What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New SkySafari 3 Pro for IPad is OUT!

TXCheng

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For any Astronomy buffs like myself the new and greatly improved SkySafari 3 is now available for download.

They have 3 versions.
  • SkySafari 3 - $2.99, 50 MB. 120K stars, no telescope control.
    The basic version of SkySafari 3 shows you 120,000 stars, plus 220 of the best-known star clusters, nebulae, and galaxies in the sky. It displays the Solar System's major planets and moons using NASA spacecraft imagery, and includes the best-known 20 asteroids and comets.
  • SkySafari 3 Plus - $14.99, 180 MB, 2.5M stars, telescope control.
    SkySafari 3 Plus adds a hugely expanded database - and wired or wireless telescope control - to our basic version. It shows you 2.5 million stars, and 31,000 deep sky objects - including the entire NGC/IC catalog. It includes over 4,000 asteroids, comets, and satellites with updateable orbits. And it can point your GoTo or "Push-To" telescope anywhere in the sky, using your iPhone/iPad/iPod's built-in WiFi, and our SkyFi or SkyWire serial accessories.
  • SkySafari 3 Pro - $59.99, 500 MB, 15M stars, telescope control.
    The all-new SkySafari 3 Pro has the largest database of any astronomy app, period. It contains everything in SkySafari 3 Plus - but also includes over 15.3 million stars from the Hubble Guide Star catalog, plus 740,000 galaxies down to 18th magnitude, and over 550,000 solar system objects - including every comet and asteroid ever discovered. Yet it runs just as fast and smoothly as our $3 basic version.
I just download the the Pro version last night and it is HOT! Intro pricing on all 3 products. The "Pro" version is just $29 and is well worth the money.

Southern Stars • Products • SkySafari

SkySafari 3 Pro for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Clear Skies! :D

Andy C.
Texas Astronomical Society of Dallas
Texas Astronomical Society

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is my seventh astronomy app, it was on sale for $.99 (I don't need telescope control). It looks spectacular! Thanks for the heads up. :)

Last edited:
OP
T

TXCheng

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know what you mean. I have an entire folder of astronomy apps. From Star Walk, GoSkyWatch and many others. This new version of SkySafari is really complete. I have a Dobsonian without any goto and I don't need telescope control either, but a database with 15 million entries is something else.

Plus at an intro price this is time to get it.

Re,

Andy C.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
TXCheng said:
I know what you mean. I have an entire folder of astronomy apps. From Star Walk, GoSkyWatch and many others. This new version of SkySafari is really complete. I have a Dobsonian without any goto and I don't need telescope control either, but a database with 15 million entries is something else.

Plus at an intro price this is time to get it.

Re,

Andy C.

I'm not quite in the mood to shell out the $29.99 for the Pro version at the moment lol; but, I confess to being tempted. What about the Plus version? I suppose that it would probably be neither here nor there. For now, I'll use the one I have and convince myself that I got a great deal.

I did read your review though, as well as those of the others, and am quite convinced that the big boy would probably be worth every penny. ;-) When I think of it, the wired/wireless remote with the iPad setup also sounds intriguing, although probably still somewhat expensive. I also have a small Dobsonian. That all must have come a long way since I last looked.

Cheers...

Last edited:
OP
T

TXCheng

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whether you get any app depends on how much value you thinks it offers you. For me this product does and others do not. It also depends how how much astronomy you do. I am a fairly serious amateur and try to observe as often as I can - which hasn't been much with all the bad weather in Dallas these days. But when I go to events like Texas Star Party next week this tool will be invaluable. And it should be interesting to see how many amateur astronomers are now using an IPad for observing charts and notes. I have many observing books and charts. I will still probably bring them, but not get them out unless I get stuck.

The price for this good of software pales to how much I have spend on similar software like SkyTools for PC. Another good astronomy program, but more costly. The IPad apps offer some very unique opportunities to make my observing easier and better.

What ever you do hope you have Clear, Dark skies to view from.

Re,

Andy C.

Most reactions

Latest posts