What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Apple - Wanting to play Pokemon Online

SilverVayne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the site and I've never owned anything Apple before. Thought this would be the best place to look for answers on help with what iPad to purchase.

I want to use the iPad almost strictly to play the Pokemon Trading Card Game Online and since they aren't releasing an Android version I need an iPad.

I don't want to spend over $100 and I will only be using the iPad on Wi-Fi. Does the iPad need to be unlocked or does it not matter? Will a Generation 1 (they're cheap on eBay which is the only thing I searched about iPads before coming here) run PTCGO good enough?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the site and I've never owned anything Apple before. Thought this would be the best place to look for answers on help with what iPad to purchase.

I want to use the iPad almost strictly to play the Pokemon Trading Card Game Online and since they aren't releasing an Android version I need an iPad.

I don't want to spend over $100 and I will only be using the iPad on Wi-Fi. Does the iPad need to be unlocked or does it not matter? Will a Generation 1 (they're cheap on eBay which is the only thing I searched about iPads before coming here) run PTCGO good enough?
Welcome to iPad Forums, SilverVayne!

I'm assuming that this is the game you want to play on the iPad?
image.jpeg

Pokémon TCG Online on the App Store
This game requires at least iOS 7.1 to download and play. This means that the iPad 1 won't work as its highest available iOS version is iOS 5.1.1. Any of the other iPad models would work but the newer models have more RAM and faster processors. Since all you want the iPad for is to play this game you won't need the extra storage capacities offered for each model. The base version of each model comes with 16gb of storage which should be fine if you're just playing this one game. The iPad 2 would be the cheapest but I'd recommend getting at least an iPad 3 of better still, an iPad 4 as they both have 1gb of RAM and will likely receive support longer than the iPad 2.

WiFi only iPads sell for less than WiFi plus cellular iPads, which you won't need with a reliable WiFi connection. If you buy on eBay, only buy from established sellers with the highest levels of positive feedback. Make sure they have a return policy in case you receive a dud.
Apple sells refurbished iPads that sell for less than the new models but more than you'd pay on eBay. The advantage is that the refurbished products that Apple sells have the same 1 year warranty as new iPads.

You could also look for local and online stores selling used electronics to see what they have.

You should expect to pay more than $100.00, though. How much more depends on who is selling it and what kind of after sales service they offer.

OP
S

SilverVayne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perfect reply. Thank you. The info on the Wifi only versions is a big help.

Most reactions

Latest posts