What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Rumors

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DigiTimes claims that Apple will refresh its iPad in the first quarter of 2011, moving to a processor based on ARM's Cortex-A9 design, up from the current Apple A4 chip leveraging the Cortex-A8 design. The report also claims that the new iPad will carry the same 512 MB of RAM as the iPhone 4, up from the 256 MB found in the current iPad.

According to the report, the iPad will be available in both the existing 9.7-inch screen size and a smaller 7-inch size. The smaller version is, however, said to carry the same 1024x768 resolution of the existing iPad, resulting in an increase in pixel density to 183 ppi from 132 ppi. While not offering the same high resolution as the iPhone 4's Retina display at 326 ppi, content on the smaller iPad would appear a bit sharper than on the larger version.

DigiTimes previously claimed that Apple was planning both 5.6" and 7" iPad models using OLED display technology, although even it cast doubt on its own sources' OLED claims. And just last week, another report claimed that a 7" iPad is on its way by early next year.

Here we go again.

ipadfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I could see them bumping up the RAM but I'm not sure about Apple releasing 7" tablet. For one Apple does not like to carry lots of different Sku's.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is being extrapolated from Apples forward buying of chips etc. from far eastern suppliers.

Secrecy is well and good if kept in house but it's hard to keep suppliers quiet.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
meh, 7" iPad? no thanks...

I agree 9.7 or 10" is the right size for a tablet, although there are probably people would like something a little smaller 7inch, or a little bigger, 12 inches.

I would like to see them add a internal SD card reader.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My son hates the 9.7" screen and is limited by his iPod Touch's small screen. It's a question of portability, he would "wear it".
Still, if you look at the ebook readers out there, the popularity of portability is important. Five to six inches is the norm. An iPad in those sizes would be popular too.

What we need is a 12" iSlate...:D

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I dont see how a 7" screen is any more portable than a 10". You still cant put it in your pocket and have to hold it in your hands.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dont see how a 7" screen is any more portable than a 10". You still cant put it in your pocket and have to hold it in your hands.
A five to six inch is portable. My Sony Reader is a six inch and fits beautifully in a shirt pocket but I never carry it that way, I'm afraid of breaking the screen and it does need both hands to operate...

Most reactions

Latest posts