What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member with unstable iPad

kenfaulkes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am news to the forum although I've had my iPad 1 for just over a year - and love it. I have a problem. Periodically, the iPad runs amok - zooms in and out, flips pages in iBooks, closes one iBook and opens another, changes apps, connects to the internet, quite uncontrollably without any input from me. in short it becomes unusable.

I've tried turning it off, resetting it, restoring using iTunes, all to no effect. It's intermittent - most of the time it behaves normally, but then spas icy sky goes berserk.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a solution?

Ken Faulkes

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds unbelievable. Like it is possessed.

So you have tried a hard reset? Holding down the power button and the home button until you see the Apple logo?

Let it reboot.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Certainly bizarre behaviour!! I've never heard of this type of thing before. If Marie's suggestion doesn't work, it might be time to visit the Apple Store.

Tim

OP
K

kenfaulkes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Sounds unbelievable. Like it is possessed.

So you have tried a hard reset? Holding down the power button and the home button until you see the Apple logo?

Let it reboot.

Yes - I've done the hard reset, doesn't resolve the problem. But thanks for the suggestion.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm with Tim, take it to the Apple Store, if they see it doing that then I'm sure you will be walking out with a replacement.

The Archangel

hucash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey kenfaulkes! What did you do? I have exact problem with my ipad2. Did a search and this thread came up. Mine does exact same thing. I just power it down completely and when I turn it back up, it acts right for just a short while then it goes berserk! I had it jailbroken in the past then this started. I removed the jailbreak by upgrading but it did not stop. I have also had the screen replaced in the past so don't know what we have in common with our pads just incase any of these things cause it to act the way it does.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
hucash said:
Hey kenfaulkes! What did you do? I have exact problem with my ipad2. Did a search and this thread came up. Mine does exact same thing. I just power it down completely and when I turn it back up, it acts right for just a short while then it goes berserk! I had it jailbroken in the past then this started. I removed the jailbreak by upgrading but it did not stop. I have also had the screen replaced in the past so don't know what we have in common with our pads just incase any of these things cause it to act the way it does.

You likely have a defective digitizer. Did Apple replace the screen? You should take it to an Apple store to have it checked out.

BTW,this thread is almost a year old and it's highly unlikely that the OP is still monitoring it.

hucash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You likely have a defective digitizer. Did Apple replace the screen? You should take it to an Apple store to have it checked out.

BTW,this thread is almost a year old and it's highly unlikely that the OP is still monitoring it.

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. I will have the digitizer checked. Thanks

stich

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to let you know that I bought a used one on eBay from a reputable dealer and mine does the same thing as you described. From what the eBay add says, the sceens are replaced. Does that mean he did it wrong? He does have a 30 return police so I guess that I may ask for my money back and bite the bullet and buy new.

stich

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Time for a visit to the genius bar.

What does that even mean? Are you implying that anyone who buys a used iPad is stupid? Does that mean the "used" one you have right now is worthless and anyone who were to buy it from you is an idiot? Please explain.I only posted this to ask others what might be the problem with the iPad I have and if possibly there is an easy solution. If not, no problem. I can return it for a full refund.
Jack

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
stich said:
What does that even mean? Are you implying that anyone who buys a used iPad is stupid? Does that mean the "used" one you have right now is worthless and anyone who were to buy it from you is an idiot? Please explain.I only posted this to ask others what might be the problem with the iPad I have and if possibly there is an easy solution. If not, no problem. I can return it for a full refund.
Jack

Hi Jack,

The genius bar is the area in the Apple Store where you get help, it's nothing to do with calling anyone stupid and we certainly wouldn't allow that here anyway. So, if you have an Apple Store nearby you could make an appointment at the Genius Bar.

The Archangel

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
stich said:
Just to let you know that I bought a used one on eBay from a reputable dealer and mine does the same thing as you described. From what the eBay add says, the sceens are replaced. Does that mean he did it wrong? He does have a 30 return police so I guess that I may ask for my money back and bite the bullet and buy new.

You also have up to 45 days from the time you paid for the item to open an item not as described dispute through PayPal. That's 15 days more than the seller's refund time limit and will get you a full refund even if the seller won't cooperate.

stich

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't understand the post. Didn't know what was meant by "genius bar". Kinda' sounded like I was an idiot. Didn't mean to offend the poster. Will return my purchase as I just bought one from the Apple Online Store anyway
Thanks for the clarification Gabriel

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
stich said:
Sorry, I didn't understand the post. Didn't know what was meant by "genius bar". Kinda' sounded like I was an idiot. Didn't mean to offend the poster. Will return my purchase as I just bought one from the Apple Online Store anyway
Thanks for the clarification Gabriel

No problem, there are no idiots here and we are all learning all the time. I hope that you enjoy your new purchase.

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts