Newbie - not yet iPad owner!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions - Site Assistance' started by nessva, Aug 20, 2011.

1. nessva

nessva iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi everyone,

I'm not yet an iPad owner, but I've joined up here in the hopes of finding some advice to help me make a decision about an iPad for business/work functions over a MacBook Air.

But in general, I'm never sure what to say in these intro posts! I'm from Australia, I have a dog (who is being very quiet right now) and a husband (who is making a lot of noise right now)!

Vanessa
  2. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0

That is too funny! Thanks for joining, Vanessa! I think you should get both the iPad and the Mac, personally.:D
  3. nessva

nessva iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Haha well ideally I would love to get both, but right now my bank account says choose one OR the other :)
  4. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    Oh. Of course ~ well then. I would get the iPad. Really it depends on your needs....
  5. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Definitely the iPad....it will change your life - I use it for 90% of what I used to do on my laptop - which is feeling very lonely now....:(

Tim
  6. nessva

nessva iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm basically looking at running a business, it won't be more than part time, doing editing (and those kinds of bits & pieces) for uni students' essays, or small businesses for funding submissions.

I do have a 15" MB Pro which is my "desktop", I'm just looking for something that I can cart with me on my commute to my day job to get some work done. Hence iPad vs MB Air.

I've just been flicking through the forums here and it does look like most of what I will need to do can be done on an iPad, it's just a case of getting the right apps and generally being set up with a good workflow.

I'll keep searching the forums, it sounds like I'll find the apps I want with no trouble at all. :)
  7. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    If it's for editing then I would think you may be better off with the Air as the iPad apps for office are good but not perfect......but if you can afford both then go for it, they are both beautiful machines.

The Archangel
  8. nessva

nessva iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's why I'm leaning toward iPad before the Air. Especially since I have a full laptop at home so I still have "proper" word processors for when I need them.