What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Apple World

bkbrimmer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings everyone. My name is Keith and I am currently living in Australia. My iPad2 is the first Apple product I've ever used and am having a difficult time of it transitioning from a Windows-based OS (e.g., no Flash support, the issues stemming from Apple's proprietary nature, the many browser navigation differences, etc.). My two biggest frustrations currently are 1) I have an app on my iPad that I cannot delete because it seems to be in "loading" mode and syncing it with my laptop does not rectify the problem; and 2) my iPad does not charge when plugged into my laptop as I think it should. Can anyone tell me what is going on with these two issues? Thanks.

Drak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the iPad is not designed to charge from the USB port on a PC but I have found that it will if you close off iTunes, it's only a trickle charge tho so it will take some time to charge this way, for the app you could try turning the iPad off completely (this is a kind of reset) and that might allow you to either finish loading it or remove it from the desktop

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

The answer to your second question is that the iPad needs a special high-current charger. The charger that's supplied with the iPad charges at 2A whereas a regular USB port is limited to 500mA. The iPad therefore displays 'Not charging' when plugged into a normal USB port to warn you about this. If the iPad is switched off and plugged into a USB port it will charge very slowly but it should normally be charged using the supplied charger. Even the identical looking iPhone charger will not provide the 2A of the dedicated charger.

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

OP
B

bkbrimmer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanx

Thanks to both of you. The power issue is a disappointment as it's one more restriction I'll have to deal with. And shutting the power off to resolve the app deletion issue did not work (I had tried that several times already.) Oh well, I guess that's what I get in trying to straddle two OSs. Actually, three now that I own (and love) my Samsung Galaxy SII. At least the advice here is fast, solid, & free. Cheers!

rd86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If an app get stuck on loading. First try to turn the iPad on and off. It then may ask you to enter your iTunes password again and hopefully it will start loading again. If not go to a computer and open up iTunes. Now click on iTunes store and search for the app. Download it to your computer and then sync your iPad making sure that the app is selected to sync. This should do it. If not let me know. Can try other methods.

Rhys

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If your PC USB port makes enough current available the iPad will charge just fine. Most do not. The newest USB 3.0 ports should, and Apple's do, but many Windows PCs will not.

The current generation iPhone and iPad chargers will both deliver enough current to charge the iPad or iPhone and deliver to both devices correctly.

-t

code8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well its gud..

Anyone suggest to me if i want to more free apple apps where i can get ??

OP
B

bkbrimmer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rd86 said:
If an app get stuck on loading. First try to turn the iPad on and off. It then may ask you to enter your iTunes password again and hopefully it will start loading again. If not go to a computer and open up iTunes. Now click on iTunes store and search for the app. Download it to your computer and then sync your iPad making sure that the app is selected to sync. This should do it. If not let me know. Can try other methods.

Rhys

Thanks for the advice Rhys, but I already tried both of your suggestions several times to no avail. It wasn't until I stopped into a Mac store earlier today (whereby my iPad immediately picked up the store's WiFi signal) did the glitch straightaway work itself out. So the turning off & on the power and the syncing methods did not "unstick" the stuck app, but for some reason a WiFi signal completed the installation of the app. Indeed a glitch. Cheers for your help though.

OP
B

bkbrimmer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
If your PC USB port makes enough current available the iPad will charge just fine. Most do not. The newest USB 3.0 ports should, and Apple's do, but many Windows PCs will not.

The current generation iPhone and iPad chargers will both deliver enough current to charge the iPad or iPhone and deliver to both devices correctly.

-t

Right. Thanks for the explanation Witt. Now I understand.

Most reactions