What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie looking for help

OP
A

ASDVISLD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a recommendation to make it easier for others to help, might be helpful to spell out the diagnostic conditions this child may have versus PECS or IV. That way, others can readily get on and help as well.

Coming from the Medical Industry as well, there are many medical terms and abbreviations we use that are quite common to us but not to others. This might help in your search for help. :)

Ok will do.

The child is with autism often having extreme behaviors and outbursts. She is completely blind, fed through a tube into her stomach and has severe learning difficulties. Being blind is not her main problem, is she was sighted she is as such she would still suffer from the same problems. This is why I struggle with the VI service in the county, they see her as blind, I see her as autistic. They want her to be a tactile learner which, she cannot possibly be, as put her hand in paint/glue/wet and she vomits.

With autistic children in the school, we use a picture exchange system (PECS). They are able to see their timetable/choices/instructions on 6x4 photographs, or for the ones further along symbols or single words. The child in question cannot access PECS in the same way due to her lack of vision. We do have an auditory timetable and talking tin which can act as reminders of acceptable behaviour for the social setting i.e time to be quiet/sitting still. I also have location markers for her so she will know, be association, where we are going via that marker.

She is verbal which does help alot but also can be a problem. Using PECS it is easier to take the picture away and change it for something else if plans or circumstance change. It is a lot more difficult to take back a verbal instruction.

That is pretty much where we are at the moment. I am trying to introduce the aspect of change at the minute using a surprise/something special technique. This is where she is told what is going to happen, but when handed a sponge (our marker for surprise) she knows the next activity is not what she thought it was going to be..

She amazing on the piano and keyboard and is a lovely little girl. She just needs someone to give her options that she couldn't choose herself as she doesn't know the exisit, and that's where I come in :) She can now swim, even under water, which 18 months ago wouldn't even get in the water.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ASDVISLD said:
Ok will do.

The child is with autism often having extreme behaviors and outbursts. She is completely blind, fed through a tube into her stomach and has severe learning difficulties. Being blind is not her main problem, is she was sighted she is as such she would still suffer from the same problems. This is why I struggle with the VI service in the county, they see her as blind, I see her as autistic. They want her to be a tactile learner which, she cannot possibly be, as put her hand in paint/glue/wet and she vomits.

With autistic children in the school, we use a picture exchange system (PECS). They are able to see their timetable/choices/instructions on 6x4 photographs, or for the ones further along symbols or single words. The child in question cannot access PECS in the same way due to her lack of vision. We do have an auditory timetable and talking tin which can act as reminders of acceptable behaviour for the social setting i.e time to be quiet/sitting still. I also have location markers for her so she will know, be association, where we are going via that marker.

She is verbal which does help alot but also can be a problem. Using PECS it is easier to take the picture away and change it for something else if plans or circumstance change. It is a lot more difficult to take back a verbal instruction.

That is pretty much where we are at the moment. I am trying to introduce the aspect of change at the minute using a surprise/something special technique. This is where she is told what is going to happen, but when handed a sponge (our marker for surprise) she knows the next activity is not what she thought it was going to be..

She amazing on the piano and keyboard and is a lovely little girl. She just needs someone to give her options that she couldn't choose herself as she doesn't know the exisit, and that's where I come in :) She can now swim, even under water, which 18 months ago wouldn't even get in the water.

If those PECS board apps are appropriate then combined with the iPads Special Needs capabilities they may be perfect as the iPad will read the pictures out for her.

BTW, Skimonkey is my guide through all of this as I have no medical knowledge at all!

The Archangel

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok will do.

That'll be really helpful for our members so they can understand what her physical limitations and her specific needs are.

Have you seen these two links?

One is guided access where you can lock certain apps to keep those open without accidentally closing it out by pressing the home button. http://www.ipadforums.net/special-n...-needs-autism-adhd-learning-disabilities.html

Also,have you see this thread link for autism apps?

http://www.ipadforums.net/apps-spec...der-asd-other-developmental-disabilities.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/apps-special-needs/4866-there-simple-yes-no-app.html

OP
A

ASDVISLD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That'll be really helpful for our members so they can understand what her physical limitations and her specific needs are.

Have you seen these two links?

One is guided access where you can lock certain apps to keep those open without accidentally closing it out by pressing the home button. http://www.ipadforums.net/special-n...-needs-autism-adhd-learning-disabilities.html

Also,have you see this thread link for autism apps?

http://www.ipadforums.net/apps-spec...der-asd-other-developmental-disabilities.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/apps-special-needs/4866-there-simple-yes-no-app.html

I've had a look at a few things, and I'm starting to think the simpler the better really. I don't want to make it overly complicated for her and grow frustrated with an object that could really aid her learning.

I'm lucky in that I have another year and a half (academically) with her and I am also her out direct payments carer so I can spend time with her on it. I want her to get enjoyment/learning/fun out of it but don't want to blur the boundaries of school/home with movies etc.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had a look at a few things, and I'm starting to think the simpler the better really. I don't want to make it overly complicated for her and grow frustrated with an object that could really aid her learning.

I'm lucky in that I have another year and a half (academically) with her and I am also her out direct payments carer so I can spend time with her on it. I want her to get enjoyment/learning/fun out of it but don't want to blur the boundaries of school/home with movies etc.

Yes, keep it simple and without distractions.

I am not sure which region you belong, but in the USA, many health organizations have educational programs focused on the use and applications of the iPad for families and their loved ones with autism. In addition, many schools have educational programs similar to this as well which you might want to tap into for additional resources.

OP
A

ASDVISLD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, keep it simple and without distractions.

I am not sure which region you belong, but in the USA, many health organizations have educational programs focused on the use and applications of the iPad for families and their loved ones with autism. In addition, many schools have educational programs similar to this as well which you might want to tap into for additional resources.

I am based in the West Midlands are of the UK yet had to apply to a London based charity who were so accommodating. It was a maximum of 2 weeks from sending the form off to having permission to order the equipment.

The local VI service have been sending me leaflet after leaflet about iPads and there uses and how they can bring on blind children leaps and bounds yet wouldn't provide her with one. SO annoying.Yet this charity is now offering to help the school as a whole.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums from Australia. I sure given time we can come up with ideas and or apps that may assist your requirement. Regardless of where you live we have thousands of users every second watching our forum so given time you should get more responses. Keep on mind we all live in different time zones so not every one of our regulars are on line at any one time.

Again welcome

Colin Administrator

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk in Australia

Most reactions

Latest posts