What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

newbie needs help

auntymaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone.I've just got my sexy new ipad2 .I love it but have a big problem. I use google street view a lot and msn is my usual homepage and I can't view either street view or news videos because install flash player comes up every time I try to view. Apple helpline suggested that Skyfire browser app would enable but this doesn't work either.
I can't believe that such a sophisticated product doesn't allow access to such major sites' videos.
Can anyone help me
Auntymaz

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has never made any secret of the iPad not supporting Flash and there are no really viable workarounds. Flash is an ancient technology and Apple decided that a state-of-the-art product like the iPad should not support legacy protocols like Flash. You'll know, too, that Adobe are gradually phasing out Flash and replacing it with HTML5. You can access Google Street View though on the iPad - it's easy via the iPad's Maps app.

If you really must access a site with Flash, most Members use a remote PC desktop app called Splashtop that allows you to connect from the iPad to your PC, where you can run the Flash content and view it on your iPad. There's a free version too (limited viewing time) so you can try it without risk.

Tim

OP
A

auntymaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim
Many many thanks for this information and I will definitely get the map app you suggest. I'm also interested in your info re flash.I'm sure Apple will eventually enable a more universal viewing app in the future and I will look elsewhere for news report videos for the time being.
thanks again for taking the time to help this Very untechy iPad owner.
Cheers
Auntymaz

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Map app should be on your iPad already - it comes as standard. Apple have said they will never support Flash - there's an Apple statement on their website that says this categorically so don't hold your breath. Basically, it will only be when websites update their content to the new protocol that things will change.

Tim

OP
A

auntymaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi TIm
duh! told you I was untechy!
I didn't mean that I expected Apple to accept Flash in the future, just expressed the hope that a more universal viewing software(?) might eventually turn up, which I think is what you are saying.
Anyway it hasn't stopped me from enjoying all the positive aspects of iPad ownership. Flash is history now so thanks again for your advise...
Cheer
Marilyn

peire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
there is an app that supports flash called all ways on pc its expensive to buy but it is just like a pc your own desktop and you can play facebook games etc

just thought i would share that info :)

peire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not to sure I got the app ages ago and just started using my iPad again so still learning how to use the app it takes a wile to get used to though you can have a mouse on it and you just movie your finger around like I touch pad on a laptop you can desable that in the setting if you want and just use it by taping places I'm going to look into it a bit more as it can be useful when your not on your pc

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts