What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to ipad

Faan4u

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello
I need help with some ipad features.
1- if I use option "open in" for a pdf file to open it in a different viewer it makes a copy of that for to be used by that app. Is it true if yes then it's any way to stop this so i keep only file and be able to acces from any app.

2- what happens when my ipad is locked. Does it go to sleep mode or something because my app stops. If i toggke lock/unlock feature from general settings then my screen keeps on even ehen i put smart cover. It consumes battery. Is there any way i switch off screen and app still runs.

Thanks

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you open a PDF in a particular app, it will only be viewable in that app. Apple's sand boxing rules don't allow apps to access files located in other apps. There is no central file depository on an iPad that's accessible from any app.

When the screen is off, the iPad will go to sleep, stopping an app from continuing to operate. The only way to stop this is to set the iPad to never go to sleep, consuming more battery power.

Last edited:
OP
F

Faan4u

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for reply.
sad to know ios doesnt work as i expected.
one more question i have about syncing pdf files. i came from android and i used ezpdf reader there to sync pdf files with dropbox. Syncing was pretty fast like doing highlight few paragraphs on pdf. syncing took few seconds even for files over 100 mb. and i always had updated version of files on my tablet and on laptop.
Working with ios i used goodreader and PDF expert they do sync files but they upload complete file to dropbox everytime i close file, which takes time.
Is there any pdf reader app which syncs only changes with dropbox and doesnt upload complete file.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Scifan's reply is true in general, but there are some new file managment features in iOS 8 and some caveats that may apply to backgrounding of apps.

1) In iOS 8 it is now possible to open files from other apps, but only if you use iCloud Drive, and only apps that support the feature. How to get to the feature isn't as standardized as it could be, so it can require some hunting around. In most app, you get the choice of making a new copy in the current application, or just linking to the file in the other application.

In the first case it's just like using Open In, except you use the destination app to get the file; not the originating app.

In the second case the new file will look like it's in the current app (usually with some indicator that it's not local), but you'll be workig on the original file. Any changes will affect the file in both apps.

Here is an example of what it looks like in PDF Express, my go-to app for PDF file markup and management.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430087115.891785.jpg

2) There are a limited number of things an app can do in the background, provided the developer supports it. Most apps shut down completely, or at least partially when the screen is closed. Other apps may continue to work, even showing status on the lock screen; Maps and Music for instance.

Other apps may continue to monitor certain kinds of device status while the device is locked, or not open in the foreground. Most exercise and step tracking apps do this.

And finally, some apps will update content in the background (if enabled in settings).

Otherwise, apps don't actually keep on working in the background. For the most part you can't set some task that takes time to complete, let the iPad lock, and expect it to be finished when you come back later. However, shutdown is not instantaneous. Apps have a certain amount of time to complete some types of tasks, like uploading or downloading a file, before they finish shutting down. I think it was ten minutes, the last time I checked.

OP
F

Faan4u

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks that really helps.
I guees I've to learn ios rules.

Most reactions

Latest posts