What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to the iPad w/Absinthe Issues

AzFlyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can now stop being jealous of all the people using iPads as I recently acquired one of the original version. It's missing all the bells & whistles of the New iPad but I don't care. I have an iPad and about 4 other android tablets I never use. Now, if I can only get Windows 7 & my laptop to allow Absynth to complete the jailbreak instead of stopping 1/3 of the way thought the process. Yes, I am running it as Administrator.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the forum! Good to "see" you and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Of course, I have to ask about your problem with Absinthe (it's kind of my "job" :D)...

I jail broke my iPad (an iPad3, not a 1, but still...) using a Windows 7 PC and had no issues. So, if you have

(1) Upgraded to stock iOS 5.1.1
(2) Restored the iPad as new (have no apps on it, only have access to the Internet)
(3) Followed the Absinthe instructions to unpack using the first .exe file and then clicked the second .exe and hit the "Jailbreak" button...

Have you checked any firewall or anti-virus settings on your PC? Sometimes, they affect proper communications. Are you getting any error or message at all or does it just stop?

If everything seems fine, then all I can suggest is that you start over again; put a "fresh" iOS 5.1.1 stock iOS on it and re-do the Absinthe process (even go so far as to get fresh downloads of the iOS and Absinthe). Maybe that'll help?

Marilyn

P.S. And, although this is a good place for your intro post (yay that you finally got an iPad!), since you talk about problems with Jailbreaking, I've taken the liberty of moving this post over to our Hacking section. Hopefully, more jailbreakers with experience will see this and be able to help. Thanks for your understanding.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, definitely shut down any other running tasks. VMWare services have also been noted as a culprit preventing jailbreaks. Close everything you can using task manager before you start the JB.

Armondo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marilyn, have you experienced IE going nuts when trying to extract the Absynth files? I have downloaded the zip file & double clicked on the file. IE just keeps opening & closing...can only stop it by restarting.
Could this be firewall / AntiV??

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Marilyn, have you experienced IE going nuts when trying to extract the Absynth files? I have downloaded the zip file & double clicked on the file. IE just keeps opening & closing...can only stop it by restarting.
Could this be firewall / AntiV??

It very well could be - but I don't know for sure. Mainly because I don't use Internet Explorer (I use Firefox).

But, have to ask: are you using an extractor program to extract the files from that .zip file you downloaded? I ask because I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to double click on .zip files - you're supposed to extract them and then open the folder that's created in the extraction process.

That could be what is making the file/IE work so weirdly ... the files aren't extracted properly and so aren't running properly. Cause, I've never seen that type of behavior before.

Marilyn

Armondo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
It very well could be - but I don't know for sure. Mainly because I don't use Internet Explorer (I use Firefox).

But, have to ask: are you using an extractor program to extract the files from that .zip file you downloaded? I ask because I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to double click on .zip files - you're supposed to extract them and then open the folder that's created in the extraction process.

That could be what is making the file/IE work so weirdly ... the files aren't extracted properly and so aren't running properly. Cause, I've never seen that type of behavior before.

Marilyn

Sorted. I didn't have a zip utility so vista defaulted to IE as the file type. IE was trying to open it. Thanks anyway

Most reactions

Latest posts