What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Ipad-air

Geoff9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All
New to this forum, just thought I would say hello, bought the wife an Ipad-air for Christmas and trying to set it up for her so he can read her Mobi books on it, at the moment she loves her Kindle so I thought as this was a bigger screen and better definition it might improve her reading pleasure.

Regards Geoff

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All
New to this forum, just thought I would say hello, bought the wife an Ipad-air for Christmas and trying to set it up for her so he can read her Mobi books on it, at the moment she loves her Kindle so I thought as this was a bigger screen and better definition it might improve her reading pleasure.

Regards Geoff
Welcome to iPad Forums, Geoff! We're here to help you and your wife get the most out of her new iPad. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

OP
Geoff9

Geoff9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your input, do you have to put your card details on the ipad to set it up, or can it be done without as I don't like putting info like that as my wife of myself only have to press the wrong thing and I get a bill.
Regards Geoff

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you for your input, do you have to put your card details on the ipad to set it up, or can it be done without as I don't like putting info like that as my wife of myself only have to press the wrong thing and I get a bill.

Hi Geoff - welcome to the forum! :) I'm assuming that you are setting up an Apple ID account and are reluctant to provide them w/ your credit card information - correct? My wife & I share a single Apple ID and have a credit card registered - easiest option, especially when making purchases - do you not trust your wife to make the right decisions? ;)

But, check this Apple Support Article if you do not want to leave your credit card; of course, each time a purchase is made (books, apps, music, etc.), you will have to provide the CC information - kind of a pain and Apple is quite reliable in keeping this information secret - good luck. Dave

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple is one of the most secure places to use your credit card online. You can also, if you choose, use iTunes gift cards to make purchases through iTunes or the App Store.

OP
Geoff9

Geoff9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you both for your help, as we are both in our 70s and have a 3year old Grand'Daughter who plays on her Mums Pad(not ipad) and her little fingers are every where and I can't keep up with what she is doing, I don't want to spoil her fun but don't want a big bill when my Bank statement arrives,

Also I have looked at free apps but there seems to be a price at the side of them, sorry to go on but want to get it right.
Regards Geoff

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can turn off app downloading and in app purchases if you don't want that surprise bill after your granddaughter plays with the iPad. You go to Settings>Restrictions> and turn off Purchasing Apps, Deleting Apps, and In App Purchases. This will remove the App Store icon from your home screen and make running up an App Store bill impossible. You can also turn off the iTunes Store in the same list in restrictions to stop anyone without your restrictions passcode from downloading or purchasing any iTunes content. Just make sure your granddaughter does not have your restrictions passcode and you'll not be getting any unexpected credit card bills.

If she wants a particular app or in app purchase you approve of, you can do it yourself, then turn off the App Store again.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just to supplement Scifan..'s excellent discussion, for those w/ multiple family members and a number of devices, Family Sharing is a consideration - below just one paragraph from the link - purchases must be approved by the family organizer - take a look if your situation fits the description. Dave :)

All new iTunes, iBooks, and App Store purchases initiated by family members will be billed to the family organizer’s account. But the organizer can still call the shots. Just turn on Ask to Buy for children in the family. When a child initiates a purchase, an alert is sent to the organizer, who can review the item and approve or decline it right from the organizer’s device. This applies to both purchases and free downloads.

OP
Geoff9

Geoff9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again for your help, I have been trying to set the ipad up at night when the wife as gone to bed as it's a Christmas present but I have saved the links you have kindly put up and a link to this thread.
Regards Geoff

Most reactions