What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Nook App

Raywilco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded the app, but when I download a book from B&N it asks if I want to open in the iPad Reader - no other option, so I said yes. Now when I click on the book it gives me a read error and says the book is empty. Any ideas? Do I need to disable the iPad reader? and if yes, how would I do that?

Thank you.

kjkwitte

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I bought 4 books on the Nook app and got the iBook question. I answered Yes and it put the first 30 pages of the first book in iBooks but with an error - so it only shows blank pages. However, the books are downloaded and perfectly fine in the Nook app and I've read all of them already. I had hoped to have one main library on my iPad where I could inventory everything that I have between apps. . . . oh well. If thats my only complaint I think I'm doing well.

kjkwitte

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also - I deleted the iBook app, rebooted my iPad and reloaded the iBook app - it came back with the same book and the same problem.

Mossi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suggest you get the Kindle app and ditch all the others. That way, you have all your library in one place. Of course, it isn't as cute as that little shelf of books.....

kjkwitte

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can read my books just fine in the Nook appmand I'm rather stuck with the B and N app for a while, as I received a ton of gift cards for Christmas. The Kindle app won't keep track of all of my books from other apps will it? I was hoping iBooks would be like a central library. . . .I'm not going to be that lucky, am I? Someone on another post suggested an app that would catalog and track your library across all ereader apps. . . .I would pay good money for that app.

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How about calibre? I use it and find it indispensable. It's free... but the author would no doubt appreciate a nice donation.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Calibre is an awesome little program ... but it won't help here. You have run into the DRM problem, where each bookstore's books won't run on another (as a general rule).

To be able to open a book in an ereader different from the one controlled by the store from where you've bought the books, you'll have to remove the DRM. Note that this also includes the Kindle.

There is plenty of data available on the web to help you remove DRM. Just know that in some countries, removing DRM is considered illegal. Oh, and no one has [yet] figured out how to remove the DRM that comes with ebooks you buy from the Apple store for the iBooks app.

A further plug for Calibre: If you have ebooks unencumbered with DRM, you can use it to manage your book files, convert to a format for reading on whichever device you wish, etc. Yes, you can use Calibre to manage your DRM'd ebooks - you just can't do as much with them (such as convert them to a different format). But, I'd highly recommend Calibre for anyone with an ebook library. The program is a free download. Just, please, give a donation to the creator, Kovid, as he works full-time on this most awesome program (and help him be able to continue improving/working on Calibre).

Marilyn

Last edited:

Bnunes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a nook and just got an I Pad. I have installed the nook app on the IPad but when my book comes up it only has about 10 words per page even at the smallest font size. any ideas what the problem is and how to fix it?

kjkwitte

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've noticed that it depends on the book. I've downloaded and read about 15 books since Christmas and each one is different and responds differently to the font sizing. I've had to be a bit flexible and realize that I can't make every book appear exactly how I would like it.

You can try a different font - some are smaller than others. You also can adjust the margins to put more print on the page.

Most reactions