1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

newbie on iPad mini

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions - Site Assistance' started by JeffPinkham, Mar 12, 2013.

1. JeffPinkham

JeffPinkham iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just got an iPad mini
    Struggling with controls, How to kill an app
    How to move away from a screen without selecting an option etc
    what is the best way to learn all the controls for an ipad mini?
    Jeff
  2. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    1) download ibooks
    2) download the iPad Guide to iOS 6.1

Both are free.

If there is no back button in the app, you either have to press another botton or press the home button.

To kill, double press the home botton. The little dock appears at the bottom. Find the app you want to kill, long press until it wiggles, then delete when the little red "minus sign" appears. Kill all you want. Press home to end the kill process. Touch the screen to close the dock thingie.
  3. The OB

The OB Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +859 / 1
    G'day Jeff and welcome to the forum.

This could be a start:
    http://www.macworld.com/article/2023246/get-started-with-the-ipad-and-ipad-mini.html

But something like that is easily reachable using your web browser. I suggest you search the web in Safari (I also use the Google app), and use the forum search facility as well. But of course don't hesitate to ask if you have any question. Many helpful people here to assist.
    Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  4. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,754 / 0
    Hi, and welcome to the forum! It's good to "see" you and I hope you enjoy your visits.

To "kill an app" has two meanings. To make it so you're not looking at it (close it), hit the physical round button ("Home"). It's the only button on the iPad.

Then, while most people let the iPad handle fully "killing" an app, if you want to completely close it (remove it from showing as ever been used) - use a four finger swipe up gesture on the home screen (or, double click that Home button). Then, press any icon until it wiggles. You will see a minus sign in the upper left; press it for any app you want to fully close. Do note that this isn't removing the app from your iPad, it just fully removes it from memory.

I'm not sure what you mean by "move away from a screen without selecting an option." Do you mean swiping from page to page (on the homescreen) to see your apps/icons loaded? The homescreen(s) are the default view - if you are not in an app, you are at the homescreen(s).

The best way to learn an iPad is to use it - pressing buttons and such. There are also free guides from Apple for the iPads. Here's a link to one ("iPad User Guide ForiOS 6.1"): https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/ipad-user-guide-for-ios-6.1/id600665136?mt=11

You'll need to download/install iBooks (free) from the AppStore to access that link. But, once you get it, it's chock full of useful tips on the iPad and iOS 6. Oh, and Apple considers the Mini to be the same as an iPad, operations-wise. So, the book will still be useful for a Mini owner... :)

Marilyn
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,754 / 0
    And, now that I've posted, I'm reminded of two things. One, I'm a slow typist! :)

And two, Apple provides a user guide bookmark with every iPad. Go to your Safari app and open your bookmarks. There will be a pre-installed link to the user guide. To find the bookmarks in Safari (and the guide), see this picture:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363092883.755829.jpg

Hope all this helps.

Marilyn
  6. smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +86 / 0
    Congrats on the Mini Jeff and welcome to the forum!