What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Rumour Says iPad Mini Will be On Sale in October

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_mini_kotaku_report.JPG

AppleInsider reports today on a news story on DigiTimes that says that according to its sources, Apple’s supply chain is readying itself for a massive iPad mini production push in September, when it is expected to be churning out four million units per month, ready for an October release date. Interestingly enough, the sources also say that contrary to previous speculation, the iPad mini will not have a Retina display, and will instead have a similar resolution to that of the iPad 2. The sources also say that production of the iPad mini began back in June, but in much smaller volumes, producing just hundreds of thousands per month. Foxconn has also been said to be hiring new employees especially to cope with the increased production demands. Despite Apple not having even confirmed the existence of an iPad mini just yet, it is expected to launch the smaller tablet at a special event in September, when it is also believed to be announcing the iPhone 5.

Source: Rumor: 'iPad mini' manufacture to hit 4M units per month in September ahead of October launch

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read this earlier and thought the lack of retina screen a good possibility, because it's one way to hold the price down.

I wondered about the 4 million per month. Apple doesn't like to have a lot of stock on hand, as one way of keeping costs down (so they can make and sell almost immediately to avoid the costs of keeping inventory on hand). If they actually project 4 million a month in sales and have production running continuously, they'd have to be pretty confident about sales. I think that's likely if they can sell at a low price point.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know...no retina, no buy, for me, anyhow.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I really hope this is true. My dad would love an iPad mini. He uses my ipad or mom's all the time, but says it's too big too carry around all the time.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know...no retina, no buy, for me, anyhow.

I'm sure there will be some buyers who feel that way, but probably few.

I would think that any iPad mini would be aimed at widening their consumer base, and price point would be key. For those who require retina screen, there's still the option of the full-size iPad (or in your case, a second one, lol).

For those who can't afford a full-size iPad, or who are looking for additional portability, retina screen isn't likely to be a deal breaker.

For me, retina screen is low priority. I see the difference, but the iPad 1 or 2 screens don't keep me from becoming immersed in anything I read or watch, which is why I didn't upgrade to the newest iPad.

I am curious to see what else they can come up with to tempt me, though. The features that I'm craving are functional, not sexy, so I don't picture Apple working hard on delivering those. And I don't know whether they can come up with any wow-sers anytime soon.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I'm sure there will be some buyers who feel that way, but probably few.

I would think that any iPad mini would be aimed at widening their consumer base, and price point would be key. For those who require retina screen, there's still the option of the full-size iPad (or in your case, a second one, lol).

For those who can't afford a full-size iPad, or who are looking for additional portability, retina screen isn't likely to be a deal breaker.

For me, retina screen is low priority. I see the difference, but the iPad 1 or 2 screens don't keep me from becoming immersed in anything I read or watch, which is why I didn't upgrade to the newest iPad.

I am curious to see what else they can come up with to tempt me, though. The features that I'm craving are functional, not sexy, so I don't picture Apple working hard on delivering those. And I don't know whether they can come up with any wow-sers anytime soon.

I think you are likely correct in them trying to reach a broader, price sensitive crowd.

But, still, they started the retina thing and, while I may be alone in my view, I think it is a really big deal that sets them apart. If they can keep bringing retina, it will keep them on top.

Yeah, retina doesn't really help with movies, but for text and images, it is wonderful. And what is the iPad without the screen.

But if this next product isn't for me, I'm sure March 2013 will bring something. That might be when I get my second iPad.

By the way, how is the battery on your iPad 1 holding up? Is it still keeping a good charge?

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would think this would mean the end or close to the end of any further production of the iPad 2. Or maybe they have already stopped.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
seneca18 said:
I would think this would mean the end or close to the end of any further production of the iPad 2. Or maybe they have already stopped.

Probably sounds the death knell for the iPod touch too.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you are likely correct in them trying to reach a broader, price sensitive crowd.

But, still, they started the retina thing and, while I may be alone in my view, I think it is a really big deal that sets them apart. If they can keep bringing retina, it will keep them on top.

Yeah, retina doesn't really help with movies, but for text and images, it is wonderful. And what is the iPad without the screen.

But if this next product isn't for me, I'm sure March 2013 will bring something. That might be when I get my second iPad.

By the way, how is the battery on your iPad 1 holding up? Is it still keeping a good charge?

I'm not disputing that retina is better. It's just a question of pricing strategy if they're trying for a more price-sensitive crowd. Plus, for someone who's never owned a retina screen, the diff might not be as stark, just because they have no frame of reference. Once you're used to retina, many people probably wouldn't want to downgrade, but some might if there's no other way to get a 7" iPad.

I could be wrong, of course.

My iPad 1 battery is holding up surprisingly well. I notice no diff between it and my iPad 2 battery, which I would expect after so much use. Of course, I'm not sitting around clocking battery life, but I would expect to notice a diff despite that.

uzumlubay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sept/Oct going to be very busy with loads of new tablets coming to market. At least 5 Windows RT machines coming up in October so the 2 big boys (Apple & Microsoft) playing mind games with rumours of specs & prices.

IF the Surface comes to market at the rumoured price of $199 that could be a real spoiler but pretty sure that is pure hype to try to upset the earlier mini Ipad launch - will be interesting to see how the next 2 months unfold.

Most reactions

Latest posts