What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Member Needs Help

jenedwards

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I was given an iPad for my birthday yesterday and previoulsy have only used microsoft products.

I want to use my iPad for writing a diary. Can anyone recommend an app please?

Also can I run Word on it? If not, again what app woudl you recommend?

Thanks.

Jen:eek:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I was given an iPad for my birthday yesterday and previoulsy have only used microsoft products.

I want to use my iPad for writing a diary. Can anyone recommend an app please?

Also can I run Word on it? If not, again what app woudl you recommend?

Thanks.

Jen:eek:

Welcome to the Forum - you'll find thousands of iPad enthusiasts here who are only too willing to help you with any problems you may have - in fact, the only problem you'll have is getting too much advice!!

In terms of Microsoft Word, that specific software won't run on the iPad - no Microsoft products will - but there are compatible apps that will work just fine.

I use Apple's 'Pages' app, which is MS Word compatible. It can read .doc and .docx (i.e. Office 2005, 2007 and 2010) format documents and export .doc and .pdf documents. It's a 'stripped down' version of Apple's Macintosh version of Pages so, if you have documents that are very complex in terms of formatting, you may find some slight incompatibilities, but it generally does a good job.

Certainly, any document that you author on the iPad will be 100% compatible with MS Word.

If you want to read the 'User Manual' (Help files) for Pages then have a look here

http://help.apple.com/iwork/1.3/mobile/interface/index.html#tan724868a9

You'll see, too, that Apple also produce other MS Office compatible products - such as Numbers (Excel compatible) and Keynote (PowerPoint compatible).

There are, of course, several other MS Office compatible apps out there - Docs2Go, Quick Office to mention just two, but I have no experience of them so I cannot really comment. I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback from Forum members who'll be able to give you their impressions of these other packages.

As regards a diary app - do you want one in which you can keep (write) a diary, or are you referring to keeping appointments etc? Maybe both!?

As I'm sure you're aware, the iPad has an 'inbuilt' native Calendar app that most people use to keep appointments etc. It's pretty limited in its capabilities, so several Forum members use other third-party calendar apps. I use 'Informant HD' which is a comprehensive diary, calendar, task and project manager. It 'sits on top of' the iPad's native calendar app and displays any appointments etc that are in that app. This can be important because several of the iPad's apps use its native calendar to register appointments and meeting requests or timetables etc..so, for example, if a friend emails you inviting you to a party at their house on Wednesday, March 2nd the iPad's in-built Mail app is 'clever enough' to recognise that this email contains a potential appointment or meeting and it underlines them and colours them in blue. If you touch on that it offers you the opportunity to put the appointment into the iPad's native calendar app and it does a pretty good job too!

So the fact that Informat HD 'picks this up' is a great attribute, because it saves you having to type all that information out again. If you want to see more of what Informant HD can do, search for it in the Apple App store and then click on 'Developer Website', where you can download their very comprehensive User Manual.

I should, as always, add the disclaimer that I have no connection with either Apple or the authors of Informant HD - other than being a satisfied customer.

You're going to really enjoy your iPad - it's a great machine and it becomes addictive.

Oh - and I nearly forgot - a belated Happy Birthday from everyone in the iPad Forum....have fun and enjoy your iPad.

Tim
Scotland

OP
J

jenedwards

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim,

That is very useful.

I was refering to keping a journal and have looked at "Dear Diary" what do you think?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim,

That is very useful.

I was refering to keping a journal and have looked at "Dear Diary" what do you think?

I can see two on the UK Apple App Store with very similar names. Can you see two Dear Diary apps in the US? (Different countries have different App Stores because of copyright issues).

They were both released on 1 April 2010 and have not been updated since.

Did you have a specific one in mind.......

Tim
Scotland

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just a vague thought as it's not a dedicated diary app, but evernote (free) might be worth looking at, as it syncs your entries across all your computers.
Best of all is it's tagging system so you can always find specific details easily.
Even if, God forbid, your house burned down your notes would be saved online and accessible from a web browser.

For Pity's sake think of posterity!
Oh and happy belated B.

Memphis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A suggestion

Happy Birthday Jen,

Here in the states there is an app called Chronicles for iPad and it seems to meet all my needs. Has password protection, multiple ways of backing up, has ability to add pics, can be posted to web sites and emailed. It is a single journal. There is a sibling product called Chapters which contains multiple journals. Good luck and welcome to the boards.

writerranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another vote for Chronicles for use as a diary/journal. That's its specific purpose and it was a labor of love - you can tell. Also, it's the same developer of my favorite writing app, Chapters.

Most reactions