What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New patent suggests Apple is experimenting production of curved iOS device displays

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
apple-curved-display.jpg

Apple is one of the richest tech companies when it comes to patent portfolios. Almost weekly, if not daily, a new patent gets revealed. This time, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office awarded Apple a patent that describes a method for manufacturing curved touch surfaces. Could this mean we will see a curved display iPad or iPhone in the future?

The patent, simply called “Curved touch sensorâ€, is described like this on the USPTO website:

A method of forming a curved touch surface is disclosed. The method can include depositing and patterning a conductive thin film on a flexible substrate to form at least one touch sensor pattern, while the flexible substrate is in a flat state. According to certain embodiments, the method can include supporting the flexible substrate in the flat state on at least one curved forming substrate having a predetermined curvature; and performing an anneal process, or an anneal-like high-heat process, on the conductive thin film, wherein the anneal process can cause the flexible substrate to conform to the predetermined curvature of the at least one curved forming substrate.

The technology described in the patent patent could be used in displays, touch pads, touch mice and other devices. The new invention describes a manufacturing technique that could make accurate, curved touch surfaces without deficiencies caused by deformation or substrate warping.

Lance Whitney summarizes how this new technology would work

The patent suggests placing a thin film over a flexible substrate while the substrate is flat. This new pattern is then joined to a flexible substrate. A high level of heat is applied, allowing the substrate to be manipulated into a curved state without warping or other defects. The resulting sensor display can be thinner than the traditional flat-substrate design and offer a higher degree of sensitivity.

A curved iPhone or iPad seems too farfetched, because we know Apple likes to innovate its products with small improvements, but ones that are seen necessary by the consumers. As for curved display smartphones or tablets, we already have on the market the Samsung Galaxy Round and the LG G Flex and so far, demand hasn’t been high. What do you think – what are the benefits in using a curved display?

Source: AppleInsider, iPhoneForums

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Honestly, I can't imagine what a curved display would buy me as far as my iPad is concerned. Using them for large screens in a dedicated theater room is one thing but for my tablet or someone's phone? I can't see the benefits at all. But, that's just me.

Most reactions

Latest posts