What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New (Old) Kid On the Block! Introduction...Lots of Advice Required?

norskipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:)Firstly Hello From a Very Snowy Norway;

And a Very~Merry~Christmas to One & All!

I am so pleased to have found the Number 1 Ipad Forum! Not only am I only new to the Forum, but also to the IPAD itself?
I must admit I had never seriously considered Apple,suppose I thought it was more a fashion statement or something!I was very wrong I hasten to add
I was 98.5% convinced something like the ASUS Transformer range was for me:eek: I currently run Chrome with win 7-32-Bit,on a old Dell~Studio which i regretted buying!

I was/am looking at for something more compact (see above) then I came across a review on several superb Aluminium Bluetooth Keyboards For IPAD and that started the ball rolling and its being rolling ever since;I became a total convert to the IPAD4.As yet I still have to buy the IPAD?

My health is very poor and there is a chance in the near future i could end up in a care facility,so now you see why I thought of a compact set up,something that I could take with me ,that can be used to surf,listen to my many 24/96 music files e.t.c e.t.c.
I have being looking very hard at every conceivable add-ons to make my set up as good as it can be.I do not have time to experiment and test drive lots of different accessories.so this will be a steep learning curve and corners will be cut through necessity.

It is difficult for me to go to the shops/stores and check out things,so I will really value and need a lot of expert feedback in most areas,it will be difficult to know where to begin but hopefully I can group my questions together rather than spread them over to many different forums unless the rules require me to post specific questions in appropriate forums?I have already saved lots of web pages from my extensive searches for IPAD accessories e.t.c.

From Keyboards to External Power products,Earphones,Cases and so on.

I will see what resp
onse I receive and hopefully get to know some of you guys

Many Thanks In Advance

regards Steve
:thumbs:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there Steve and welcome.

That is a great intro!

There is lots of good advice and info on here plus plenty of members all too willing to help with any problems.

Remember, search is your friend. If you can't find the answer you need and you post a question then give as much info as you can to help members help you i.e. iPad 1 or 2, etc. and iOS version and name of app if the problem is with a specific app........and please don't forget to read the forum rules http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

These are the hacking section rules for all you jail breakers (and would be jail breakers) http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2892-hacking-section-rules-please-read.html

We also have an app for this forum. The link to download the app is: Discussion Forum for iPad Users for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

You can download the manual for your iPad here http://help.apple.com/ipad/6/ and here http://support.apple.com/manuals/ and in iBooks search for "iPad user guide for" and you will find free comprehensive manuals for iOS 4, 5, 6, etc.

If you have other Apple products or are interested in other Apple kit then why not join our sister forum too at http://www.appleforums.net/ and for iPhone users, come and join in the discussion over at http://www.iphoneforums.net

The Archangel

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with concentrating your replies in one thread if that's what you want to do.

For what it's worth, I'll run through the equipment I use. I have an iPad 2 and an iPhone 4. I use the Apple Bluetooth keyboard, but there are other options. I'll leave other members to fill them in.

As far as cases go, it's going to come down to personal preferences. I use a Logix leather case which offers a degree of protection and makes the iPad easier to hold. That aluminum back is incredibly slippery. Screen protectors are, again, personal preference. My preference is to run without one.

For headphones, I have a set of Sennheiser wireless phones. I haven't tried using them on the iPad, because I usually use the Remote app to control iTunes on the PC, but I suppose it would work. Living in Scandinavia would have me running to the nearest Bang and Olufsen outlet, I have to say.

That's about it. Welcome to the forum, and I hope you find what you are looking for here.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll echo Kevin's comments on the Apple Wireless Keyboard, whilst I rarely use it now as I am so used to the onscreen keyboard it is a lovely piece of kit.

I have the Apple Smart Case for my iPad which I find does all that I need.

I too don't use a screen protector and both my iPads, despite intensive use, are pristine.

Finally, you might want to check out the iPad Connect section of the forums where much of the aftermarket add-ons are discussed http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-connect/

The Archangel

OP
N

norskipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:thumbs: Hello Gabriel & Kevin
Thank you so very much for your very kind welcomes,and informing me what kind of gear you have which is very much appreciated.I have just read the forum Rules before replying to you both.
Must admit there are a few sections i simply do not understand,but if I have any problems I will PM you guys to ask, if what I am intending to do is within the rules. Please excuse my ignorance but what do the following mean?Jailbreaking, Sockpuppeting :eek:I must admit me and forums do not get on very well normally,it`s just the way it is i suppose.

If I understand correctly I can mention products by name and link to there web page or general review link?e.t.c.
I noticed item 5.1 covers posting in correct Forum,I suppose it would be okay if I asked about the many add ons accessories for Ipad in one forum and IPAD matters, apps, e.t.c. in there appropriate forums?
Interesting you both like the Apple keyboard I have read a great many comments of a negative nature in general,of course I read quite a few positives as well.

