What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New "Mandatory" Facebook messengering App

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello All,

It is now said that the Facebook messenger app is a privacy buster. What are your thoughts.

Thanks!

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using Tapatalk HD

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In what way? Or more to the point, in what way is it more of a privacy issue than having messaging in the main FaceBook app. Either way, the same privacy policy and practices apply.

I'm not saying there are no privacy issues with FaceBook Messenger. I just don't' see how having a separate app has changed the issues.

OP
tlbaker

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In what way? Or more to the point, in what way is it more of a privacy issue than having messaging in the main FaceBook app. Either way, the same privacy policy and practices apply.

I'm not saying there are no privacy issues with FaceBook Messenger. I just don't' see how having a separate app has changed the issues.

Hmmmm, maybe it's just hype because it's new and that Facebook is demanding that we use a separate app.

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using Tapatalk HD

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes. I've heard a lot of complaining about the separation of the apps. I'd probably be annoyed myself, except I rarely use FaceBook messages. On the rare occasions someone sends me one I don't bother responding until I'm back at my computer; most of the time.

There are other ways of getting my attention if it is important or time sensitive.

My main complaint about FaceBook isn't their site or apps, but their tendency to gobble up apps I like and making them subject to the same privacy issues. I like to know what I'm giving each company in the way of information, but with both FaceBook and Google co-opting popular apps it's hard to know where the lines are drawn.

For instance. I truly loved the Moves app, but I don't feel like FaceBook needs to know every single place I've been, how long, and how I got there. True, the FaceBook app can gather some location information, but usually only when you make posts. More importantly I can turn off location services for the FaceBook app and lose little in usefulness. Not true for the Moves app.

Oh well, enough ranting. :)

OP
tlbaker

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score

You are still my iPad / iOS / Internet go to guy, Mr. Twerp. Right again as always.

http://http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/busted-myths-facebooks-messenger-app-24935171

Thanks again!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

Though, I was just being my usual contrary and argumentative self. I'd be wrong a lot more often if the exciting, inciting, click bait media had a better track record of being right.

Most reactions

Latest posts