What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New user - and can't find any answer to my calendar question

donwest48

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am new to ipad (Gen 3) and this forum.

A few minutes ago I was trying to post a "past" or historical event in my iPad Calendar.

It takes the Saturday, April 7, 2012, event, and then it mysteriously vanishes before my eyes. The first time I thought maybe I did not hit "Done" or something like that.

But I realized it did not like my doing it at all.

If this is for real, then why does it even permit me to add a past event for my historical record?

It adds it, and you think it's there, and it vanishes.

What am I doing wrong, other than trying to add something just over 30 days old?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I'm not sure what is happening in your calendar but I've just added an event for that date in mine and it works fine. Is this the native Calendar for the iPad as I'm a little confused about Historical Event, do you have this heading as I don't. But try closing this app completely and then relaunch it. From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press the app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, now press the home button to return to your screen. It's also a good idea to close all these apps, as it helps the iPad run smoothly, let us know how you go.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

OP
D

donwest48

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I'm not sure what is happening in your calendar but I've just added an event for that date in mine and it works fine. Is this the native Calendar for the iPad as I'm a little confused about Historical Event, do you have this heading as I don't. But try closing this app completely and then relaunch it. From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press the app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, now press the home button to return to your screen. It's also a good idea to close all these apps, as it helps the iPad run smoothly, let us know how you go.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

LeeLai: Thanks so much for your welcome and your effort to help me with the Calendar. Yes, I was referring to the native Calendar which resides on my iPad.

I followed your instructions and tried to add something on January 1, 2012, 4:00 p.m. The calendar accepts it as normal, but then, before my eyes, it vanishes from that date in 3 or 4 seconds. It self-deletes.

The word "historical" might have been confusing. What I mean is that I often record PAST events and incidents for searching and reference at a future time.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your welcome and your effort to help me with the Calendar. Yes, I was referring to the native Calendar which resides on my iPad.

I followed your instructions and tried to add something on January 1, 2012, 4:00 p.m. The calendar accepts it as normal, but then, before my eyes, it vanishes from that date in 3 or 4 seconds. It self-deletes.

The word "historical" might have been confusing. What I mean is that I often record PAST events and incidents for searching and reference at a future time.

Take a look at your Calendar settings in your Settings app. It might be that you have it set to sync for only 30 days, so it won't keep anything over that time. To do, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars and scroll almost to the bottom of the right side (in landscape). There is a line there titled "Sync" and when you press on it, you'll see you have options to sync 2 weeks, 1, 3, or 6 months back or for All Events.

So, what happens if you select to sync All Events and then try to enter that older date? Just an idea, but maybe...?

Marilyn

OP
D

donwest48

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! My settings were "sync" to 30 days, causing the problem I described.

I have changed this. The answer seems so obvious, but being a new iPad user, I do not intuitively know where to go.

This forum was worth the price of admission for that one thing! *lol*

Now, my next task is learning how to navigate in this forum!

Glitter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
how can i add old dates to my ipad calendar

Hello, New to the forums. I am also having the same problems as the other user. I have an iPad 2 and am trying to enter
Old dates on my calendar. I tried all of your suggestions, changed my settings & done a hard reset & the info I enter on the calendar still disappears. I am stuck.

Most reactions

Latest posts