1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

New to calendar, options how to set up best?

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by Stephen19, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Stephen19

Stephen19 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi, I have just been using iPad cal and have lots useful info logged. All in blue though and not multiple coloured and on sep calendars as shown in the Apple demo units in their shop.
    I think I need to set up a cal on my pc and sync to it. So, question...should I use my pc exchange cal and sync to this but if I do will I lose all entries already on iPad cal?
    OR should I set up a new internet cal by subscribing to one of the listed popular cals and sync with this? And will my iPad entries be safe or lost?

So I guess I have a blank ish starting point and ask what to do. I would just like a few colour options to distinguish events, maybe five or six colours/cals, not a big business function set up.
    Thanks
    Stephen

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Good to hear from you. Have a look at twerppoet's post here..

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/19581-stock-calendar-app-color-questions.html

Hope this helps, but if there's still a problem, don't hesitate to get back to us...we *love* iPads....

Enjoy your iPad....

Tim
    Scotland - wow, sunny two days in a row - I must be hallucinating ....
  3. Stephen19

Stephen19 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Tim. But leaves the assumption I am to set up a google account and then a calendar. And does not say if I would lose details already on my iPad cal! That's important to me as don't wish to lose all work entered. And would I be better to simply use my exchange cal already on my pc? So many questions i know :eek:
    Thanks.
    Stephen

4. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,003 / 1
    Hmm, I never thought of that.

So I tested it out. I had to turn off all my calendars to force the Calendar app to make another local calendar. I'm not sure I ever had one, since I've been syncing online calendars pretty much from the beginning.

The answer is, when you set up your Google account it will ask you if you want to Delete the local calendar events. Tell it to Keep them. It warns that you may end up with Duplicates, but this did not happens. Probably because I also told it to remove all my calendar events when I disabled the online calendars.

After the GMail calendars showed up I played just a bit more. It is possible to tap on the local event and change the calendar to the Gmail one. This way you can transition, one at a time, all your events to the more flexible online calendar.

I can't vouch for using your PC Exchange calendar, but it should be the same, with the same warnings. Unless your PC Exchange calendar syncing with an online service, I recommend setting up and using Google Calendars instead. This is a much more flexible and portable setup.

Along with the the link that Tim provided, take a look at this one. It has more details on setting up GMail with multiple calendars, which you are probably going to want, if you go that route.

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...tance/18578-ipad-multiple-e-mail-sending.html

One more thing: You can set up a default calendar for new events under Settings >> Mail, Contacts, Calendars >> Default Calendar. Of course you'll need more than one calendar before there will be any to choose from.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  5. ipadidiot

ipadidiot iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Google calendar entries sync - times not??

Hi,

I have just sync'd my Google calendar with the pre-loaded calendar on ipad. Seemed to work fine except that the ipad is 8 hours out??

I'm sure this has something to do with the fact I'm living in HK (8 hours ahead of GMT). Although my ipad reflects that i'm in Hong Kong and Google calendar knows I am GMT + 8.

Any ideas????

Thanks
    Matt
  6. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,003 / 1
    You've probably already checked this, but go into Settingd >> General >> Date and Time. If you have a 3G iPad time will probably be set automatcaly. If not make sure it has you in the right time zone.
  7. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Also have a look at

'Settings', 'Mail, Contacts, Calendar', 'Time Zone Support', -> here you can set up the option to force the Calendar to use a Time Zone that's not your current location....in case you're away on business but need to be reminded of the correct times for, say, conference calls back to your home location. So perhaps you've got that set for GMT....

twerppoet is up late........

Tim
    Scotland
  8. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,003 / 1
    Way too late. Thanks for the catch. I forgot about that setting. :p
  9. Stephen19

Stephen19 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, I have set up google calendar. Was disappointed to see I have to set up yet another email account that I shall never use for email though, didnt realise this!
    Before I sync cal with iPad I wanted to check that this google mail will not in any way now start to impact my iPad email accounts?
    I have two email accunts on ipad currently, one imap and one pop which finally are all working great. Don't wish to undo my previous work now! Simply want cal to sync. Could anyone confirm this to me?
    Thanks
    S

10. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,003 / 1
    When you add the GMail account to your iPad you will have a chance to turn off the email if you want. Even if you do not, it will simply create anothe set of folders and inbox. It will not interfere with your current email account. Make sure your primary account is default in Default in Settings >> Mail, Contacts, Calendars >> Default Account. This will make sure you send mail from that account when in the All Inboxe folder.

