What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Apple products, is the iPad right for my son & I?

budmonster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a tablet, I have an old Kindle Fire and it's just time to upgrade. I'm an Android fan always have been, was thinking of maybe getting the new Nexus 7 or waiting for the next Nexus 10 2nd gen. Then I forgot I have never used an Apple product (but been dying too) so I'm kind of leaning towards an iPad 4 now. For some reason I really want an Apple product, don't know why? As an Android fan Apple is always getting kicked around. I would mainly be using it with my son it would basically be his, educational purposes, etc. I heard that iPad's are great for kids, learning and a great teaching tool? The Kindle Fire just doesn't have that many solid educational/learning applications in the Play store/Amazon market. The iTunes market, yes it has less apps but the apps seem to be more solid, the Android & Amazon market seem to have a lot of junk apps. If I do go and grab that new iPad 4 tomorrow am I making the right choice. We have that new Nexus 10 coming down the line, a new Asus Transformer Pad, a new Samsung G Tab and so on. Will the iPad 4 still be relevant for the next couple years? Or am I going to be buying an iPad 5 in the upcoming months. I was on the Apple website and I saw refurbished iPads. Is there a big difference? I was in the Apple chat with a rep and she said "Most of our refurbished items are like-new and are returned orders or the product of buyer's remorse. Some are even last years model that never sold." Is this true or am I better off buying a brand new one? I was looking at the 32gb models and I would be saving $100 going with a refurbished, which is a lot to me. That comes to my next question, is 32GB enough space? Like I said my 4yr old son will be using it a lot, he loves to play games, I'll be using teaching app to help him, he'll be watching movies and he likes to take pictures but nothing to serious. Anyways, I'm curious to find out what guys think I should do you, your thoughts and comments are welcomed.

I appreciate you guys letting me rant, it's a big step buying a new piece of technology these days lmao.
Thanks...//budmonster

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I'll do my best to chip in here...

I believe that the iPad is a great educational tool, in fact so do my daughters school as they have given her an iPad to use at school, great device and great apps IMHO.

Refurbished is a great way to go......two of my three iPads are refurbs, you can't tell the difference between them and a new one except from the wording on the box that they come in but you do get that $ saving.

32GB should be fine.....what helps is that you can delete stuff that you buy from iTunes or the App Store to make space but you can always re-download your previous purchases for free at a later date.

The Archangel

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I switched from Android (I was an Android developer and graphics designer) to an iPad mini last year.. loved it. I bought an iPad 4 this year and love it too. I was so impressed with these devices that my entire house is now iOS and OS X only - see my sig below.

I have found that iOS apps are indeed more polished and iOS 7 is amazing. Before you make a decision, I encourage you, if you can, to go into a store and play with an iPad 4 to get a feel for it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

OP
B

budmonster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will def go to the store and check out iPad for myself, haven't seen the new iOS7 yet. But... I still can't choose between the 32GB for $499.00 or be really safe and just grab the 64GB for just $79 more? Also, which is better, white or black color. A four year old will be handling it also, I'll probably be supervising him but which is better for seeing less scratches and nicks? His Kindle Fire is his table for games and such, the iPad will be more for learning. Also, can someone recommend accessories that I will need or should get? Can someone start by recommending me a good case that will protect it from a crazy 4 year old lol? Oh, almost forgot, do you guys recommend that I also purchase that $99 Apple+ warranty plan? It seems like someone with kids should get it asap.

Last edited:

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If in doubt about memory, always opt up.. that's my motto when it comes to electronics. The black iPad hides dirt and fingerprints better, not sure about scratches.

I purchased the Apple wireless keyboard because I've never been good at thumb typing. This keyboard pairs instantly with the iPad 4 and turns it into a mini desktop machine.

Yeah, with a 4 year old you're definitely going to need a case, though I'm not sure which one. Hopefully someone with case knowledge can chime in.

kelB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a big apple fan with numerous apple products.

When I made the decision to get an ipad. I wasn't sure if it was right for me. Given I had the iPhone I just thought it was just going to be a giant version of that and would be a waste of my time.

Will never look back, its perfect for everything I need, from mailing to searching the web, shopping online and even the kids are addicted to it. As said above the use of deleting apps then re-downloading them from App Store is good..

I have a 16GB and find it ample for what I need, if I run out of space I have a clear out as said above.

I've got a biased view as I have never tried other devices but apple are a good all rounder IMO and apple support are brilliant and I've never had any issues.

Refurb is a great option also, you think refurb and you thing its gonna be crappy but tbh I've just been sent a refurb iPhone from apple and it has no scratches or anything. They replace and test everything that needs doing. In fact a refurb is probably a better running device since it undergoes testing to ensure you are given a great working product.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I will def go to the store and check out iPad for myself, haven't seen the new iOS7 yet. But... I still can't choose between the 32GB for $499.00 or be really safe and just grab the 64GB for just $79 more? Also, which is better, white or black color. A four year old will be handling it also, I'll probably be supervising him but which is better for seeing less scratches and nicks? His Kindle Fire is his table for games and such, the iPad will be more for learning. Also, can someone recommend accessories that I will need or should get? Can someone start by recommending me a good case that will protect it from a crazy 4 year old lol? Oh, almost forgot, do you guys recommend that I also purchase that $99 Apple+ warranty plan? It seems like someone with kids should get it asap.

I don't seem to use my 32gb of storage but if you can get 64 GB for just $79 bucks I would do it. As for accessories, that's really up to you. If you will be taking lots of pics with a separate camera and transferring them to the iPad then the camera connection kit could be worthwhile. There are numerous cases that work well. Just search around and you'll find a good one. I like my Case Crown bold a lot and it was only about $20 bucks. The warranty plan can be a good but for some people. I didn't get it but I don't have a four year old using it either. I'd make double sure that accidental damage is covered though. If not, getting it wouldn't help you much.

Other accessories that may come in handy depending on usage would be a Bluetooth keyboard, screen protector, and maybe some type of stand if your case doesn't include one.

OP
B

budmonster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is the iPad 5 going to be announced soon? Some guys over at macrumors are telling me to wait?

OP
B

budmonster

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If you where a new Apple consumer, would you go with a refurbished iPad 4 and save a bunch or grab the new iPad. Is there really a huge difference between the two? My pockets are kind of tight right now but if the Airplay is a giant improvement I'm willing to shell the cash out.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you where a new Apple consumer, would you go with a refurbished iPad 4 and save a bunch or grab the new iPad. Is there really a huge difference between the two? My pockets are kind of tight right now but if the Airplay is a giant improvement I'm willing to shell the cash out.

In the ipad news forum, there is a thread that explains the differences between the 4 and the air. :)

Most reactions