What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lisa2345

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I am happy to have joined this group. I love my iPad and have had it for two years. I do have a problem, my first and hopefully my last.

I have been using the free Notes app and found it very useful for the past two years. A short while ago,when I clicked on
the icon for Notes, it briefly came up (just it's bare outline of completely blank white space) and then closed. I have tried a number of times to bring it up again but it keeps closing on me.

I have been using it for recipes, book titles, menus, shopping lists, and all my passwords! Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do? I tried to find the app to download it, but can't find the download link for it.

Thanks for any help you can give me,
LisaD

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF!

If you use the Notes app that came with the iPad, you can't find it in App Store. It's built in and can't be deleted.

There are a few things you could try to prevent the app from crashing:
Reset your iPad: press and hold Home and Power button at the same time until the Apple logo appears.
Force close apps:
iOS 6: double tap Home button to reveal the multitaks bar, then tap and hold an app icon until they all start to wiggle and delete them.
iOS 7: same procedure to reveal multitask bar, then slide thumbnails above icons towards the top of the screen.

I've seen somewhere that looking for one of the notes you saved in the app, through Spotlight search, and opening the note this way will also make the app work the desired way again.

If these suggestions don't help, don't hesitate to post again. There's certainly a member trying to assist.

OP
L

Lisa2345

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much, Johanna. I did as you suggested. When I tried with a spotlight search I could see the notes are all there but the app still closes right away. Maybe I need to take it to my Apple store.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks so much, Johanna. I did as you suggested. When I tried with a spotlight search I could see the notes are all there but the app still closes right away. Maybe I need to take it to my Apple store.
Too bad that this didn't help!
Before you take it to an Apple Store, there's one more thing you could try: go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset all Settings.
You will have to enable your prefered settings/setup settings afterwards, but I hope that the app will stop crashing.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi Lisa - when you did a 'Reset' did you follow Johanna's​ directions (quoted below) exactly? You need to hold both buttons until the Apple logo appears (usually takes about 10 seconds or so) - I've been in several threads where users stop when the slider appears - the latter will not cause a 'hard' reboot of the iPad - so, you might want to try the maneuver again if not absolutely sure? Dave :)

Reset your iPad: press and hold Home and Power button at the same time until the Apple logo appears.

OP
L

Lisa2345

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Lisa - when you did a 'Reset' did you follow Johanna's​ directions (quoted below) exactly? You need to hold both buttons until the Apple logo appears (usually takes about 10 seconds or so) - I've been in several threads where users stop when the slider appears - the latter will not cause a 'hard' reboot of the iPad - so, you might want to try the maneuver again if not absolutely sure? Dave :)

Thanks. That is what I did. the Apple logo showed up. I waited then and after a few minutes I pressed the start button. when the first screen popped up I swiped . Then I clicked on the note icon and, like before, it opened briefly and then closed.

OP
L

Lisa2345

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I followed the steps and it did reset to old settings but the notes app still doesn't stay open. thanks for your help.

I was confused about one of your suggestions in your initial message: "iOS 6: double tap Home button to reveal the multitaks bar, then tap and hold an app icon until they all start to wiggle and delete them.
iOS 7: same procedure to reveal multitask bar, then slide thumbnails above icons towards the top of the screen."

I have iOS 7 so I did the double tap but then didn't understand about sliding the thumbnails above icons toward the top of the screen. I assume the little pictures are the thumbnails/icons and their identifications are below the icons. What am I missing?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I followed the steps and it did reset to old settings but the notes app still doesn't stay open. thanks for your help. I was confused about one of your suggestions in your initial message: "iOS 6: double tap Home button to reveal the multitaks bar, then tap and hold an app icon until they all start to wiggle and delete them. iOS 7: same procedure to reveal multitask bar, then slide thumbnails above icons towards the top of the screen." I have iOS 7 so I did the double tap but then didn't understand about sliding the thumbnails above icons toward the top of the screen. I assume the little pictures are the thumbnails/icons and their identifications are below the icons. What am I missing?
That's right. The little pictures are the thumbnails. You touch them with one finger and drag them upwards towards the top of the screen. If you were successful, the pictures and the app icons disappear.

Doing a reset usually doesn't mean to press the Power button. You press and hold both buttons simultaneously, and when the Apple logo shows up, you release them. Your device should then start on it's own, without that you have to do anything.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lisa2345

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Notes app problem

Thanks to all for the help. Although I tried your suggestions none worked. I ended up talking with apple. They had me do everything you all suggested, to no avail. I spent hours chatting with a technician and finally got everything working again.I backed everything up with iTunes. Then copied it from my iMac to my iPad. Life is good!

Most reactions

Latest posts