What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie Q: Accessing unlocked Wi-Fi networks. Possible? Anonymous?

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know a few people who purposely keep their wifi unlocked. They will share with whomever wants to mooch. They don't do that much on the internet and feel that they are paying too much for the bandwidth. The Internet used to be free.
Usually when I am using a business wifi I'll connect to my ISP via the VPN connection. It adds a little feeling of security for me even though I won't be punching in a credit card number or PayPal password.
A neighbor was mooching off one of my coworkers. He decided to look around on the moocher's computer since his entire drive was shared.

Sent from my iPad using iPF - Peace

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know a few people who purposely keep their wifi unlocked. They will share with whomever wants to mooch. They don't do that much on the internet and feel that they are paying too much for the bandwidth. The Internet used to be free.
Usually when I am using a business wifi I'll connect to my ISP via the VPN connection. It adds a little feeling of security for me even though I won't be punching in a credit card number or PayPal password.
A neighbor was mooching off one of my coworkers. He decided to look around on the moocher's computer since his entire drive was shared.

I travel a lot out of the country and use every public wifi available sometimes residential if I have to. I use my own 256bit encrypted VPN from my home in Tulsa. I don't trust any wifi but my own even locally in Tulsa.

The people I know who use residential unsecured wifi use a VPN. Some do quick simple things like pull email,texting,or even Skype through there secured app which is what I used to do when my phone/internet shut down 3 years ago. You can do these thing in your car while stopped at a red light. You can purchase something from your secure Amazon.com app in that time.

Your coworker friend or anyone else may think he's trying to be clever and leaving his wifi unlocked but it does not matter. The days of just using a PC are gone.
The others who do the serious mooching have a dedicated computer for gaming or streaming have VPN. Like I said before,people who mooch now may not be your neighbor and can be up to 7 miles away. They use a VPN with computers and iphone/ipad with apps. They just don't care.
And I don't think your coworker can do anything with a moocher using his wifi who is not even in his neighborhood and using a portable wifi radio streaming a staion in Brazil or a 40 in. wifi enabled TV streaming Netflix.

Best to just secure your wifi.

Last edited:

LisaH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If someone doesn't limit access to their internet, and it is an open connection there could be two reasons: (1) They may not know about internet security or (2) maybe they do not care if other people access their connection. If I left my wi-fi connection open and it was accessed by strangers how can I get pissed? I say if you have to use an unlocked connection in an emergency go for it. Even if it's not an emergency. It's absurd to think that people wouldn't access your wi-fi connection if it's left unlocked.*Always secure your personal network.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
LisaH said:
If someone doesn't limit access to their internet, and it is an open connection there could be two reasons: (1) They may not know about internet security or (2) maybe they do not care if other people access their connection. If I left my wi-fi connection open and it was accessed by strangers how can I get pissed? I say if you have to use an unlocked connection in an emergency go for it. Even if it's not an emergency. It's absurd to think that people wouldn't access your wi-fi connection if it's left unlocked.*Always secure your personal network.

Absolutely true. It's like leaving your keys in your car and expecting someone not to take it for a spin. They MIGHT not, but do you want to run the risk.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Pretty interesting stuff. Here is something else that affects me personally. I live in the sticks even though the next town is only 6 miles down the road. At home, no cable available and no wi-fi either. Until last year I was using dial-up to get to the Internet.
Then Virgin Mobile BB modem stick became available. Now I have ONE bar but manage to get 10 x the speed of dial-up sometimes. At $40/mo I'm still on their unlimited to 5GB/mo plan after that they can slow me down. I usually use between 3 and 4 GB and can use the stick on all my PCs.

So if I want to do some serious surfing, I go to the public library wi-fi. I pay taxes and that's why they decided to make access free for everyone. No PW needed. So how secure it what I do there? As I said without wi-fi at home or through a work place, I don't have PW protection.

Tomorrow I'll get my first iPad with 64 GB Wi-Fi AND 4G LTE Verizon. Their data plan is not exactly cheap so I would stilll go to the public library for d/l and anything else that eats up GBs.
How secure from hacking into my computer or iPad will I be?
Appreciate any suggestions.

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IGonz;479098... There is a wifi antenna you can buy that has a range of one mile. I have have one of these and when I connected it at home here in S. Tulsa there were 47 unsecured residential wifi and 12 free business wifi in range. These antennas are great when you have a 7th floor condo on the coast. I can connect to my wifi while on the beach or while sailing. I attach it to a high point on the sailboat. I have my wifi extended antenna on the balcony of the condo. Range is more than two miles.[/QUOTE said:
Where can one get one like that? I'm thinking of using my iPad as a hotspot and extend the range to another room or to the patio where I could use my laptop.
I guess it wouldn't be useful in bringing in a better signal to my cell or to the Virgin Mobile BB stick.
The next tower is miles away and not line of sight either. I'm surprised I even get one bar.

I tried the iPhone 4S with ATT and had No Service or a spotty one bar. Returned it for a refund.
Verizon shows complete coverage even here but I'll find out tomorrow for sure.

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have this super wifi antenna but it can only used on my laptop because of USB.
Amazon.com: C. Crane US3 Super USB Wifi Antenna 3: Electronics

There is a marine super wifi antenna that has a 7 mile range but it cost around $1400. What's interesting about this antenna is the ability to pull in the signal and use it as a hotspot at the same time with an additional antenna that's attached.
If I find something that plugs into an iPad I'll post it here.

dMog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am with Gabriel1.... and the others that say the bad guys will set up a wifi open network to go fishing so to speak...

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I, too, live about six miles from the nearest town (about 900 people). I have a wifi connection on a digital dialup account. It is slow but fun enough. The wifi is set up with a 26 digit password. It fits with what I needed. I don't know if a portable hotspot will work in this canyon. My Verizon phone doesn't get much of a signal.
Well, back to the topic at hand. Accessing an open wifi with your iPad should be safe. I would take nothing for granted and only make credit card purchases on a site known to be secure, or while connected via VPN. Periodically you should look through the logs of your access point to see who is using it. If you notice that you have unknown visitors, change the password or block their MAC address.

Most reactions

Latest posts