What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member from Oz

eN0ch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.fullofgraceandtruth.net
Hi all,

I'm a longtime mac nut from downunder, and simply had to get one of these beauties! Finally convinced my wife, and am in my first week.

I'm not a multimedia freak, so probably won't be doing heaps with video, games, garageband, etc. Too old for that ;) .. although my Gen-Y kids tell me I'm a "closet hipster". But anyway, I do see myself using the iPad 2 (wifi 32GB) a heap for reading, writing and notetaking.

As a Christian pastor I'll also be using it for bible study, teaching, preaching etc. (Just done my first Sunday with it, and it was great :D ... Used a PDF in iBooks for my speaker notes, and Voice Memos app for background recording. All good, but ... (see below))

I have a mid-2007 macbook and an iPhone 4 to sync with.

I'll search and post elsewhere on the forum about some specific issues, but might just flag them here briefly in case anyone has a comment:
  1. Seems a shame that Apple haven't included the iPhone built-in Voice Memos app on the ipad. It's been great for recording my talks (for my podcast). The 3rd party "Voice Memos for iPad" app is a worthy substitute, but not as smooth workflow-wise (a bit more complex syncing to the mac). Hoping that might be addressed in future development.
  2. I was hoping to use Pages for my speaking notes. It possibly could work, but definite downside with page turning whilst speaking. Could do with page flip functionality a la iBooks. Hope that might be added too. That would also be better for workflow as no need to export to PDF.
  3. My head's exploding figuring out best option for taking notes in meetings and conferences. (I know there's a bit on this site about that, so will keep doing the reading ... but it's overloading my brain just now!!) Do I want to just type in Pages? Or use a stylus & text / draw app? (And which one??) Or handwriting recognition? Or .. ?? Any links to discussions or articles that might simplify this for me would be appreciated

That'll do by way of intro. So yeah - Hi, glad to be here :)

Regards,
Lance

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome I'm in a similar position to you but about 3 weeks ahead of you in ownership terms.
I find this iPad so handy I have already decided not to renew my Day Timer planner subscription for FY2011/12 and go paperless next year. For the first time since 1985 I won't be lugging a Day Timer everywhere I go.
One app that you may want to look at is The Age (or SMH in Sydney) app. For the first time in years I'm now reading the newspaper every day in a form that interests me and when I want to.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

Irish Rose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Old member from Pennsylvania, welcome to iPF. :)

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts