What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie questions

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

1. Is it possible to have the umeric key pad along with the alpha key pad (at the same time) on iPad

2. How does one delete unwanted apps?

3. What alternate browsers can I use (other than safari for iPad)

4. How d o I figure out the total charges to my credit card account / card thru the app store

5. Can I use open office on iPad..if so URL / directions please

Thanks in adv
Regards
Subu

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi. I'll try and answer a few Q's for you.

Q1. There is no way to have the number row fully integrated into the stock iPad KB yet, however it is possible if you jailbreak. Have a look at this post here...

http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak-applications-tweaks/35965-5-row-keyboard-ipad.html

If you have an iPad1 (no JB for iPad2 yet, but should be soon), and want to look into it further, visit the Hacking Section and read the stickies in there which explain everything about the subject.

Q2 - Hold down on an icon until the all wiggle, then press the "x" in the corner of the icon to remove it from your iPad. You cannot delete the stock (in built) apps, but if you jailbreak you can hide them so they are not visible.

Q3 - There are lots of alternatives in the App Store. My favourite is iCab Mobile, so I suggest you look at that. Another popular one is Atomic. Search the forums, we have lots of thread about this subject!

Hope that helps for the first 3.

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

1. Is it possible to have the umeric key pad along with the alpha key pad (at the same time) on iPad

2. How does one delete unwanted apps?

3. What alternate browsers can I use (other than safari for iPad)

4. How d o I figure out the total charges to my credit card account / card thru the app store

5. Can I use open office on iPad..if so URL / directions please

Thanks in adv
Regards
Subu

There are third party apps with numeric keypads, but they don't substitute directly for the stock iPad keyboard - in other words, you have to copy and paste from that third-party app into whatever document etc you wanted to put the numbers into.

To delete unwanted apps, press and hold any icon. After a second or two they start to jiggle and you can then press a 'X' on the top left hand corner of the app to delete it (stock apps cannot be deleted). Then press the Home button to stop the apps jiggling.

Here's a document from Apple that tells you how to find out your purchase history ...

iTunes Store & Mac App Store: Seeing your purchase history and order numbers

There are lots of third party browsers - Puffin, iSwifter, iCab are just three that Members like.

There is no version of OpenOffice for the iPad...

Tim

OP
I

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Hi. I'll try and answer a few Q's for you.

Q1. There is no way to have the number row fully integrated into the stock iPad KB yet, however it is possible if you jailbreak. Have a look at this post here...

thanks a ton for all the answers

How does one find out what version of os is a jailbreak available or not etc ? Sorry this may seem rather stupid...... But moving from windows to iPad has been a mess so far... Can't even locate the drives !!!

What other precautions after you jail break ... I ve hear horror stories of apple figuring out that you have jb and freezing the computer and forcing user to visit the app store .... Tia for a list of precautions ...

f4780y] [URL="http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak-applications-tweaks/35965-5-row-keyboard-ipad.html said:
http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak-applications-tweaks/35965-5-row-keyboard-ipad.html[/URL]
_

you mean to say that with all the restrictions that iPad has and the ways apple tries to make money by routing everytiing thru its app store it even allows posts and visits to jailbreak within it's own forums ??? Surprising .... Still thanks ... This is just me expressing. My exasperation ....nothing against your post

[quote="f4780y]
If you have an iPad1 (no JB for iPad2 yet, but should be soon), and want to look into it further, visit the Hacking Section and read the stickies in there which explain everything about the subject.
[/quote]

I ll visit various sections for sure !!!

[quote="f4780y]
Q2 - Hold down on an icon until the all wiggle, then press the "x" in the corner of the icon to remove it from your iPad. You cannot delete the stock (in built) apps, but if you jailbreak you can hide them so they are not visible.
[/quote]_

Thanks again

[quote="f4780y]
Q3 - There are lots of alternatives in the App Store. My favourite is iCab Mobile, so I suggest you look at that. Another popular one is Atomic. Search the forums, we have lots of thread about this subject!

Hope that helps for the first 3.[/quote]

OP
I

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
There are third party apps with numeric keypads, but they don't substitute directly for the stock iPad keyboard - in other words, you have to copy and paste from that third-party app into whatever document etc you wanted to put the numbers into.

To delete unwanted apps, press and hold any icon. After a second or two they start to jiggle and you can then press a 'X' on the top left hand corner of the app to delete it (stock apps cannot be deleted). Then press the Home button to stop the apps jiggling.

Here's a document from Apple that tells you how to find out your purchase history ...

iTunes Store & Mac App Store: Seeing your purchase history and order numbers

There are lots of third party browsers - Puffin, iSwifter, iCab are just three that Members like.

There is no version of OpenOffice for the iPad...

