What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newb question ios 5.1 to ???

winzentween101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello, I know there are various guides and tips but I am struggling to find the specific one for me.

I have an ipad 2 fully jailbroken untethered

I now need to upgrade to 6 + as lots of new legit apps require it....

What is the best way to do this please with a link or basic steps...

Also what is the situation with the scene...what is the latest ios and is it jailbroken and what about tethered etc.?
also i have a game save app for backing up but do i need to back up files and photos etc...? i have i fun box if that helps.

I did do my own jailbreak a few years back but i have forgotten it all.

I have a pc and xp and an ipad2 and cables etc.

please help and if this has been asked and adequately answered i am sorry i missed it but please direct me....

thank you :D

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not possible at the moment if ever. The iPad 2 sports an A5 processor, which unfortunately is not susceptible with the LimeRa1n exploit on the A4 and below devices such as the iPad 1, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, which is what allows these devices to be selectively restored if you have blobs saved. There are ways to go back to iOS 5.X, but unfortunately no way to selectively restore otherwise.

The only iOS that you can restore to now that're viable are back to the iOS 5.X that you currently have, or iOS 7.0.2, which is the latest iOS for the iPad 2.

It may be possible to do so in the future but I wouldn't bank on it unfortunately.

OP
W

winzentween101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello, thankkyou for your interest, but I do not understand? the ipad is already jailbroken and there are countless guides and posts discussing updating 5-6? such as this one www redmondpie com jailbreak-ios-6-untethered-with-evasi0n-windows-mac-linux but I wish for some specifics. Can you link me to info which states that a jailbroken ipad 2 is not upgradable as this is the first I have heard of this :?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you check the dates on the article. it's all the way back in February when iOS 6 was still the latest iOS. It's common knowledge that the iPad 2 and above is not downgradeable because of the sole lack of a bootrom exploit or a software exploit that remains unpatched.

A debate was launched in the jailbreak community by @MuscleNerd and @P0sixNinja over a supposed rumor of an actual bootrom exploit, and it's confirmed and set in stone that there will never be a bootrom exploit for A5+ chipsets unless Apple seriously takes a dive and uses the A4 again but amping up the speed on it. MuscleNerd has already set in stone during a HitBSecCon that no downgrades will be available for A5+ devices because you do not have the hardware exploit on it, and a software method of downgrade is impractical because it has to be tailored for your device and will burn many exploits once the method is broken down by Apple.

If there's a way to do it, it'd be plastered everywhere over all jailbreak communities. If there isn't, you can fantasize about it but it'll never come.

2013-10-05_2115.png

To be frank, if there was a bootrom exploit or any practical method of implementing a downgrade method, I'm sure both iPhone and iPadForums will jump on it and immediately downgrade to iOS 6 as there is an untethered jailbreak for iOS 6 that's working perfectly, an iOS 6.1.3/6.1.4 untethered jailbreak in the making, and the riddance of a fruity yet full of issue iOS 7.

Last edited:
OP
W

winzentween101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HELLO, thank you for explaining but there seems to be some confusion. I have a jailbroken ipad 2 with 5.1 ios I want to upgrade to 6 or above. this tutorial on this site seems to says ipad 2 can be upgraded to a 6 or 6.1 jailbroken so if its upgrading I presume from a lower version such as 5 etc???: ipadforums.net/jailbreaking-hacking-tutorials-how-guides 102722-tutorial-jailbreak-ipad-ios-6-0-6-1-using-evasi0n.html
what am i missing...sorry for being a noob but im missing the logic where something cannot be upgraded..........if im wrong then which ipads are these guides for???

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
HELLO, thank you for explaining but there seems to be some confusion. I have a jailbroken ipad 2 with 5.1 ios I want to upgrade to 6 or above. this tutorial on this site seems to says ipad 2 can be upgraded to a 6 or 6.1 jailbroken so if its upgrading I presume from a lower version such as 5 etc???: ipadforums.net/jailbreaking-hacking-tutorials-how-guides 102722-tutorial-jailbreak-ipad-ios-6-0-6-1-using-evasi0n.html
what am i missing...sorry for being a noob but im missing the logic where something cannot be upgraded..........if im wrong then which ipads are these guides for???

Once Apple releases a new iOS version, they close the window for earlier versions. As in, you can no longer put that particular iOS on an iPad.

And, starting with iOS 5, Apple changed the way the iOS gets validated. So, even if you have SHSH blobs for a lower version, you cannot upgrade (or downgrade) to it.

Now that iOS 7 has been released, there is no way to put any version of iOS 6 onto an iPad. If you were not on an iOS 6 version when Apple closed the window (back around September 19th), then you cannot do it.

And, the posts you are old posts that were valid at the time they were written. However, they don't apply to your situation.

The only upgrade option available to you is iOS 7.0.2. Sorry.

Marilyn

OP
W

winzentween101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WOW REALLY??? that makes no sense in my head,
as that is nothing like anything else I have experience with (like a console hack etc).
So are you saying that ios upgrading and downgrading cannot be done in isolation off line?
I had no idea as my ipad is usually offline so apple are not connected to it but apparently when the ios is changed it goes online???
so nothing like a pc??? really.....and no one has made a virtual fake server or something (like diablo 3 pc) ?
If this is the case then no wonder ive been lost.

