New member and can anyone help please!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions - Site Assistance' started by bigmo708, Jul 2, 2012.

1. bigmo708

bigmo708
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi,
    I am a new member and experiencing a problem and wonder if anyone can help. I purchased an iPad3 a couple of months ago and in order to protect the screen recently purchased some screen protection sheets made specifically for the iPad2 & iPad3. Upon applying one of these protectors I found it almost impossible to lose the "bubble effect" from the underside
    of the plastic. I decided then not to use the protector and removed it. The result of this is several small marks have been
    left on the screen and I am completely unable to remove them using conventional cleaning methods (as recommended by
    Apple)
    Has anyone else experienced this and can you advise on a remedy for this annoying problem.
    Many thanks for any assistance offered.

2. Poisonivy

Poisonivy
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i haven't heard of this before,try a proprietary spectacle cleaning fluid,i find this works well and is gentle enough not to cause problems,let us know how it goes.

3. bigmo708

bigmo708
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the advice but I have tried this to no avail - really annoying and frustrating problem.

4. Poisonivy

Poisonivy
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    have you tried ringing Apple? maybe they can advise.

5. Laurie_

Laurie_
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    What is on it? It is soft and sticky or hard?
    I'd do a little bit of research and see if you can use GooBeGone on it. I've never had any problem using it on glass, but just to be safe.
    I have yet to come across anything that product doesn't take off of glass or plastic.

6. bigmo708

bigmo708
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Laurie, will look onto your suggestion. The marks on the screen have appeared after I removed the screen protector (it was only on for a few minutes) and they look like small"spill" stains that have been left by the sticky side of the screen protector.

7. bigmo708

bigmo708
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Will give Apple a call. Many thanks for your interest and help.

8. Poisonivy

Poisonivy
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you're very welcome,hope you find a solution to your problem.

9. Laurie_

Laurie_
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Well Goobegone is an amazing product. Plus you can get it for a buck at a dollar store.
    We have a machine shop and we use it al lot got get rid of lables and taper residue on plastic and glass

10. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I just want to provide a caution, here. The iPad has an oleophobic coating, which is a chemical coating on top of the glass. It's there to make the screen more resistant to fingerprints (and to make it easier to clean). You run a risk of removing that treatment if you use any type of cleaner.

To directly quote Apple: "Don't use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia or abrasives to clean [the] iPad."

Just FYI ... you want to be very cautious with the cleaning product you use.

Marilyn