Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by Cdubya, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Cdubya

Cdubya iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just got my iPad 2 about a week ago. It's an adjunct to my 13 inch MacBook and I love it!

How do I transfer a pdf document from the Mac to the iPad?

Also, is there a 'trash' where I can get rid of a home screen icon?

Thanks for the help!

2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 1
    Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Some of the app icons can't be deleted. To delete those that can, press and hold any icon. After a while they'll all start to 'jiggle' (Apple's term not mine!). Icons that can be deleted will have a cross in their upper left hand corner. Touch that cross and you'll be offered the opportunity to delete the app - it deletes the icon *and* the app.

There is a program that most all iPad users have called GoodReader. It's the 'Swiss Army Knife' for the iPad and it can store files all together and in folders - or however you want them - and can transfer files to and from your PC using either WiFi or USB without the need for iTunes. It's built in web-browser can download files too, something that Safari doesn't offer - except for PDF format. From within GoodReader you can open those files in any app that supports that type of file. Having said that, though, when a compatible app does open that file it makes a local copy that it works on, so the original copy in GoodReader is left untouched. If you want to store the modified file in GoodReader you have to transfer it back there by some means.

GoodReader can also attach several files to an email and then send them using the iPad's native Mail app - something you can't do from within Mail itself. It also gives you the opportunity to annotate PDF files and save the resulting file so that it can be read on a PC or Mac.

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
    Scotland

3. Georgia boy

Georgia boy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @Tim
    Where is the "Good Reader" found? Is it on the iPad already or do we have to download from somwhere?
    Is it another browser in addition to safari?

GB

4. Tim SPRACKLEN

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 1
    It's a separate app (or program) that you have to download. You find it at the iPad App Store. Go to the iPad Home screen, hit the App Store icon then enter GoodReader into the Search box. You have to pay for it - though it's inexpensive - once you've purchased it the app will download and install automatically. It has a built-in browser, but the purpose of this browser is not really for surfing - use Safari for that - but for times when you want to download files from a website. Safari won't allow you to do that, but the GoodReader one will. GoodReader has loads of other features.

Don't hesitate to contact us again if you need any more help - we're always here and happy to help...

Tim

5. Georgia boy

Georgia boy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    is there an Open Source for this one also?

6. Tim SPRACKLEN

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 1
    GoodReader is a commercial app available from the App Store. It's very reasonably priced - but not free. For sure, the source code is not available - I don't know of any apps whose source code is in the public domain.

Tim