What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie question - will using the iPad plugged in make it last longer?

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Newbie question - will using the iPad plugged in make it last longer?

I've replaced batteries on my ThinkPad computers (the oldest one was made in 2002) and this is my first tablet. I understand the end user cannot replace the battery, and I'm using it a lot, re-charging it every couple of days.

I wonder if using it plugged in would extend the life of the battery or cause the iPad to run too hot causing a different problem? (Or anything else I'm not thinking out loud about).

Of course, I realize using the iPad with the cable attached it less convenient.

Thanks.

Bob

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's no harm in using the iPad as much as you want while it's plugged into the charger. Even when the iPad is plugged in its running on the battery, which is kept topped up by the charger. The lifetime of the battery is based on the number of full charge cycles it undergoes. I think it would take quite a bit of use while plugged in to equal one full charge cycle.

OP
BobbyBoomer

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks. That's what I suspected, and my search on the forum turned up too many hits that had nothing to do with my question. I obviously didn't know how to use the right combination of search terms to think the noise out of the answer.

Bob

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The battery will be dead soon. Don't overcharge the battery, most of the tabs and phones battery becomes dead if we continuously overcharge it.
You can't overcharge an iPad battery. Leaving it plugged in will not harm the battery. The charging circuitry knows when the battery is fully charged and will go into a maintenance cycle of small discharges and trickle charging.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iPad batteries work different, as scifan57 told you. You can't overcharge them, and auto cut won't harm them either.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
But I think overcharging do harm the battery maybe its auto cut then also.

Well, I believe that you need to educate yourself on modern lithium ion battery technology - two of our experienced posters have already made statements contradicting your comments. Quoted below is a list of the pros & cons for this battery type (put together from several web-based articles over the months).

As already stated, Li-ion batteries have built-in circuity to sense temperature, charging state (and tract cycles), voltage regulation, and 'shut-down' steps if overheating is an issue. Now these batteries can indeed overheat, expand, and have even 'burst into flames' (an extreme rarity - "It's not very common -- just two or three battery packs per million have a problem -- but when it happens, it's extreme." - Source).

So, the bottom line is that Li-Ion battery technology is safe and having the battery plugged into a computer or i-Device will not under normal circumstances harm the battery nor the device. As an example, I keep my MBPro laptop plug into power probably 99% of the time - has been going well for 2 years w/ just over 200 cycles used & 93% battery health - Dave :)

Lithium Ion Battery Technology

Pros
  • Much higher energy density (i.e. lighter)
  • Hold their charge (lose 5%/month vs. 20%/month NiMH)
  • No memory effect (complete discharge not needed)
  • Handles hundreds charge/discharge cycles
Cons
  • Degrade as soon as made (not based on use)
  • Sensitive to high temperatures
  • Ruined if completely discharged
  • Needs on-board computer for management
  • Small chance of bursting into flames

OP
BobbyBoomer

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I gig as a musician and use ThinkPad computers exclusively. I'm not a brand snob but the advantage of using Windows is that if both my main computer and my spare go bad on the same day, I can go to any store, pick up a replacement, put my flash drive in and make the gig.

I use ThinkPads because they are bulletproof. The oldest ThinkPad on the sage was purchased in 1992. Back in those days, about an hour on battery is all you can expect. I always use it plugged into the AC, and today, 13 years later, it's still running but only has about 20 minutes battery time. I could replace it, but really, I don't need that much. If the power goes out, the PA isn't working anyway, so I only need enough time for a safe shut-down.

I was hoping the batteries and charging circuits on the iPads were similar.

I'm looking at some music software that I might want to play 'in real time' on stage, and if that's the case, I'll keep it plugged in like my ThinkPads.

Thanks again,
Bob

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can't overcharge an iPad battery. Leaving it plugged in will not harm the battery. The charging circuitry knows when the battery is fully charged and will go into a maintenance cycle of small discharges and trickle charging.

I agree but it's still advantageous to let the battery cycle down a few times here and there for accuracy and just to "work" itself once in a while. I don't have any scientific data to back this up, just the way I see it.

My Airs battery still works like a champ and I charge it when needed but don't leave it plugged in all the time.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cycling down the battery doesn't improve battery life. It just helps the phone/tablet predicting more exactly how long the battery will need until it's discharged again.

What you should do with Apple's batteries:
Recharge them frequently.
Don't let the battery run down below 20 - 30 %, if possible.
Allow it to recharge partially.
If you need a more accurate estimate of the remaining charge, run down the battery until it cuts off, do this once a month, or even less frequent.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you did'nt get me lets just leave it for now.
I suppose you were agreeing to "...but don't leave it plugged in all the time".
It doesn't harm the battery when it's plugged in constantly. That's what we were stating above. Whether or not somebody keeps his iDevice plugged in, is his or her personal decision. It doesn't increase or decrease battery life.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Johanna's post above, in line with others' advice in this thread, is correct, and besides that perhaps we could get the good oil straight from "the horses mouth";). Let's hear it from someone who really knows...Apple's vice president of iPad Product Marketing.
Tap on this link:
http://9to5mac.com/2012/03/27/apple-clarifies-the-new-ipad-battery-overcharging-non-issue/
I could also point you to an article presented here via Ardchoille, a long-standing respected member of this forum, who some time ago suggested this link for further info...
Click on this:http://www.scottyloveless.com/blog/2014/the-ultimate-guide-to-solving-ios-battery-drain
So maybe a bit of in-depth reading won't go astray:D
Andrew

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There's no doubt that using the iPad plugged in make it last longer, it is because i have a iPad, and i have used it for a long time...

Hi Summer.. - welcome to the forum! :) Just curious, what proof do you have (need links and not a personal opinion) that keeping an iPad plugged to power will prolong it's battery life? As is already evident in this thread, opinions indeed vary on this topic - probably the two most detrimental factors in reducing a lithium ion (or polymer) battery's life is exposure to excessive heat and repeated 'complete' discharges - some more interesting discussion HERE-1 and HERE-2 w/ factual documentation.

As already stated, I keep my MBPro plugged in nearly all of the time; its battery is in excellent condition and likely will last beyond the time I plan to upgrade to a new computer (at 2 years presently). I had an iPad 2 (now on an Air 2) for nearly 4 years and typically allowed the battery to discharge (but rarely below 50%), i.e. just inconvenient to use while constantly connected to a charging cable - not sure 'how many' charging cycles the battery went through (Apple seems to not let developer's of battery apps present this information in iOS - at least that is what one told me in an email question I sent); but the battery in that old device was still in great shape and probably provided about 8 hrs per 100% charge.

So, I've used Apple Li ion/polymer batteries both fully charged and w/ almost daily recharging after a partial discharge - does not seem to make a big difference in my experience - the links given above seem to imply that minimal partial discharges w/ recharging might be the best choice - but in most cases, these devices are likely replaced before this battery issue becomes apparent? Dave :)

Last edited:

alicepattinson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think yes it'll last longer because you are still charging it while in use. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts