What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member with problem

Stewart1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I have recently got an iPad and an still working my way through all it's features. So far it's fantastic and really impressed.

However, I have a problem with the app store. In categories view, when you select any of the categories, I am am only bale to see the first page. I can't scroll through to any of the other apps within a category.

Is anyone else having this problem....or am I doing something wrong?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I have recently got an iPad and an still working my way through all it's features. So far it's fantastic and really impressed.

However, I have a problem with the app store. In categories view, when you select any of the categories, I am am only bale to see the first page. I can't scroll through to any of the other apps within a category.

Is anyone else having this problem....or am I doing something wrong?

Welcome to the Forum. You'll find lots of iPad enthusiasts here who are willing - perhaps too willing! - to help with any problems you may have.

OK - the App Store certainly - surprisingly - has 'issues', but let's just check something out first. I'm sure you'll have realised this, so please don't be offended, but just in case.....

You move from page to page in the App Store not by the usual iPad 'flick' left or right gesture (why - no one knows!) but by using the little arrows that are quite easy to miss that appear to the right and left of the page that you're viewing.

If the App Store has more apps in the category you're looking at then these arrows are a sort of off-white colour, if there are no more apps, then they're a dimmed grey. However, the arrows don't become 'active' until all the information and icons about the current page have loaded so you can't move rapidly from page to page - you have to wait for that page to completely load.

As I said, you almost certainly knew all this - so accept my apologies if you did. The App Store, as I mentioned, does not receive universal praise from Forum members. One constant complaint is that, if say you're on the fifth or sixth page of the apps in the category that you're interested in and decide to investigate an app more thoroughly then decide to return to the search, it frequently takes you back to the first page of the apps and you have to work your way through all the app pages again - very frustrating.....

Anyway, please get back to us if the above suggestion is not the answer to your problem and we'll put our thinking caps on....

Tim
Scotland

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've seen some comments from other members and it appears as though the App Store is having problems....perhaps try again later...

Tim
Scotland

lnwalk2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am also having the same problem with the App store. All of the icons are there and the arrows are grayed out and the list tells me I am looking at 1-12 of 7803. This worked before and now it doesn't. I have had my iPad for a week. Any help?

Blackfireant

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having exactly the same thing. It worked before without any issue, and as of earlier today, this issue where i can't go next page because the left/right arrows are dimmed out. It never happened like this before, there is no way to fix it so far, i tried shut down and reset of iPad, still not fixing this. Is it app store issue?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The store is having problems. We'll just have to wait for Apple to fix it. In the mean time you might be able to use the search function to find what you are looking for. You can filter by category there, and the arrows are still working, so far.

Of course, you'll have to enter some kind of search term. Maybe "the", or "a", though 'e' is the most common letter, so it should be safe to use without excluding too many apps.

Blackfireant

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's comforting to know at least it's Apple side of probelm, but not some setting that got messed up. Another problem i notice is that the pull down menu for sorting by Rating, Device, Price etc. After you make some choice selection, you can't pull down again unless you quit Appstore and go back again...so i guess all we can do now is wait....wait...wait for Apple slow response.

OP
S

Stewart1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Welcome to the Forum. You'll find lots of iPad enthusiasts here who are willing - perhaps too willing! - to help with any problems you may have.

OK - the App Store certainly - surprisingly - has 'issues', but let's just check something out first. I'm sure you'll have realised this, so please don't be offended, but just in case.....

You move from page to page in the App Store not by the usual iPad 'flick' left or right gesture (why - no one knows!) but by using the little arrows that are quite easy to miss that appear to the right and left of the page that you're viewing.

If the App Store has more apps in the category you're looking at then these arrows are a sort of off-white colour, if there are no more apps, then they're a dimmed grey. However, the arrows don't become 'active' until all the information and icons about the current page have loaded so you can't move rapidly from page to page - you have to wait for that page to completely load.

As I said, you almost certainly knew all this - so accept my apologies if you did. The App Store, as I mentioned, does not receive universal praise from Forum members. One constant complaint is that, if say you're on the fifth or sixth page of the apps in the category that you're interested in and decide to investigate an app more thoroughly then decide to return to the search, it frequently takes you back to the first page of the apps and you have to work your way through all the app pages again - very frustrating.....

Anyway, please get back to us if the above suggestion is not the answer to your problem and we'll put our thinking caps on....

Tim
Scotland

Thanks for this. Appreciate it.

I had been using the arrows at the top right and left of the page rather than swiping. It was all working fine until last Thursday. Since then in category view these arrows are inscribe. The filters at the top of each category page also don't work. But, surprisingly, the "sort" drop down does!

A week or so ago, I had a black screen event on my iPad - which I eventually sorted with a reset (holding the sleep/on/off button and the home button for 10seconds). So I was concerned that there was some functions in the app store app thatched not recovered.

But I can search, view new apps, top rated, etc fine. It's only the category view that's disabled for browsing.

You would think that if it's an Apple problem, as other people who were good enough to reply to me suggest, that they would fix it quick! After all for new users like me, browsing the categories is the best way of buying new apps to make best use of my iPad!

Stewart1

OP
S

Stewart1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lnwalk2 said:
I am also having the same problem with the App store. All of the icons are there and the arrows are grayed out and the list tells me I am looking at 1-12 of 7803. This worked before and now it doesn't. I have had my iPad for a week. Any help?

I found an app called "app miner" which lists all new/sale/free/paid apps in categories. It only goes back 3-4 days, but does let you see what's happening in category view!

OP
S

Stewart1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
The store is having problems. We'll just have to wait for Apple to fix it. In the mean time you might be able to use the search function to find what you are looking for. You can filter by category there, and the arrows are still working, so far.

Of course, you'll have to enter some kind of search term. Maybe "the", or "a", though 'e' is the most common letter, so it should be safe to use without excluding too many apps.

Excellent!

Just tried this and does work.

Thanks a lot

lnwalk2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
App store problems

I posted yesterday concerning the problem with paging forward or back in the catagories mode in the APP store. I called Apple tech support and was told that the problem could be that the new updates are soon to be released. That includes the 4.3 coming to the ipad and ipad2. However if you select featured from the tool bar at the bottom of the screen you can select your catagory and you will be able to page forward and back. Kevin from tech support said that the software update could be coming out before the ipad2 release date of March 11. Hope this helps. Thanks for the replies to my previous post.

Blackfireant

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great news, just tried again, now the problem has been fixed...the left/right arrows work again in Category in App Store.

Most reactions

Latest posts