and I phone and until 6 months ago we used the same I tunes account so we didn't have to buy apps twice. I think this could have something to do with it.

It might. Did you get the new Apple ID or did she? And are you absolutely certain that both your iPhone 5 and iPad are using the same Apple ID to log into iCloud? And that her ID is correct on her devices?

Most reactions

Latest posts