What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Subforum?

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The pre release info on the Apple web site said that iOS 5 would include the capability of mirroring the desktop to a tv---if I had Apple TV.

Maybe in the fine print somewhere was a dislaimer that it would not work on my original iPad, but only on iPad 2. If so, I didn't see it.

Anyway, I ordered the Apple tv based on that expectation, then installed iOS 5---only to discover on this forum that it does not work on my iPad. (And the Apple tv is still in the mail!.)

Not really intended here as a complaint, but just an illustration of the special problems we original iPad owners face.

So---to the mods and administrators---a suggestion: how about a subforum dedicated to the iPad 1? That way, we could have much more efficient information sharing about such things that are solely iPad issues without having to do a piecemeal search on each individual topic through all the other subforums.

After all, we who own original iPads have a sizeable investment already. It is just too expensive to upgrade when each new version comes out just to get the latest bell or whistle, particularly when our current model works so well for our fundamental needs.

So, how about it?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was well aware that my iPad 1 wouldn't get mirroring in the update, it has been widely discussed here so obviously widely known.

As for your forum suggestion I'm certain that is something which we can consider.

The Archangel

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree with Heaviside. I am having problems updating my iPad1, it would be nice to have iPad1 issues and concerns listed in a separate location. It is getting more difficult to wade through posts that discuss the iPad in generic terms when the subject matter was unique to iPad2.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with Heaviside. I am having problems updating my iPad1, it would be nice to have iPad1 issues and concerns listed in a separate location. It is getting more difficult to wade through posts that discuss the iPad in generic terms when the subject matter was unique to iPad2.
With a couple of minor exceptions with respect to features, (the mirroring and multitasking gestures for example), the process for upgrading the iPad 1 and 2 to iOS 5 is identical. If you're having some problems, don't hesitate to search and if you can't find an answer post it in the iPad Help section. Here are some troubleshooting tips as well...

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/49411-ios-5-upgrade-troubleshooting.html

I'd certainly wouldn't be opposed to an iPad 1 area though now that there are differences with respect to the OS. We'll discuss it with the owners. :)

Last edited:

Ed62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Add mine as another vote for the iPad 1 area. I wonder why some things don't work on iPad 1? Must have something to do with the hardware??

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Add mine as another vote for the iPad 1 area. I wonder why some things don't work on iPad 1? Must have something to do with the hardware??
Yes, although 99% of things are compatible, some require the iPad 2's additional processing power. That's not to say some things might not work, but Apple sets fairly high standards for how quickly the iPad responds and a few apps or functionality might not have met the threshold.

Multitasking gestures is an example that leaves everyone scratching their heads though. It worked perfectly fine on the original iPad prior to iOS 5, so making it exclusive to the iPad 2 just seems crazy. For anyone that wants to let Apple know what they think about iOS 5, here's their web page...

Apple - iPad - Feedback

Be polite...honey Vs vinegar and all of that! :)

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another vote for the iPad 1 forum. I've run into several threads where discussion is confused or advice is problematic because a user has an iPad 1 and (understandably) doesn't bother to mention it. In fact, I suspect that the separate forum for the iPad 1 is probably more justified than one for the iPad 2. Not suggesting getting rid of the latter. Just noting that there are probably more unique problems/issues associated with the iPad 1 at this point.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another vote for the iPad 1 forum. I've run into several threads where discussion is confused or advice is problematic because a user has an iPad 1 and (understandably) doesn't bother to mention it. In fact, I suspect that the separate forum for the iPad 1 is probably more justified than one for the iPad 2. Not suggesting getting rid of the latter. Just noting that there are probably more unique problems/issues associated with the iPad 1 at this point.
+1 Agreed.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was well aware that my iPad 1 wouldn't get mirroring in the update, it has been widely discussed here so obviously widely known.

As for your forum suggestion I'm certain that is something which we can consider.

The Archangel

Well, yeah---I shoulda' done the check. I'm sure I will enjoy my Apple tv anyway, so my complaint is only a mild one: that I was lulled into a false sense of security by Apple's slick presentations and thus it didn't really occur to me that I should exercise a bit of "caveat emptor" caution!

But if there had been an iPad 1 forum, I would have been monitoring it daily and would probably have been aware of the issue.

Most reactions