If I can begin with KEYBOARDS there are 3 in particular that have really interested me 4+ if you count the well reviewed :-
LOGITECH Ultrathin Keyboard Cover I also like the look and sound of a couple of the ZAGGS to.but three I do wish to ask about are the CRUX,,& BRYDGE Keyboards I am fascinated by them for different reasons? and just wondered what members thought of them in comparison to Apples model and Logitech,Zaggs e.t.c.
must admit i was getting very excited about the BRYDGE model,but then started to read quite a few negs.the CRUX looks equally great but don`t care much for the way it holds the IPAD i? & the BRYDGE for me wins on that count.Then I thought okay its between these two I came across glowing reviews ,comments on the
oh my this could turn in to another war & peace:eek:

If I get most of my add-ons/accessories listed here i can concentrate on the main event buying and using the IPAD4 e.t.c.
:D

Re Cases I was thinking of the superb OTTERBOX DEFENDER with screen protection built in there were one or two other similar types (don`t like any leather, or similar)& I suspect if I choose one of the above keyboard set ups then the Otterbox will not be required but can look at those options later.

Re External Batteries/Chargers? I looked at the HYPERJUICE range to begin with,but on further investigation found a lot of mediocre reviews and poor feedback,but did find ISOUND & NEW TRENT ranges well reviewed and very popular,and I suspect there will be others.

One of my main uses will be my Music and I do not know if I will require a DAC/AMP or just BLUETOOTH to something like the well reviewed BIG JAMBOX? or similar,advice on this aspect very important to me.Next up Earphones or possibly full headphones the choice is amazing for both.now I suppose i could pick a pair of wired Phones for good music and Bluetooth for SKYPE e.t.c.I read many reviews on Bluetooth with mics and remotes that would do the complete job? comments appreciated.to pick out just two makes of earbuds:-MEELECTRONICS 161P & ATOMIC FLOYD & a couple of the KLIPSCH
+JAYS/WESTONE & SHURE;Once again feedback on all the above most welcome.I do not expect fellow members to address all the above ,but if you can chip in with any thoughts or suggestions on any one aspect, then I would value this very much.at least all the above gives everyone something to get there teeth in to and I am sure most of the above will be familar to members

I think I better leave it there have gone on far to much,such is my over enthusiasm and natural impatience,please excuse me for bombarding you guys on my first day to
:thumbsdown:

Very best wishes Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No problem.

Just want to let you know that one of the products you mention has given us so much trouble on this forum with continuous spam attacks that we simply refuse to allow the company's name to be mentioned.

I have therefore edited your post to reflect our position.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
N

norskipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Kevin,
Really sorry about that it took me a while to find which company it was,of course I had no idea they were such a problem!:mad:

best wishes Steve:thumbs:

No problem.

Just want to let you know that one of the products you mention has given us so much trouble on this forum with continuous spam attacks that we simply refuse to allow the company's name to be mentioned.

I have therefore edited your post to reflect our position.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No problem. One very good resource for accessories is the Supporting Vendors section of the forum.

OP
N

norskipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Kevin
many thanks my friend I will of course check out the supporting vendors section,I was just reading a thread one of several since joining..really great stuff and very high quality feedback

regards Steve:)

No problem. One very good resource for accessories is the Supporting Vendors section of the forum.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On the external battery..... I have the new Trent imp120d....a 12000mAH battery with both 5v @ 1A and 5v @ 2A outputs. So it can charge an iPad as well as a phone.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On keyboards, many here use and like the zagg models, the logitech Ultrathin and the apple models. All are Bluetooth and and well regarded. I'm not familiar with ANY of the other brands you mention.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ear buds, headphones, etc are all very personal choices.....as long as the have a 3.5mm stereo plug or are Bluetooth you should have no problems using them with iPad.

I have head good things about the jam box speaker. I have the creative speaker, which I find to be just ok, not great.

OP
N

norskipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trents look good

Hello AQ_OC:)

On the external battery..... I have the new Trent imp120d....a 12000mAH battery with both 5v @ 1A and 5v @ 2A outputs. So it can charge an iPad as well as a phone.

many thanks for your thoughts on the TRENT 12000mAH they look good and sem well thought of.the main reason I am even looking at a charger/Power is I am hoping (before my health precludes it) to make one last big trip so thought it would be great to have a really good and relaible external power source which will also help in the future to.

On keyboards, many here use and like the zagg models, the logitech Ultrathin and the apple models. All are Bluetooth and and well regarded. I'm not familiar with ANY of the other brands you mention.

Certainly the Zagg & Logitech Ultrathin are on my short list,the ones on my list just look interesting and there is quite a bit of feedback on them.but will wait and see If I get any feedback on them before making final choice
Ear buds, headphones, etc are all very personal choices.....as long as the have a 3.5mm stereo plug or are Bluetooth you should have no problems using them with iPad.

I have head good things about the jam box speaker. I have the creative speaker, which I find to be just ok, not great.

I think this aspect is one of the hardest I have looked for a long time through Forums & reviews at lots of ear & headphoneswill take time to get it right I think?

Very many Thanks
Regards Steve

Last edited:
OP
N

norskipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Kevin have checked out all the Supporting vendors on the Vendors page but they seem limited in what they offer,unless I have missed something,I actually would have thought a top forum like this would have had many more more IPAD accessory related Sponsers? just my thoughts on the matter

all the best Steve

Most reactions