What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new to iPad

ren41

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello everyone - what a great forum! I am new to the iPad (32gb 3G white - still no sign of any black 32gb 3gs appearing in the UK, does it really matter?) and I have been amazed by just how enamoured - after 2 days of ownership - I am with it. I need more battery life!

I am a technofan anyway, a designer and ex-programmer. I've had an HTC Desire HD since they came out and I have been mostly very impressed (esp by comparison with the Blackberry Storm I had previously :) ) so I might well have gone down the Android route for a tablet, had it not been for the fantastic painting and other development apps which are available on the iPad and don't look to be going to appear on the Android platform. Oh, and a number of problems with the Android implementation of Exchange ActiveSynch.

Otherwise, so far I'm not so impressed with the apps I've found on the App Store. So much of what I've read has focused on the lack of quality on Android market but there seems to be plenty of rubbish on the App Store too, all presumably sanctioned by Apple and generally more expensive too. I do appreciate that there are far more apps on the App Store (and yes, a distinct lack of Android tablet apps did also influence my decision!) but it seems quite hard to find a good selection, no matter what your criteria. I have tried looking at lots of 'best apps' lists but they just prove that everyone likes something different, and in general they're certainly very random selections! Maybe I've been looking at the wrong websites?

Anyway, I look forward to learning lots on the forum!

ren

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome

hello everyone - what a great forum! I am new to the iPad (32gb 3G white - still no sign of any black 32gb 3gs appearing in the UK, does it really matter?) and I have been amazed by just how enamoured - after 2 days of ownership - I am with it. I need more battery life!

I am a technofan anyway, a designer and ex-programmer. I've had an HTC Desire HD since they came out and I have been mostly very impressed (esp by comparison with the Blackberry Storm I had previously :) ) so I might well have gone down the Android route for a tablet, had it not been for the fantastic painting and other development apps which are available on the iPad and don't look to be going to appear on the Android platform. Oh, and a number of problems with the Android implementation of Exchange ActiveSynch.

Otherwise, so far I'm not so impressed with the apps I've found on the App Store. So much of what I've read has focused on the lack of quality on Android market but there seems to be plenty of rubbish on the App Store too, all presumably sanctioned by Apple and generally more expensive too. I do appreciate that there are far more apps on the App Store (and yes, a distinct lack of Android tablet apps did also influence my decision!) but it seems quite hard to find a good selection, no matter what your criteria. I have tried looking at lots of 'best apps' lists but they just prove that everyone likes something different, and in general they're certainly very random selections! Maybe I've been looking at the wrong websites?

Anyway, I look forward to learning lots on the forum!

ren

There is some junk on the APP store, but there is a useful app for everyrhing you need to do. If I may make a few suggestions, (These are apps that most owners find invaluable) and then post a thread with your requirements...One of us here is bound to point you in the right direction :)

1) GoodReader. An ipad essential for PDF, Web site managemnet and much much more.

2) for your office requirements Office HD (complete package) or Pages (WP) Numbers (Spreadsheets)

The usual round of entertainmanet apps like BBC iplayer are available free.

For the princley sum of £0.59 TuneIn radio (almost every radio station in the world.

I won't baffle you with any more for now, but just ask, we are here to help!

Enjoy your new ipad

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome from Scotland, too.

Try the NASA app - it's free and very educational.
If you're in to maths, try some of the Wolfram apps for solving equations.
There's the BBC iPlayer - free, too and Channel 4's 4oD

Tim

OP
R

ren41

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome from Scotland, too.

Try the NASA app - it's free and very educational.
If you're in to maths, try some of the Wolfram apps for solving equations.
There's the BBC iPlayer - free, too and Channel 4's 4oD

Tim

I've bought Pages, plus some of the better painting apps - I downloaded iPlayer but where is BBC Alba? It was on the Nintendo iPlayer channel and if you were lucky you could also move from that to music on the Irish Gaelic channel. The kindle app of course and some social networking apps, although they don't seem as comprehensive as some of those on the android Market.

I've read conflicting info on whether or not iTunes backs up apps and documents. If it doesn't then what is the best thing to use? Otherwise, at the moment do I need any AV/security software?

I went for the 32gb version, thinking I'd only be using it for painting and drawing but I can see already I was wrong!

I am a bit annoyed by the lack of directional arrows on the keyboard, especially as apple seem to have vetoed any alternative keyboard app development. They make it it so easy to make corrections, it seems like a big omission - am I missing something?

TIA

Ren

Most reactions

Latest posts