Newbie question - photography workflow

Discussion in 'iPad for Photographers' started by Penali18, Mar 20, 2012.

1. bgosselin

bgosselin
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

What I'm trying to achieve is similar but should be easier to do. But I still can find a apps that would do the job correctly.

With my DSLR I can save raw on the compact flash and jpeg on a SD card.

I would like to browse the jpeg directly from the SD card without transfering the picture on the iPad. I want to view them full screen and be able to delete the one that are bad on the SD card. When I get what I need I can download the jpeg I like and kept on my computer at home and use the raw image only when needed for adjustments via lightroom or aperture. I'm a casual shooter and don't want to work on all my picture. Only a select few.

So far I try with photo smith 2 without success.
    I tried with Ifile but find out it work only on jailbreak iPad (won't go that route)
    Seem possible with wifi SD card but don't have that.

The photo on the iPad let me see what's on the card but only in small thumbnail. To small to make a decision.

2. Parapet

Parapet
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    As far as I've been able to find out, to do what you want with the full screen preview you have to jailbreak your iPad. Even the eyefi sd cards just transfer the pictures over - no live preview. But it doesn't take too long to transfer the pictures to your iPad and photosync should transfer them to your computer pretty easily from your iPad as well.

3. Diane B

Diane B
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I'm lazier than all of you LOL I'm a long time Lightroom (and Photoshop) user but gave up carrying a laptop for travel several years ago. I carry a number of big SD cards, transfer all my files to the Ipad while traveling, process the ones I want to share by email or Flickr/Pbase, but when I get home I just transfer to my PC built for photo processing directly. I've tried other ways but this is so easy--the one thing the OP wanted--to cull and/or organize while traveling--I found I can do that so much more effificiently while uploading to Lightroom but on the Ipad I can also save to an album after processing in one of several apps I like--if only temporarily. No reason to shoot RAW + jpeg. All the apps I use deal fine with RAW--I like Leonardo which is interesting with PS like layer ability, Snapseed, Photogene and I had liked Filterstorm but just added the new Filterstorm Neue-a very powerful processing app.

I do have several transfer apps which work pretty well but are a lot slower than just uploading from the cards to the PC directly. With the 128 GB Air processing is fun and relatively quick--esp. when I think of when the first photo processing apps appeared for the Ipad One--and even the Three.

Just a thought if you want to use one of the apps that has the ability to make selections or layers--I use an Adonit Jot Classic (non BT)stylus but I have used a big Wacom tablet for years so working on the Ipad similarly is comfortable.

Diane

#13 Diane B, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  4. shaka71

shaka71
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    You do realize that every RAW file has a jpg in it with your camera settings? Scott Kelby told me about an awesome program for windoze that will extract the jpg out of the RAW file super fast. Since I started using that, I always shoot in RAW exclusively.