What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member with connection problems

Reaction score
Hi All, I have just bought a new iPad with version 4.2.1 installed. I have a Wi-Fi connection to my 802.11n router and have full (3 bars) connection to the internet. If I use Google as a search engine I get responses to my searches almost instantaneously, but if I try to connect to any site (banks, eBay, Hotmail etc) I get a reply that the server did not respond.

I cannot even use the iPad to connect to the App Store or iTunes.

I have read the user manual and scoured the internet, but cannot find a solution. Can anyone help? Is my iPad faulty?

ipfuser653

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you connect to websites using the IP address instead of the domain name?

For instance, the IP address for Yahoo is 69.147.76.15

If you can connect to it you might want to check what DNS servers you have configured, either on the iPad or your wireless router, are correct.

Have fun,
Gleth

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi Gleth,
Many thanks for the prompt reply.
I have tried your suggestion, but still got the reply 'Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding'

kay

ipfuser653

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm afraid I can only suggest power-cycling the iPad or maybe resetting it via iTunes, but only after you've backed it up, in that case.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First check your router and be sure it not blocking you with it's firewall, if that's OK, try this. Go into Settings > General > Network > WiFi > (chose your network name) tap the blue arrow > tap "DNS" and change it to 8.8.8.8 , Google's free DNS server, turn the iPad OFF and then ON, try again. If OK great, if not, try this, unplug your router/wireless for about 8 min. and then plug it back in, on the iPad where you found the DNS setting, tap "Forget this Network", and set your network up again. Wireless is witchcraft.:)

Most reactions

Latest posts