What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New & need some help

rwsinky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum.
My wife has an IPhone 6 and has all but quit using the desktop PC in favor of her IPhone. She does a lot of texting, emails, and pictures. I want to get her an IPad mini for her birthday so she can quit trying to read everything on her phone. My questions are about the Mini and how it can interact with her IPhone.
Can she IMSG & email from the Mini? Will this require us to add a line to our ATT service?
Can pictures be synced so that a picture taken with her IPhone will show up on her Mini w/o having to do any complicated upload/download processes?
I am, as you can tell, in the early stages of gathering information for the Mini.
Thks,
Russ

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum.
My wife has an IPhone 6 and has all but quit using the desktop PC in favor of her IPhone. She does a lot of texting, emails, and pictures. I want to get her an IPad mini for her birthday so she can quit trying to read everything on her phone. My questions are about the Mini and how it can interact with her IPhone.
Can she IMSG & email from the Mini? Will this require us to add a line to our ATT service?
Can pictures be synced so that a picture taken with her IPhone will show up on her Mini w/o having to do any complicated upload/download processes?
I am, as you can tell, in the early stages of gathering information for the Mini.
Thks,
Russ
Welcome to iPadForums, Russ!

She will be able to send emails from her iPad as well. All you'll have to do will be setting up the email account on the iPad.

She'll also be able to send iMessages.

It's possible to sync Photos between the iPhone and the iPad. There are a few possibilities:
She can use iCloud to sync the pictures between devices. PhotoStream will sync them automatically, but it's not always reliable, tbh.
PhotoSharing also works with iCloud, and it seems to work better. The images she wants to see there have to be added manually, afaik.
She can use online storage to sync the photos between devices. Box, Dropbox, OneDrive allow uploading photos from the Camera Roll automatically. So she wouldn't have to load them to these storage systems manually.
Flickr can do the same, and she'd get 1 TB for free. She can keep the images private, so they wouldn't be visible for everyone.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Expanding on the phone service part.

In iOS 8 it is possible to link your iPhone's SMS services to your iPad. This makes it possible to send and receive your phone's SMS messages on the iPad. Before iOS 8 only messages sent via Apple's own iMessages service would appear on both devices.

You can even answer phone calls on the iPad (when they are on the same wi-fi network); though in my experience this is really annoying; when both devices are ringing right next to you. Fortunately it can be turned off.

So. You won't need an extra phone number or service from your provider. It's all done through Apple's servers.

OP
R

rwsinky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Expanding on the phone service part.

In iOS 8 it is possible to link your iPhone's SMS services to your iPad. This makes it possible to send and receive your phone's SMS messages on the iPad. Before iOS 8 only messages sent via Apple's own iMessages service would appear on both devices.

You can even answer phone calls on the iPad (when they are on the same wi-fi network); though in my experience this is really annoying; when both devices are ringing right next to you. Fortunately it can be turned off.

So. You won't need an extra phone number or service from your provider. It's all done through Apple's servers.

OP
R

rwsinky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I think I want this device more than she but once she gets it I think she will like it. Both of our young granddaughters have them so they can probably get her set up.
Thanks again!
Russ

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
She should also be able to just Airdrop photos and documents between the iPhone and Mini if she has both connected to the same WiFi and has the Bluetooth turned in. I think this is better than iCloud or Dropbox. It is just a preference. I, personally do not use iCloud except to be able to keep my contacts synced between devices. Not interested in having my photos and documents "floating around" on a server who knows where to be hacked. With Airdrop they just go between devices, not stored anywhere or "cloud" hopping. Again, this is just a preference of mine and am not looking for a discussion about why or explaining why, just giving another option. There are many options, so should be no problem.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Airdrop between recent model iOS devices does not require they be on the same wi-fi network. They discover each other via bluetooth, then create a peer-to-peer wi-fi connection when they transfer files.

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Airdrop between recent model iOS devices does not require they be on the same wi-fi network. They discover each other via bluetooth, then create a peer-to-peer wi-fi connection when they transfer files.

That is very good to know and since she will have new devices, that should work for her.

Most reactions

Latest posts