If you have a local calenda on the iPad, you will get a chance to erace or keep those events. Pay attention to the warnings and Keep them. It will not replace or intrfere with calendars synced from other accounts. A new calendar is created.

You can hide and view your calendars using the calendar menu at the top left.
  11. ipadidiot

ipadidiot iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Tim, you were quite right about the 'Tiem Zone Support' - this was set to London. Unfortunately, after I changed it all of the calendar entries disappeared?! I've tried going through the whole syncing process again but it doesn't seem to be working.
    This is driving me mental!!
    Matt
  12. Stephen19

Stephen19 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    One other thing on the google cal - is it possible 'take out' night times I.e. 12pm through to 7am? Or a selected number hours on the cal.
    I am unlikely to ever have need to add meetings in here and it makes cal days longer to spin though? I do this with work pc cals.
    Thanks
    S

13. Stephen19

Stephen19 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, tried setting up g cal on iPad and got the unable to verify message. Do I need to go into iTunes to set a sync on cals option? Also I have an option to have SSL on or off. No idea what this is but set on at moment.
    Help appreciated...
    S

14. Stephen19

Stephen19 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OK I have sorted it all - to a point !
    I had in error had server as m.gmail.com instead of m.google.com so that corrected and the cal loaded and synced.
    HOWEVER, it ONLY shows events that are my main cal name and NOT the other colours I had loaded. So how do I get these other cal events in other colours to sync also? Or should I re load them all...will try that now.
    Thanks
    S

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  15. Stephen19

Stephen19 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I managed to syn all cals now, colours not as ideally wanted for each cal but I can see that it's an iPad issue !
    Can live with it as it is and the football events are at least in green, very luckily!
    S

16. Stephen19

Stephen19 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Twerppoet, would you know the answer to my problem at all...listed under another topic but gist is that the google enabled cal colours on my iPad keep changing at random every 2 days...even when I don't sync with pc or do anything!
    Really frustrating as I get them set as I want and then out of the blue one colour will change...normally to brown.
    Any knowledge would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    S

17. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,003 / 1
    Sorry, no idea at all on that. Mine remain stable, or I've never noticed the changes, one of those two. I'll keep a closer eye on mine, and think it over. If I come up with anything I'll get back to you, but it sounds just plai wierd.

BTW, how are you changing the colors? Mine just set randomly when I enable the sevice. No change I make on Google has ever made a differnce.

But back to wierdness, try a restart or soft reset. I doubt this will help, but it won't hurt to try.

18. Stephen19

Stephen19 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks Poet. To change a cal colour I add up to 10 dummy cals onto google cal and label each vacant colour 1, vacant colour 2 etc. Then I add these to the sync menu. When I need to change a cal colour I select just the cal whose colour I wish to change and switch every item in that diary slot into the vacant colour cal that I want, want it was originally. So I then have no entries in old original colour cal and so I then delete this in google cals. Finally In same place I change name of new cal from vacant cal 1 to what it was before...and it's back in orig colour.

So I have up to 10 vacant cals with no entries but just with selected colours ready to go...pain eh!
    And only works as new to using the cals so not too many entries to alter each time. At moment.

Not something I would want to keep doing either.
    S

19. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,003 / 1
    I never thought of that approach. It sounds like a pain, but better than turning the calendar sync off and on in accounts like I did. I just did this several times until it randomly selected colors I was willing to put up with.

I've done it since then, too, but I also removed all but the main calendar. Ether I got spectacularly lucky, or it actually synced the color on that calendar, because it is currently the same in all three places, my iMac, iPad, and Google Calendars. Even my Droid X has my Google calendar in an eye pleasing purple.

When I was working with multiple Google Calendars it had a disturbing tendency to pick a rather ugly and hard to see tan/brown and faint orange.