What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New MacBook Pro User. Wow!

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Congrata on your new mac!

I purchased my first mac in 07, and haven't looked back. It was literally within the first few minutes of using my mac where I started understanding the intuitiveness of the OS, and before I knew it, I was loving it, wondering why I hesitated for so long getting one.

We added another mac in 08, and upgraded to another Mac in '09! Got the iPad this year of course, and am looking forward to getting the new 11.6" macbook air. It's not only crazy light and thin, but crazy fast too! If anyone doubts what a 1.4GHz 2GB mb air with 64GB of flash memory can do, they haven't seen one in person! It's definitely my next Mac purchase.

Like they say.. Once you go mac .. :)

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing I have found in this forum since I joined in March is the number of Long time Mac users and also the number of users whom have switched. Apple calls it the HALO effect . As I have mentioned in other posts my experience dates back to 1984 with t he Mac and further with the apple II (1977) looking back at what has happened since then is amazing. I was part of the negative down side back in the 90,s trying to provide Macs to my customers when every one was saying Apple is doomed. I even reverted to selling clones and had my wrist slapped by Apple as it was not allowed under my dealers contract. The good news was Steve came back and every thing moved forward. The big change was marketing and distribution by reducing the number of CPU,s from 30 to 6 and then offering CTO built to order thus becoming more efficient in controlling inventory. When osx finally matured large companies and high end users bought the top end macs by the bucket load as Apple had finally provided what they needed to be productive. I asked one of my clients the other day whom i have been supplying macs since 93 what is the best thing he loved about the Mac.. Answer. " cost of ownership is the lowest of any computers he had owned ". He also owns 5 pc,s for accounting. Just wanted to share that with you.....

Last edited:
OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really am impressed with this machine so far, I actually haven't touched my iPad since I got it. Granted, I know that my iPad will still have it's uses, so I'm not getting rid of it of course. I hated using my HP laptop due to the poor battery life and performance, but now I actually enjoy using my MacBook Pro. I do wired tethering from my Android phone and it works great at work when I can't access many websites due to government censorship.

These touchpad swipe functions impress me more and more everyday. I wish all computers made it this easy to do basic tasks.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OT, but where abouts in Japan are at btw? I was stationed there back in the early 90's (Yokota AB, Tachikawa area) - I too am originally from the Seattle area. Grew up there, in the early 80's. You and I are probably familiar with the same places and all.

Not sure how long you plan on being in Japan, but I highly recommend that, in the summer, to climb Mt. Fuji. Best thing I did when I was there. Arrive at the top just before the sun rises, and dress warm for the top. Bring a camera. You'll know what I mean.

Again, congrats on your mbp!

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm in Okinawa right now, but I lived near Narita Airport for my first three years. Been in Japan for 5 years total, wife is Japanese, so half of my family is here. I've done Mt. Fuji four times now, each time navigating a more difficult route. My first time up there was interesting to say the least. Saw a man in his 50's get blown over the rope by a big wind gust and he fell about 50-75ft, he survived, but sustained significant injuries. Also I guess a someone in a group of European tourists a couple hours behind us was blown off as well and died. We got to the top and saw absolutely nothing, weather was terrible. But the next three times were all good weather.

How long do I plan to be here? Another 2.5 years, then getting out of the military to go to medical school in the US. Might come back here to retire some day, but that will be many years from now.

I grew up in Seattle....Madison Park area near Lk Washington at the end of Madison Ave. Parents live across the water from Seattle now though.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been to Okinawa as well. Beautiful, but easy to get island fever. I spent several years on Orcas island, in the San Juans, and after that, decided that island living was not for me :p

I toured through Guam, the Philippines, Korea, Hawaii, Alaska, and Okinawa during my time stationed there. I've always wanted to return. Perhaps one day I will! Thanks for sharing your Mt. Fuji story. I am glad, looking in retrospective, that it wasn't windy when I climbed it back in '91. I can't imagine what it would be like to be blown off a mountain. Can't mess with mother nature! She always wins.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same thing.

Just in Japan they are called typhoons or tropical cyclones. In the US they are hurricanes.

Going off topic here (no big deal) but we had a typhoon here more powerful than Katrina, and the only real damage was some trees getting knocked down, a couple small cars/vans getting flipped on their side, and some signs getting blown over. We didn't even lose power. Just goes to show you what good preparation and well built structures can do, the Japanese (especially the Okinawans) are VERY well prepared for big storms.

Last edited:

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not all things Mac "just work" regrettably. Front Row is a real dog and Apple just don't care.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
True, as with any operating system, there are going to be things that don't work correctly for everyone. But so far my experience with OSX has been much more pleasant than Windows 7, at least for a laptop. I think I'll always have a Windows based desktop though, just because I normally build my own.

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not all things Mac "just work" regrettably. Front Row is a real dog and Apple just don't care.

Very true. Mac products do NOT "just work". I have had a few things that happened as well.

Back on topic though...I am thinking of a Macbook Pro and I winch at the price that Apple is wanting for them. They are good but they are no where THAT good.

Enjoy your new Mini-Macbook Pro!!

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using Front Row since 2007, on a Mac mini before they went to core2duo processors. I'm not sure what King Hal means that it's a "dog". Compared to what exactly? It has always worked fine for us, from our first mini to our current iMac.

As far as Apple not caring, could you elaborate? After being taken care of numerous times in person, online chat support, as well as over the phone, I'm surprised to hear that you believe that Apple "just don't care".

Kingsmuse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the 17" loaded Macbook Pro a little over a year ago.

I kept my Windows desktop as well.
I haven`t touched it in over a year but it`s still in my studio..over there..somewhere...I think.

I`ll never buy another Windows product, there are simply far too many superior choices now and more coming.

If Microsoft was smart they`d narrow their efforts to developing software/cloudware for Mac OS, Chrome and Android.
Developing software is what they excel at anyway and their Windows platform hasn`t been worth a damn since 98.

Most reactions