What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New report claims Apple is considering a cheaper iPad Mini

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
ipad-mini-iphoto-2.jpg

​
When the iPad Mini first came out, it was dubbed the cheaper Apple tablet – the only viable choice for users who want to save up but still taste some of the Apple goodness. Cupertino recognized back then the need to infiltrate the cheaper tablet market, as devices like the Amazon Kindle Fire proved to be more and more popular with consumers. Currently, the iPad Mini is priced at $329. But is this all Apple can do related to price chopping?

A new rumor propagated by Citi Research indicates that the tech giant is preparing a cheaper version of the already cheap iPad Mini. This might be Apple’s answer to those who have been complaining that even at $329, the iPad mini is still far away from the $159 of the Amazon Kindle Fire.

Glen Yeung, who wrote the article, insists that Apple’s on the verge of a new era, which includes lower prices and taking a few steps back from its high-end status. He argues that since we are expecting the cheaper version of the iPhone somewhere this autumn, a low-cost iPad mini might be in the cards as well.

To support his theory, Glen Yeung quotes Chief Operating Officer Peter Oppenheimer who was heard saying the following at the last earnings conference call:

"We are managing the business for the long term and are willing to trade off short-term profits where we see long-term potential.â€

An even cheaper iPad Mini would definitely be an optimal solu tion for developing countries, where $329 is still considered a lot of money.

Source: Cnet

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The first edition of the mini should have been $299. It's that under-300 psychological barrier that kicks in. $329 just reeks of a $29 tack on for extra profit. $249 would be even better.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The first edition of the mini should have been $299. It's that under-300 psychological barrier that kicks in. $329 just reeks of a $29 tack on for extra profit. $249 would be even better.

Amazing that a company would want to maximize profits, lol.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Amazing that a company would want to maximize profits, lol.

Oh I know, it's just that $299 sounds and is s much better for this device. I see it as costing $299 for the mini and then you pay a $29 service fee to actually buy the thing.

;)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh I know, it's just that $299 sounds and is s much better for this device. I see it as costing $299 for the mini and then you pay a $29 service fee to actually buy the thing.

;)

That sounds like a good way for Apple to make itself some bad publicity and get bashed but good.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That sounds like a good way for Apple to make itself some bad publicity and get bashed but good.

Not even bad publicity, just would have been nicer and sounded better if the mini was at $299 out of the gate. That's the way I see it anyways.

Most reactions

Latest posts