New patent suggests Apple is experimenting production of curved iOS device displays

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by RaduTyrsina, Dec 11, 2013.

1. RaduTyrsina

RaduTyrsina News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +84 / 0
    apple-curved-display.jpg

Apple is one of the richest tech companies when it comes to patent portfolios. Almost weekly, if not daily, a new patent gets revealed. This time, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office awarded Apple a patent that describes a method for manufacturing curved touch surfaces. Could this mean we will see a curved display iPad or iPhone in the future?

The patent, simply called “Curved touch sensorâ€, is described like this on the USPTO website:

The technology described in the patent patent could be used in displays, touch pads, touch mice and other devices. The new invention describes a manufacturing technique that could make accurate, curved touch surfaces without deficiencies caused by deformation or substrate warping.

Lance Whitney summarizes how this new technology would work

A curved iPhone or iPad seems too farfetched, because we know Apple likes to innovate its products with small improvements, but ones that are seen necessary by the consumers. As for curved display smartphones or tablets, we already have on the market the Samsung Galaxy Round and the LG G Flex and so far, demand hasn’t been high. What do you think – what are the benefits in using a curved display?

Source: AppleInsider, iPhoneForums

2. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +161 / 0
    Honestly, I can't imagine what a curved display would buy me as far as my iPad is concerned. Using them for large screens in a dedicated theater room is one thing but for my tablet or someone's phone? I can't see the benefits at all. But, that's just me.