So as I have 5 i can only go to 7 and 7 is not jailbroken but 6 is but i cant go to 6 as im 5.......

that seems most unfair as the jailbroken apps I use and functions are legit and even now im only upgrading to use a free app lol I kind of hate apple right now for this as it seems so unfair when ive paid for this hardware and hoped i could do what i liked with it...but clearly we are all renting :?

also i wish someone had told me in september as i would have avoided this by upgrading lol

Here is a final question.....what is the liklihood of this 'state' changing or ios 7 being hacked (i know the chap above said unlikely but any thoughts?)

Also thank you all for clearing this up as i could not find anything straighforward online clearly stating the situation.

Last edited:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Again, read the date on the post. The reason why you can upgrade to iOS 6 in the article is because that's the latest iOS. The latest being signed is iOS 7.0.2.

Jailbreaking is not favored by Apple, hence the constant patching of exploits and vulnerabilities. That's not hard to grasp. You can make a private server sure but it's as useful as a flip phone. Because you have no authentication for any Apple-based products or any Apple-required signings, your server does nothing of any kind. If Apple had no affiliation with the signing/verification process when restoring, they might as well leave it open-source so that all iOS devices are holding a "Hey, give me Malware please" sign.

If you're going to jailbreak a device, you should already know that when an iOS threshold is released, there'll be a change in requirements. Jailbreaking requires that you maintain your device, not just have it jailbroken and leave it laying around. Much like a computer, you don't expect a user to still be running Windows 95 or OSX Cheetah/Puma. Jailbreaking a device is the easiest part, maintaining and learning why you have to maintain it and keep up with the updates is what requires work. Frankly, if a jailbreaker needs to be reminded to restore your iOS to a later iOS to take advantage of a newer tool that broke the traffic for Cydia for an entire week, then jailbreaking definitely shouldn't be a priority for the user.

iOS 7 is being worked on by Evad3rs. News will be posted here. The apparent necessary pieces or majority of pieces are found and tested, but it needs to be compiled for further testing.

2013-10-06_1101.png

Last edited:
OP
W

winzentween101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oh well thanks for that but you are wrong in your opinion in my opinion though in an ideal world we would all be experts and constantly evolving our understanding but in reality most people are casual which is not nec. a good thing but a fact. People make comprehensive guides and forums and posts and threads and boards specifically to enable a total noob to become an expert overnight but then the majority move on and often forget what they learnt or only retain what they learnt and nothing more till they need it again where the process starts again. This is not an ideal scenario but it is he way everything in western society seems to have gone i.e. vast resources and limitless knowledge but little understanding or original thought and the few doing the lions share for the many. Maybe it always was like this but the digital age has just made it that much more obvious to all.
I am one of those people, though Id rather not be I cannot retain the info. with the dozen other full time hobbies and interests I have so I pick and choose in and out. As no one told me (though there was ample op.) about 'your' very logical system of routinely periodically upgrading of ios I never knew and never imagined there would be only a limited windows to do so (unheard of in any other hacking forum and seemingly there are 100/0s of people out there in my situation) so I sadly missed (1) window of opportunity as a result, which I now regret and am suffering for (till some kind chap resolves my problem for me).
Thank you all who helped and I know others will find this thread and gain the answers I never did till now and maybe by then 7 will be hacked.
I think what is important to understand before making a judgement is that when something complicated and highly technical is made incredibly easy in literally 3 steps (and that is an actual selling point) using basic, readily available hardware and software and all this for free, it is so very easy to suddenly have an entire generation of ignorant but well meaning noobs operating the very latest, expensive and sophisticated technology so infact if there is any blame it is equally shared with those who make it so very easy for all level of expertise to be on an equal playing field when infact they are not at all.
A good example of this is when man started to control fire and then shared the secret to his neighbour which changed everything and lifted us all up from the evolutionary muck all the way to ipads today but it would not be till 125,000 years later that we would actually understand what it was we had done and even then only an elite few would truly understand and be able to teach others the sheer magnitude of what was involved. I have no idea how fire works or an ipad ios signature but I will continue to use both and follow how to guides and maybe one day I will be an expert helping another.
Eitherway I hope to have a working jailbroken ios7 by xmas lol thanks all :D

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Jailbreaking a device and setting it aside without maintaining it can cause more harm to your device than just leaving the device stock. A vast majority of jailbreakers in general solely jailbreak to pirate, with no sense of what jailbreaking is actually about. Next comes a minority that jailbreaks because it sounds cool. They'll jailbreak their device just to fit in the medium, and will not put the effort to making sure they did not deal more harm that good for their devices. What's left are those that actively maintain their jailbreak and dwell on the constant changes.

Sure there are plenty of guides and tutorials out there that spoon-feeds you how to get something done, but if you don't take the time to understand the smaller aspects of it, then those guides/tutorials are just words and pictures on a screen with no intrinsic value. At least three-quarters of jailbreakers will just follow a guide/tutorial to the dot and not take the time to understand what's being done on stage or behind-the-scenes. They take for granted what's presented to them rather than valuing the work that needs to be done to get everything compiled the way it's compiled

Most reactions

Latest posts