What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ukyorky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,
Just trying to get to grips with the iPad I've been left by my wife. It's a bit different to the PC and laptop that I have, so I'm going to have to ask some questions on the appropriate forums on how to perform various tasks.
Cheers.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums! We’re here to help with any questions or problems you may have.

OP
U

ukyorky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums! We’re here to help with any questions or problems you may have.
Thank's for the welcome, did read the rules, not sure what Avatar is, or how to get one, and not sure if it's compulsory to have one.
Will try to find the correct forum to ask a question. If I get it wrong, well I am new.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The avatar is the picture you see just to the left of a member's user ID at the top of any posts they make. To choose an avatar, tap on your user ID at the top right of any forum page when signed in, then click on avatar from the pop up menu that appears then follow directions to choose your avatar.

Fr3derick82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I’m a brand new iPad user so I have a lot of questions. My main question I have is, I just bought a iPad 10.2 7th generation iPad. I noticed that my photos from my iPhone transferred over to my iPad but not my apps. Is there a way I can keep my photos from my phone and iPad separate??

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

In the Settings app on your iPad, go to your name (at the top) - iCloud - Photos and disable iCloud Photos, as well as Upload to My Photo Stream, on both devices.

Fr3derick82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh okay gotcha. Does that go with text messages as well? I was hoping to keep my iPhone and iPad separate with certain apps/settings/phots.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh okay gotcha. Does that go with text messages as well? I was hoping to keep my iPhone and iPad separate with certain apps/settings/phots.

In Settings > Messages > Send & Receive you can change enable/disable what address the Messages app will recieve, and the address it will send from. You’re probably going to stick with the iPhone’s phone number for the iPhone, but you can use any email address you’ve set up on the iPad for it’s Message address.

Also, on the iPhone under Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding, make sure you do not have the iPad selected. Otherwise all messages from the iPhone will show up on the iPad. This will, however, prevent you from sending SMS messages. In other words, you won’t be able to send messages to non-Apple devices.

Other message apps will have their own settings. You’ll probably have to create separate accounts for each device. I’m not familiar with most of them.

Photo apps sometimes use the Photo library directly. Others have their own photo library, but can access the main Photo library to import or export photos.

You’ll want to visit Settings > iTunes & App Stores to make sure the various Automatic Download buttons are off; otherwise new perchases will be downloaded to both devices (if they have the same iTunes/App Store account). You can still manually download apps purchased on one to the other without paying twice.

Fr3derick82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Holy crap, this is awesome info. Thank you again. I would just like to keep both of my iPad and iPhone’s messages/photos/apps separate. My main concern was whatever pictures are on my iPad, if I delete them, they won’t get deleted in my iPhone. Thanks again

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

As long as you don’t use iCloud Photo Library, deleting a photo on one device will not effect the other’s library. Actually you can use it on one device. Just don’t enable it on both.

You can still use the Photo Stream. This allows each device to see the last 30 days of photos from the other device. The photos are not saved past that on the secondary devices, and deleting the photos from the Photo Stream album will not delete them from the original device’s main library (thought it may delete them from the Photo Stream album. Been a while since I’ve used it, so I’m unsure of the exact behavior details.

You can also enable Shared Albums on both devices, letting you create and sync only certain albums between devices (and others). Good mostly for sharing stuff with family and friends.

Keep in mind that if you are not using iCloud Photo Library you’ll want to make sure you have Photos enabled in your backup. Depending on how big your photo libraries get, you may need to purchase extra iCloud space (or do old fashioned backups in iTunes on a computer).

Do not neglect some kind of backup for your photos (and other iPad content).

Last edited:

Fr3derick82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much. I’ve done those so it seems to work. I greatly appreciate it

Most reactions

Latest posts