Tim

Thanks to you (and all those who answered)

I tried the URL that you had given and clicked on the purchase history couple of times after logging into my account in I store.... Unfortunately I could NOT get the purchase history ...probably there are different purchase histories...one for apps and another for the store ... .??

Open office : must have guessed that .... Thanks again ... Then what is the best free office suite you know of ?

Tia
Regards
Subu

OP
I

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Alternative said:
To check your purchases - Open iTunes on your PC, click on your user name (top right hand corner), enter your password and then click "Purchase History"

Did you mean pc oar I pad ??

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How does one find out what version of os is a jailbreak available or not etc ? Sorry this may seem rather stupid...... But moving from windows to iPad has been a mess so far... Can't even locate the drives !!!

So far, every version of iOS for the iPad1 is jailbreakable (we're up to iOS 4.3.3, although developers can jailbreak iOS5 beta 1 and possibly 2). There is no jailbreak [yet] for iPad2, no matter what version they are running.

You can see what version your iPad is running by going to the Settings app, under the General column and pressing About (on the RH side).

Oh, and there's no drives, per se. The iPad doesn't have a file system as you are used to seeing in Windows. As you'll see, it's app-centric, not file-centric.

What other precautions after you jail break ... I ve hear horror stories of apple figuring out that you have jb and freezing the computer and forcing user to visit the app store .... Tia for a list of precautions ...

Those are internet rumors. Apple hasn't done anything to an individual's personal iPad. What people have had to do (in order to avoid potential warranty issues) is to restore their iPads to stock prior to taking it to an Apple store for advice or repair. If you personally "freeze" your iPad, there are ways to get it back, 99.9% of the time, even if it's just to restore the iPad to a fresh-out-of-the-box state.

you mean to say that with all the restrictions that iPad has and the ways apple tries to make money by routing everytiing thru its app store it even allows posts and visits to jailbreak within it's own forums ??? Surprising .... Still thanks ... This is just me expressing. My exasperation ....nothing against your post

Ah, but you see, this isn't an Apple-owned forum. It's privately owned and run, Apple has no official tie-in with it. I wouldn't be surprised if [the proverbial] they didn't visit, but Apple has no official influence on how this forum operates. So, as jail breaking an iPad is a legal venture, we talk about it, have links to how to do it and ... jailbreak our iPads!

Last edited:
OP
I

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a ton for such a detailed reply. Really appreciate it.
. mine says (type ) model A1396 . Wuld that throw some light on whether this is jail breakable ?

>[quote ="Mickey330"] youcan see what version your iPad is running by going to the Settings app, under the General column and pressing About (on the RH side).[/quote]

Mine is on 4.3.3 8J2

>
Mickey330 said:
>>>>>>>>> oh, and there's no drives, per se. The iPad doesn't have a file system as you are used to seeing in Windows. As you'll see, it's app-centric, not file-centric. .

Ok. When I save a photo or a video where do I save that ?

>
Mickey330 said:
those are internet rumors. Apple hasn't done anything to an individual's personal iPad. What people have had to do (in order to avoid potential warranty issues) is to restore their iPads to stock prior to taking it to an Apple store for advice or repair. .
"
how does one restore to factory settings ? As of now I hardly have any data On this I pad and going by my learning speed it looks like it would take months or years before such a thing as valuable data gets in here .. ,!!

Mickey330 said:
jif you personally "freeze" your iPad, there are ways to get it back, 99.9% of the time, even if it's just to restore the iPad to a fresh-out-of-the-box State.
Could you post any short tips or URL ? Since this forum seems to be accessible on the net I can eventually get to it using my pc Should need arise

Mickey330 said:
>>>>>>> Ah, but you see, this isn't an Apple-owned forum. It's privately owned and run, Apple has no official tie-in with it. I wouldn't be surprised if [the proverbial] they didn't visit, but Apple has no official influence on how this forum operates. So, as jail breaking an iPad is a legal venture, we talk about it, have links to how to do it and ... jailbreak our iPads! .

Great

Last edited:

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad.subu said:
Thanks a ton for such a detailed reply. Really appreciate it.
. mine says (type ) model A1396 . Wuld that throw some light on whether this is jail breakable ?

>

Mine is on 4.3.3 8J2

>

Ok. When I save a photo or a video where do I save that ?

>
"
how does one restore to factory settings ? As of now I hardly have any data On this I pad and going by my learning speed it looks like it would take months or years before such a thing as valuable data gets in here .. ,!!

Could you post any short tips or URL ? Since this forum seems to be accessible on the net I can eventually get to it using my pc Should need arise

Great

The model number has nothing to do with the ability to jailbreak. Let me make it simple ; iPad 1 can, and iPad 2 can't.

To restore to factory settings, restore with iTunes, or go to settings, general, reset.

And if you freeze your iPad, just restore with iTunes. For more info, search in the forum for "DFU mode for dummies".

Most reactions